Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Tamiya DF-03 type >

Tamiya DF-03 type

Tamiya DF-03 type

Old 05-12-2009, 12:20 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

sweet thanks for the welcome. ive been looking throught this thread for a while and finaly made my own account.

so far my df03 ra is stock. with a mamba 4600kv on stock biggest spur. smallest pinion. reason on the b4 conversion is the availability of the parts. my rally car could clear the triples easy. but i over tighten the rear diff and blew the whole rear. im debating if i should get stock parts again and just locking the rear or do it the right way. any tips on beefing up the rear end.?? it seems like an on going problem on the df03. i kinda miss the sealed diffs.

anyways so should i be using the tamiya slipper with the associated pad?
Old 05-12-2009, 12:29 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by advanaw11 View Post
sweet thanks for the welcome. ive been looking throught this thread for a while and finaly made my own account.

so far my df03 ra is stock. with a mamba 4600kv on stock biggest spur. smallest pinion. reason on the b4 conversion is the availability of the parts. my rally car could clear the triples easy. but i over tighten the rear diff and blew the whole rear. im debating if i should get stock parts again and just locking the rear or do it the right way. any tips on beefing up the rear end.?? it seems like an on going problem on the df03. i kinda miss the sealed diffs.

they make new tamiya's still?
Old 05-13-2009, 08:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Is it worth replacing the standard 3mm steel balls in the diff with something like ceramic balls? I can get some locally for $2.20 each, still pretty pricey.
Then i saw Tungsten Carbide balls...... hardness rating 91..... $4.23 each...
Old 05-13-2009, 10:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

if you race, or bash a lot, its worth it so you dont have to rebuild the thing all the time.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by advanaw11 View Post

Well, you don't have to use AE's pads. You can just trim the Tamiya's to fit into the AE's keyed spur gear. I just chose the AE's slipper cause it's readily available for me... So on mine, the spur, the slipper PADs, are AE. Rest of it is the Tamiya stuff that came with the MS kit...

Does anyone have a "brace-like" scheme for the rear shock tower mounting location? The mounting tab that is part of the single-piece rear lower gear box is starting to crack again... I'm thinking about trying to fabricate some brackets to hold in place.

I know Jon has mentioned a brace before...

Jon, do you have any pics of that rear shock tower brace? Perhaps I can "borrow" that design on mine as well...
Old 05-17-2009, 04:40 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Fitting an EZRUN 8.5T Brushless has any one done it

Hi there,

I have an EZRUN 8.5T Brushless with 60A ESC.

I am trying to fit it into my DF03 but failing miserably.

I ordered the brushless system before I got my DFO3.

The Solder tabs for the motor only allow th emotor to fit with them pointing backwards but then I cannot line up any of the motor mounting holes.

Anyone got any suggestions???

Thanks
Old 05-17-2009, 08:29 AM
Tech Adept

Keep trying man, My mate has the exact same motor and esc, and has fitted his motor to his df03. We built ours at the same time.
Im assumign you soldered the wires on the motor the the wires poking outwards. And it should only fit in there 1 way. It's a pain i know. Same problem with me 4300KV ezrun motor as well.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:53 AM
Tech Rookie

Default EZRUN 8.5T

I will try it again.

Dont suppose you have any pictures of how your mates fits in?

I will maybe try and fit it when someone who is better at soldering then me is around so we can see how it goes.

Also is your mates a standard chasis or is it a carbon fibre one.

Mines is CF, I didnt build it so trying to find my way around.

Cheers
Old 05-17-2009, 08:56 AM
Tech Rookie

Default DF-03MS reversing

I have put a Tamiy Sport Tuned RS540 motor into my DF-032MS to try it out.

I received it built and was informed that the slipper pads needed replace.

I have done this (they included spare pads) and tried it out with the motor installed as my first run.

Should this car have problems reversing?

It does revers but you have to go incredibly slowly otherwise the slipper just slips and the motor spins and the car goes nowhere.

I tried tighteing the sprin g but this made no differenc to reversing.

Is this normal??

Also breaking seems to be no existant, its just a freewheel to a stop.

Thanks

Graeme
Old 05-17-2009, 12:05 PM
Tech Adept

Sorry don't have a pic of it, ill ask him when hes on.
He uses the stock plastic tub chassis.

Hmm a sport tuned motor should sitll give this car some kick.
You have the MS version right?
Which means you also have the one way center.
Which is the cause for ur sluggish reversing speed and handling and woeful braking. This is the bad side effect of having any type of One way unit, the plus side is that the car corners better.

To replace the One way center shaft you will need to buy an extra alloy center drive cup, much like your front one (blue) , also get two 5mmx10mm x4mm bearings. You'll find an extra spare tiny drive pin, bevel gear and take off the e-clip from ur current drive cup shaft. basically u build the same thing as u did on the front.

This will give you full time 4WD, sharp braking with no spinning out, plus much better reverse function. A few of us here have done this on our DF03MS's.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:23 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Cheers Duck

Thought the reverse was to do with some of the stuff in the MS.

I think I may leave the one way in just now, as I am planning on taking it racing.

I got the car prebuilt so wasnt sure of what was put into it, it is the MS and has a Xenon Carbon Fibre Chasis, plus lots of extra tamiya and GPS allot parts.

I think I will rebuild the car onto the plastic chasis and get a better feel of how it all hooks up.

Need to get some more screws and stuff, as that seems to be the only things my cars short of.

Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the help

Graeme
Old 05-17-2009, 03:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I know Jon has mentioned a brace before...

Jon, do you have any pics of that rear shock tower brace? Perhaps I can "borrow" that design on mine as well... [/QUOTE]

Sorry Tommy, don't have a pic of it and haven't worked on make a CNC copy yet. Basically Iggy just took an aluminum plate and cut it to fit around the lower back half of the diff box and filed off the screw cups to mount it flat on the rear of the diff box.

I'll see what I can do to get one made this week.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

still not working on the brace...sorry...

Tommy, they have "Tamiya Boomerangs" over here for sale....seen 'em there yet?
Old 05-20-2009, 10:27 PM
Tech Elite

Hey Jon! It's been awhile... Work has been really crazy lately, and unfortunately (or maybe fortunately?) it pays for my RC so it takes precedence!

Yeah, the Tamiya Boomerang is released (or re-released!) here as well:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWGV5&P=7

But all things Tamiya is imported. So it just takes a retailer who has enough interest to import them in.

I usually don't buy Tamiya kits from Tower (I sometimes do buy parts though), since Tower is weird with Tamiya stuff, it's usually WAAAAY over priced...

Most of the time, I buy my Tamiya goods from RC Mart and Stella Models from Hong Kong... Even with the high shipping rate, it still comes out cheaper then Tower's prices... The annoyance is, since RC Mart and Stella is overseas, it takes about two to three weeks to get it. Even then, my local Post Office sits on it for another week or so...

Don't get me wrong, I love Towers, been their customer since I was a wee boy... But the last Tamiya kit I got was a re-re Fire Dragon, but I bought it from MyAtomic off Amazon's site... MyAtomic was a great seller, I highly recommend them as well...

I think I have an idea of what you are talking about for the rear shock tower mount brace... Basically, it sheers off, so anywhere you can anchor it would act like a brace... I noticed on my current transmission casing, it's starting to form cracks, so what I did was I took some scrap strips of plastic I get from the flashing of parts trees, cut it so it's flat on one side, then glued it along the edges of the shock tower mounting tab so that it's glued to that tab and the rest of the transmission casing below...

I don't know if that'll hold. I think it's merely a bandaid to make it stretch further...

Man, that's my last week point on my DF-03... The lower half of the rear transmission case. The front ones haven't broke since I put the front skid/brace by TBR. But the rear ones have been breaking over time...

Right now, the other stuff I'm working on is try to get more droop out of my DF-03. I purposely placed a ton of limiters to not let the CVD ends go near the edge of the outdrives, but I'm going to try to adjust the limiters on my shock to take it as *close* as possible to maximize the droop.

I also took off the rear stabilizer, since it felt too stiff no matter how thin the oil I used...

But most importantly, I need to put in a new set of electronics for it! I stripped the receiver and the ESC off of it to complete my SC10.

I'm waiting and searching for a good deal on the Tekin RS or R1 (don't mind sensorless) ESC since Tekin's form factor is so damn sexy! I thought I found one, RC Boyz was selling a 13.5T RS Pro for $199-ish price, but they backed out after the order was placed stating "it's out of stock." Most likely they screwed up on the pricing, cause I've NEVER seen any RS Pros at that price with the motor...

I'm on a fanatical path of using electronics with small footprint for the DF-03. The Mamba Max did fit, but I didn't like how it took up so much space... *sigh* maybe I should just get it over with and get another MM. Castle's Brushless systems are my favorite, just wish they would do some more work on their form factor...
Old 05-20-2009, 10:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by LoonyToonz View Post
I got the car prebuilt so wasnt sure of what was put into it, it is the MS and has a Xenon Carbon Fibre Chasis, plus lots of extra tamiya and GPS allot parts.
/jealous!!!

How big are the EZRUN ESCs? Does anyone have a pic of it in the DF-03 chassis?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.