Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Tamiya DF-03 type >

Tamiya DF-03 type

Tamiya DF-03 type

Old 11-02-2009, 07:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

wondering if one of you guys can help me out. I recently purchased a
DF03ra kit and I'm running a MM5700 combo in it and I'm worried about tearing up the diffs b/c of the power on high traction surfaces. Should I be worried about this, and if so then is there a slipper assembly availabe for it? This is my first Tamiya kit and so far I've been having a blast with it! I even brought it out to our local track and ,and ,and, sorry I just lost my train of thought b/c of some victoria's secret commercial Anyway, this thing was badass out at the track. Alot of the guys got a kick out of seeing a 1/10th scale sedan flying through the air off an 1/8th scale jump, which actually ended surprisingly well Thanks in advance for any input on the need for a slipper
Old 11-02-2009, 07:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Yup, the slipper came standard in the DF-03MS kit (the buggy). The MS version basically came with almost every hopup imaginable...

I wonder if the DF-03ra MS version will come out for it?

Here it is:

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-df0...5-p-19794.html

Forgot to answer your question! Yes, with a 5700, I would definitely run a slipper. Probably with any motor hotter then a 22T brushed, I would run a slipper...

It's a good idea in general to protect your drivetrain, especially when you forget to let go of the throttle while landing!
Old 11-02-2009, 08:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

sweet, thanks. I was worried about it from the start, so I have yet to run it hard on any pavement
Old 11-03-2009, 03:32 AM
Tech Elite

I'd also advise on getting the "basic" hop-up parts that many of the buggy guys (including me) got for our rides...

A lot of DF-03ra owners are also using the "Dark Impact" buggy body as a dust cover for their rally car... I wonder if it HAS to be the Dark Impact? I would think Keen Hawk or the Avante MkII would also fit? I wonder...
Old 12-14-2009, 05:05 AM
oty
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

see tom, u leave, and every1 stops talking, lol

we miss u!
Old 12-14-2009, 02:36 PM
Tech Elite

oty, thanks for the kind words, but I'm back! I'm planning on keeping my DF-03MS. It's too hopped up to sell. Was going to throw it on Ebay, but any price I get wouldn't be worth selling it for...

So things to do on my DF-03MS next:

1) Remove limiters inside the shock body to increase droop, but becareful of not too much that the dogbones will snap my outdrive...

2) Figure out how to brace the rear shock tower more... Possibly will have to use copper or brass tubing for this. I want to make sure I stop snapping the rear shock tower mounting point.

Good opportunity to re-do my shocks... Since I don't remember what the heck is in there. I know that the buggy likes to have about 35 to 40wt front and rear, with the BLACK one-hole piston front and rear, same weight oil front and rear, and this thing seems more balanced...
Old 12-14-2009, 05:01 PM
Tech Adept

I made a large CF rear shock tower that is braced to the chassis with 8 screws; 4 to the original holes and another 4 to the diff cover holes.

Sorry about the blurry photo...

Only ran the car a few times but it didn't break so far.

Avner.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya DF-03 type-imag0051.jpg  
Old 12-14-2009, 10:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ferret View Post
I made a large CF rear shock tower that is braced to the chassis with 8 screws; 4 to the original holes and another 4 to the diff cover holes.

Avner.
That is great! The only thing I hate about this car is the rear tower mounting to the diff housing. Great mod!
Old 12-14-2009, 11:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Ferret View Post

Avner.
That is awesome!!!! How thick is tower? 3mm? 4mm?
Old 12-15-2009, 04:06 AM
Tech Adept

It is made out of two 3mm plates. The visible plate is the size of the whole tower and the other plate is only the part above the green line (see diagram below). So the top is two plate thick (6mm) and the bottom part of the tower is just one plate thick (3mm).

The reason for that was that the diff cover is 3mm thick and creates a step that prevents a flat shock tower from mounting flush to all 8 holes. After making the tower I realized that I could have worked around that problem by using a one plate tower and simply placing four 3mm shims between it and the original mounting holes.

Avner.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya DF-03 type-imag00511.jpg  
Old 12-15-2009, 04:09 AM
Tech Elite

Well, I've managed to snap my 3mm rear CF tower on my B44, so doubling up on it might not be a bad idea...

That's an awesome solution to my last breakage problem, I may have to "borrow" your idea... The rear shock tower mount is the only thing that seems to break nowadays (besides the shock towers, which is to be expected when you case a bad landing upside down like in any buggies with exposed shock towers)...
Old 12-15-2009, 07:42 AM
Tech Adept

Please do.
I got a ton of useful info from this thread and posted the photo to give a little bit back.

Avner.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:20 AM
Tech Elite

Just a feeler. I've recently started my own RC company, and we're about to release some Polycarbonate shock towers for the B44.

If my company made some polycarb shock towers similar to the one that Ferret made, would you all be interested in it? I for one would like to make one just for my own use, I'm so sick of replacing the rear transmission case...

I've track tested the Polycarb shock towers on my B44 yesterday, this thing took a TON of beating and it only has a few scratches. No cracks, no fissures, no breakage...

Just a thought...
Old 01-01-2010, 03:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

How good is this thing on offroad.
Can it hang competivly with the B44 and Lazer 5 ?

I am gettign interested in the Buggy.
Also Does any one know if the 3Racing Carbon fiber fits the RA version ?
Old 01-01-2010, 05:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by iPearl View Post
How good is this thing on offroad.
Can it hang competivly with the B44 and Lazer 5 ?

I am gettign interested in the Buggy.
Also Does any one know if the 3Racing Carbon fiber fits the RA version ?
How much do you want to spend? At the very least you will need to do the following:

Get the slipper
Replace shocks with something better
Order a few extra A1 parts as that shock stay mount is horrible
Get some better wheels and tires
Replace the rear plastic diff with the metal one
Either get the Kawanda conversion for 48p spurs or mod AE spurs to fit
Most would replace the shock towers with CF
Get CVD's on all 4 corners

You might also:
want to get the front one way depending on your track
Get metal knuckles and hubs
CF chassis
Get the metal steering rack with ball bearings

I'm sure I have forgotten some things.
Other issues:
Space for electronics is very limited.
Battery space is unique
There is little motor cooing and esc cooling

If you are willing to deal with these issues it can be a capable car on the track. If you have a stock class you can probably get by. All we have is mod so I haven't raced mine in a while. I am trying this weekend!

I would suggest getting a B44, D4, or Lazer ZX-5 for racing. Out of the box you will have a good car. The DI is fun, but needs a lot of work to hang with the other cars. Of coarse driver skill is the ultimate tuning tool.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.