Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Tamiya DF-03 type >

Tamiya DF-03 type

Tamiya DF-03 type

Old 09-24-2010, 09:02 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

hey guys the hobbypartz battery I got today is a tight fit. Is there any cheap 5000mah battery that will fit the battery compartments without modifying the chassis? Thanks.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:21 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by angrymelon View Post
You may be better off getting these type of bullets for that application.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYXF3&P=7

I use them on my ZX-5 FS and they work excellent.

-melon
That is the plan eventually. The regular connectors is all I had at the time
Old 09-26-2010, 06:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Universals for DF-03 Rally

Can anyone point out for me which universals will fit the DF-03 Rally edition ? I heard that some of the ones for Tamiya touring cars will fit but not sure which model thanks.

Regards,
Joe Ling
Old 09-26-2010, 07:31 PM
Tech Adept

hey melon, so the 5000mah battery from hobbypartz does not fit - its too wide.

I did run the car today with the brushless setup - lost a rear dogbone after 2 minutes so waiting for universals, aluminum wheel hex and rear brace from rcmart. I was looking at some lipo batteries to fit my dark impact, as well as my tb02 and tb01 and ta03.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXLJ0&P=0

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUUE5&P=0

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYKT6&P=0

i think a rounded pack would be a great fit but i would love a 5000mah + capacity, although with an efficient brushless I'm not sure if it will make too much of a difference. I like venoms lifetime warranty/guarantee on its cells. Does anyone have these batteries and does it fit well? Any other cheap recommendations welcome. I have a 20 off 50 coupon from towerhobbies so I'd like to put it to use. Thanks.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:59 PM
Tech Regular

dont let this thread die.

this is my DF03 that i posted last year. love it. its been a shelf queen for a while mostly because i cant find the gear boxes anymore. about 1-2 screw on each gear cover is stripped.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Are they the parts you need:
http://cgi.ebay.com/0004432-Tamiya-D...item519416ab9f

Very nice DF03 btw.

& here's 12 pages of DF03 parts, options, vehicle's, etc.
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_trkparm...4.l1513&_pgn=1
Old 10-17-2010, 01:33 PM
Tech Regular

very cool, i was having a hard time finding those parts, will have to purchase some!
Old 10-17-2010, 05:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Originally Posted by littlebuddha View Post
hey guys the hobbypartz battery I got today is a tight fit. Is there any cheap 5000mah battery that will fit the battery compartments without modifying the chassis? Thanks.
I bought Zippy Flightmax 5000 lipos from Hobby King as they fit perfect. I went and bought 2 lots of batteries before I found the right ones lol.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Is anyone running 21.5 brushless system in their DF-03? I just want to find out what gearing you are running and also how you went about installing it as I can already see my brushless motor is having a hard time finding a cosy spot in the motor holder.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:20 AM
Tech Adept

bummpy My df03 dreams are still alive. I have a big box of parts ready to add. I will post picks when I am done. Does anyone know where I can find the longer 7cell (I think) tub chassis. I saw it once but I cant find it now I want to buy it . Prolly will have to buy the c/f though I am having trouble finding the $80 one in stock now too. As a matter of interest here is a cool body kit I am buying.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Team-AZARASHI-AZ...item2a0aac19f1
Old 10-20-2010, 11:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vazzo View Post
Is anyone running 21.5 brushless system in their DF-03? I just want to find out what gearing you are running and also how you went about installing it as I can already see my brushless motor is having a hard time finding a cosy spot in the motor holder.
If you haven't gotten the motor mounted yet, let us know which kind of motor it is. Maybe we will have some suggestions as to how to mount it. There are few tricks with the DF03.

-melon
Old 10-21-2010, 02:05 AM
Tech Adept

Does anyone know how and what gear diff would fit in? Surrely there must be a tamiya gear diff out there that will fit. I am having issues with my ball diffs slipping.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:43 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mjderstine View Post
dont let this thread die.

this is my DF03 that i posted last year. love it. its been a shelf queen for a while mostly because i cant find the gear boxes anymore. about 1-2 screw on each gear cover is stripped.

Did you use threadlock on the screws? I have read that threadlock ruins plastic. I guess you probabaly used tamiya anerobic gel. But just in case I thought I better mention it.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:17 AM
Tech Adept

I bought Zippy Flightmax 5000 lipos from Hobby King as they fit perfect. I went and bought 2 lots of batteries before I found the right ones lol.
thanks for the update. so they really fit?? i bought similar ones from hobbypartz and it was too wide. I ended up buying a 4000mah venom tamiya shotgun style - it fits all my tamiya cars so I'm pretty happy with it, and it fits the df03 perfectly as well.

quick update on my buggy - finally replaced my dogbones with unis ect - and took it out for a run - seems like brushless power is too much as it is slipping a little under acceleration - and a lot in reverse- also there is a clicking noise when the vehicle accelerates i cant decide whether its the font one way clicking in - or the diffs.
Also cant really tell if the diffs are slipping or its the slipper doing its job (the diffs seem smooth and the right resistance when turning one wheel) - it does make a "slipping" noise though - I dont want to damage the slipper or the diffs- cant really tell though as its the first time there has been enough power in the car for the slipper clutch to actually work. any ideas?

I'm getting annoyed a little, as i thought it would be able to handle a 4000kv brushless motor. anyways i've bought a xxx-4 and b44 so i'll get to try them out in the coming week.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:01 PM
Tech Initiate

This is an 8.5T Novak Ballistic. I just had to unsolder the wires and re-attach them so they faced out off the end of the motor instead of laying down on the length of the motor. Also had to shorten the wires down to around 4" and get the 4" sensor cable. There is just enough room for the solder tabs when the motor is in at this angle.

This is on stock spur and pinion and it runs fine. I think last time I took temps the motor was somewhere around 118F to 125F and the ESC was 130F give or take. That's after I put a whole 3600mAh TrakPower Lipo through it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.