Tamiya DF-03 type >

Tamiya DF-03 type

Tamiya DF-03 type

Old 09-25-2009, 07:16 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oty View Post
@ Val,

i see what u mean. i tried making another 1, using ur advice, and i also used stronger gauge steel, but i ended up breaking 2 drill bits, lol
Just use some thickish aluminium to keep the weight down. You also should get some longer screws too.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I better keep my eye out on that section... Are you guys using the Skid/Bumper from T-Bone or are you using just the bumper style?

There's two types of bumpers made by T-Bone for the DF-03. The older one was just a front bumper that attached to the nose piece from underneath. The newer skid-style bumper attached to the nose piece and extends back towards the battery.

Alternatively, you guys can try out 3-Racing's carbon fiber chassis. I'm going to switch back to it if my plastic chassis breaks. I could've swore I bought a spare though...

I took my Df-03 out about four to five times, each time running about 8 to 9 packs through, haven't seen any stress or cracks on the chassis yet... But then again, I drive conservatively...

It's all luck and driving style IMO... I've seen some of the 1/8th scalers drive their stuff like they hate their vehicle and don't know what they were doing... I've cartwheeled my DF-03 thinking I've broken every suspension but nothing broke, but I've also landing gently at a slight angle and busted the front arms... I've noticed this phenomena on every vehicle...
Old 09-25-2009, 04:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Does anyone know who has the impact body in stock here in the US?
Old 09-25-2009, 11:21 PM
Tech Elite

Wow, I thought I would be able to find a Dark Impact body quickly, but I don't see anything...

Tamiya USA is out... A guy at my local track did tell me that Gearbox RC carries many DF-03 parts, not sure if they carry the body though...

Here's a google maps info of gearbox:

Gearbox Models ( RC / Airsoft )

2166 E Orangethorpe Ave, Fullerton, CA
(714) 992-9185 ‎

Try giving them a ring...

Old 09-26-2009, 01:54 AM
oty
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

bloody yanks, lol, u guys get everything strait away!!

i have to wait weeks, if not months for anything!!

TOM, ill be taking photos again, just showing off my DI, and im sure i have the newer T-Bone!
Old 09-26-2009, 12:04 PM
Tech Initiate

A couple of years ago, I bought a Dark Impact kit and modded it with 3Racing graphite chassis and shock towers. Also Tamiya aluminum shocks and front one way, etc. I was running a LRP esc and a 12 turn Trinity brushed in it. It was awesome at a smooth track I used to run at. Ended up selling it to a soldier in Iraq. Wished I had it back. Or at least all the money I had in it.LOL
p.s. I hate drive belts!
Old 09-26-2009, 02:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Can anyone tell me if there is an official write-up on a DF-03 to DF-03RA conversion, or at the least a list of the differences between the two?

Thanks!
Old 09-27-2009, 03:49 AM
oty
Tech Apprentice

it did list them all on the tamiya site, but the RA is discontinued 4 some reason??

here is the tamiya site 4 the dark impact!!

take a look around there, u might get lucky!
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=58370
Old 09-27-2009, 06:58 AM
Tech Adept

Hey , I race onroad electric , and have the DF03 (B/L) as a basher. Now want to take part in some club offroad races too.

What are the most important upgrades that I should consider ?
Which parts break the most ?
I noticed that quite a few people upgrade to alu on the forum. When I had alu parts on my onroad , they were not very strong , so which parts can I put in from aluminum ( bit of bling , and which critical parts should I avoid in alu ?

Thanks
Old 09-27-2009, 09:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gimpex View Post
Hey , I race onroad electric , and have the DF03 (B/L) as a basher. Now want to take part in some club offroad races too.

What are the most important upgrades that I should consider ?
Which parts break the most ?
I noticed that quite a few people upgrade to alu on the forum. When I had alu parts on my onroad , they were not very strong , so which parts can I put in from aluminum ( bit of bling , and which critical parts should I avoid in alu ?

Thanks
The biggest thing you need to do is upgrade the chassis. They have an extended chassis for it that allows 7 cell flat packs but it's even weaker than the stock one for breaking.
I've heard of a CF chassis and that may be the way to go.
I would research on how to properly shim the diff because that is also a huge weak point. Stock recommendations don't cut it.
Upgraded shocks wouldn't be a bad idea.
I wouldn't do much with aluminum really.

The car is definitely fun to drive WHEN it isn't broken but unfortunately it doesn't handle nearly as well as the B44, Kyosho, Losi cars.

Biggest thing is the chassis so get that figured out and you should have some fun.

Good luck!
Old 09-27-2009, 02:35 PM
oty
Tech Apprentice

spoken by the wise man himself, lol. (TOM)

Somethings I found to be essential:

1) Slipper Clutch - If you're running any kind of motor, brushed or brushless, no matter what turn, a slipper clutch is a must these days

2) 3Racing Rear Hingepin brace

3) 3Racing rear transmission brace

4) TBR Front Skid Plate/Bumper - This is a crucial one, this one will brace the front hingepin/nose plate to the chassis, a common area where the chassis breaks is the area where the front nose piece attaches to the chassis. Having the TBR Front Skid Plate/Bumper reinforces this union.

Here's the link to the TBR:

http://www.t-bone-racing.com/catalog/i250.html

Tell them I sent you as a referral. I don't get anything from them as referral, but I promised them that I'd spread the word since this bumper is such a wonderful product that saved a lot of my front upper brace/steering assembly area because once the skid "braces" the front-end, I stopped breaking it.

Before this brace, I broke about 10 of the upper front brace (A-parts tree), which was a pain in the butt to keep replacing...

Lifetime warranty on their bumper, you can't lose...

I've already had bumpers replaced by TBR when it did break, they honored it everytime and sent it to me right away, no shipping charges or fees for replacements!!!

Come join us in our DF-03 thread, we would love to have you in there and hear your experience.

As for your gearing, a 17.5 can be geared pretty tall. What I would gear it:

81T AE Spur (you can fit Associated spur by reaming out center hole of the Associated spur gear EVER SO SLIGHLTY)

with 24-26T pinion (experiment with it depending on your track condition).
Old 09-27-2009, 03:21 PM
Tech Elite

thanks for the kind words oty, I'm not a wise man, I just had a lot of help and input from everyone on this thread!

regarding aluminum parts, the only aluminum parts on my suspension are the hubs and knuckles (shocks too if you count that). My suspension arms are plastic.

Oh yeah, the steering assembly is also aluminum. I bought it because I wanted bearings for my steering...

That reminds me, I gotta buy some bearings for my SC10's steering cranks...
Old 09-30-2009, 11:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jcruiza120 View Post
Can anyone tell me if there is an official write-up on a DF-03 to DF-03RA conversion, or at the least a list of the differences between the two?

Thanks!
sorry for the late reply, your message must've gotten lost in the noise!

I think the difference in the parts (correct me if I'm wrong RA owners):

Suspension arms front and rear
Shock towers front and rear
CVDs/Dogbones front and rear

I think that's about it... The only difference I can tell anyways...

I'm thinking about converting mine to an RA version as well... Maybe use some after-market RA components. Been really wanting a solid on-roader since the on-road track opened at the same facility as my off-road track...
Old 10-01-2009, 02:11 AM
Tech Elite

The list of parts you need to convert has been reviewed in the DF03RA thread if I remember correctly. You need the shocks as well, and the suspension arms (rear) come in two sizes to cheange the wheelbase for various bodyshells, so perhaps you need to consider what shell you want to run before you decide what you need to buy.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:28 AM
Tech Elite

Oh yeah, I forgot about the shocks

Kinda cool that it comes with two kinds of arms for the rear... Wish Tamiya did that for the buggies as a tuning option.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.