Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Tamiya DF-03 type >

Tamiya DF-03 type

Tamiya DF-03 type

Old 05-01-2009, 10:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Indeed Jon, there are so many new DF-03 owners every week.

I just want to tell you new comers to this thread WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME!

One of the greatest thing when you're into a particular car is when you see many participants and you're able to share and take in so many ideas to improve the car!!!

Like the Q-Tip trick, never even thought of loading it onto the Dremel tool... Thanks Jon!

StuC, the GPM stuff that I'm using on mine are the front C-Hubs, front and rear knuckles, and the "front lower gearbox" (kinda of a misleading label since it's not a gearbox. The "front lower gearbox" part is the nose of the vehicle, just wanted to turn that into an aluminum part to keep the hinges from ripping off. But I have a front hingepin brace (Five Star part, from RC Champ in Japan) and I also use the 3Racing rear hingepin brace.

I used a 3Racing graphite chassis as well, but I went back to the stock plastic chassis. I kept breaking the lower half of the front gearbox so I reverted back to the plastic chassis with softer damping to hopefully be able to distribute the shock during landing.

I think once I see the breakage stop, I"m going to go back to the graphite chassis and try the same softer suspension. I kept breaking them from just normal usage, not even crashing or head butting another car on the track...

I did manage to break one of the rear arm a few trips to the track ago, but the hinge where it attaches to (the lower half of the REAR gearbox) wasn't damaged at all, most likely because the 3Racing rear hinge brace is working!

The other parts I did put on were the TB Racing bumpers, their latest "skid" style one for the front, and the TBR racer for the rear. I also have the sway bar kit from Bahrz (www.bahrz.com). You might not see it on ebay, which is where he usually throws it onto, but if you email him on the contact page, he will kit a sway set for you. It's funny how there were provisions for a sway bar but Tamiya never officially released/specified one...

As for tires, I think the high density spike from Tamiya works well, but since I have access to Prolines and JConcepts stuf, I opted for those. Currently, I'm running the Holeshot LP 4wd front and Holeshot LP 2.2" buggy rears, M3 compounds, and it hooks up pretty well.

On my other 4wd, the B44, I've reverted back to the JConcept's Double Dees since I hear it last longer, so the next set of tires for my FD-03MS (It's my DF-03MS with a Fire Dragon body, hence, the "FD") will be either Double Dees or the Goosebumps.

I don't think there's anything wrong with Tamiya's tires, as far as I can tell, it's pretty high quality. Their insert looks real trick versus the traditional foam stuff that you have smash and mash to prevent it from bunching up...

If you're running it on a fairly dusty or slightly loose track, I'd recommend the Goosebumps. All my track buddies who run on these conditions have swore by this tread, they even told me that it runs "better and better as it wears."

I may end up opting for these on my next set to experiment.

Other then that, my bling-bling mod is the Fire Dragon body. I LOVE the Dragon-series of Tamiya cars back when I was a kid, so I just had to mount one of those on there. I know that there are many other Tamiya Vintage fans who have mounted the The Hornet body on it, which looks REAL trick with the DF-03 chassis. One of them even transplanted the DF-03's innards onto the The Hornet chassis. I didn't want to do that, I love the DF-03 chassis as it is...

I think another body that might look really cool would be the Hotshot body. I might try that once the Fire Dragon body starts to get worn down...
Old 05-02-2009, 07:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)

wrong thread, meant to be in db01

Last edited by hacker; 05-02-2009 at 08:25 AM.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:04 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hi StuC, good to see another West Ozzie DF-03 driver here!

Well anyway,

I took my Dark Impact out racing last night. I had just the day beore installed a new stock rear shock tower as the old one was developing vertical cracks up both sides near the gearbox mounting tab. During the first few warm up laps I managed to get the car in a spectacular cartwheeling crash at the end of the main straight. Snapped the lower portion of one of the sides of the shock tower clean off. Luckily, I still had the old one handy so I was able to fix it before the races commenced. Luckier still I was able to find the dogbone. In the past the rear shock towers had been fairly long lasting considering the extreme abuse (bashing) I put them through. My question is, would I be better off going carbon fibre? Or would that just be easier to break and wasting money.

Maybe I was unlucky and the plastic was abnormally brittle.

Also thanks for the heads up guys, on the T-bone racing front bumper/skid. I'm very very happy with it. Certainly toughens up the front end. Very worth the purchase price IMHO.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:04 PM
Tech Rookie

so here are a couple of pics of what it looks like thus far. the other pics i posted a couple pages back were a month or so before any hopups were added.

specs so far
keen hawk
stock27t motor 82t spur 26t pinion
teu-101bk esc
futaba s3003 servo
futaba ms am radio system
3racing universal joints
3racing titanium turnbuckles
tamiya heatsink bars
tamiya slipper clutch
tamiya df-03 upgrade shocks

i ended up with the hawk because i ended up with an extra set of electronics not getting used. the guy i bought my blackfoot from was a crack pot and i needed a receiver that was the right one for the third time said my esc was bad. he didn't just uninstall it he just cut it out of my car and an esc from another one of his cars. i just grabbed the pieces and left. he sold me another bad receiver. i ended up buying a hundred bucks in electronics to test and all my stuff was good except the receiver like i even told him.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya DF-03 type-kaw.jpg   Tamiya DF-03 type-kaw2.jpg  
Old 05-02-2009, 06:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tom_chang79 View Post
Curious, are you the same "sim" from oOple forums?
That's me.

The Losi shocks are about as good quality as RC shocks can get but they are longer than all other brands (for buggy or truck) and they can only run Losi springs (bigger diameter) so you will still have a very long shock or if you shorten them, you will have an oversprung shock.

Never tried them on the DF-03 but always found them a bit odd sized compared to other brands. All the other brands are more or less compatible in diameter with slight variations in lengths (Associated, Tamiya, Yokomo, Hotbodies).
Old 05-02-2009, 08:03 PM
Tech Elite

What's up, my fellow DF-03ers? moth_baller, your ride looks awesome, it's time to take that puppy to the track to rip up some dirt.

I took my FD-03MS out today to a newly opened track. I had the most WONDERFUL time there. The high-traction dirt did help, but the biggest thing that held my car together was the TBR Front Bumper/Skid that I bolted on. THIS THING WORKS WONDERS.

If you go a few pages back, I've complained endlessly about breaking the lower half of the front gear box. This part would break even during a normal landing, which forced me to stock up on the A-Parts tree (I think I've bought a total of eight A-parts tree so far, with four of them in stand-by).

I tumbled my car, nose dived into the track, hit pipes going full speed, and nada. No crack, no breakage around the loop area of where it attaches to the two posts behind the steering. My suspension still felt stiff (gotta go lighter on the oil), but this piece held together. I truly believe that it was the contribution of the TBR Front Skid/Bumper that held it in place.

I did things today that would tear any 4wd to pieces, but the ONLY thing I broke today were the TBR REAR bumpers. I cased a lot of jumps with the nose too high and landed the buggy on its tail. I think after doing this repeatedly, it finally gave away. But luckily, Richard and Andrea at TBR has the best warranty in the industry. So I should be getting a replacement soon...

Also, removing the one-way. WHAT A DIFFERENCE. The buggy is so much easier to adjust in the air, and off throttle felt so much better. One-way system in a 4wd is a love/hate relationship. I can definitely say I can live without it.

About the FD-03MS (DF-03MS with Fire Dragon body). The Fire Dragon body did not put enough down force on the buggy. It's not like the buggy was sliding all over the place with it, it's just I ran an experiment running two battery packs back-to-back and changing out the bodies, and with the Dark Impact body + TRF (6.5") wing, the buggy was planted going into a corner at full speed after a straightaway.

I will post my buggy's parts list in a little bit. I think the setup I have right now makes the buggy nearly bullet proof (we all know making any RC bullet proof is impossible )....
Old 05-03-2009, 03:06 AM
Tech Adept

Tom that sounds blody wonderful!

So far i've oly ran my DF03 once in an empty parking lot at night just to run everything in. I havent even cut out a rear wing or the body yet.
I've ordered all the parts needed to also get rid of my center one way, i cant wait! 4 Wheel brakes!
As i hit the BMX track here a lot, I definitely need the control of all 4 wheels i the air and on the ground for brakes!

How does the Race Spoiler included in the MS kit compare to a Jconcepts High downforce V wing? I have a new spare Jconcepts wing, and i think thye feel slightly sturdier, thicker lexan especially at the base where it mounts so i might use that.

Anyhow i'm about to paint my body. Any tips people?
I bought white, metalic purple and Smoke. I also have cherry red left over from df02, it sorta looks like a redish pink.
Also bought some tamiya maskign tape, might as well buy premium to avoid and paint leaking through my cheap masking tape.

So when i paint the body should i mask it off completely with the tape? or say use glad wrap or something and only use tape along the edges?
Kinda annoying tamiya didn't include and mask offs precut ....
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya DF-03 type-dsc00003.jpg  

Last edited by Forgetful_Duck; 05-03-2009 at 03:46 AM.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:12 PM
Tech Rookie

i bought this ramp on friday, stuffed it in the closet and well forgot about it til a little while ago. craigslist find. i still haven't really tried the suspension on the blackfoot since i upgraded it. should be fun. the buggy will not be going off of it i don't think.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya DF-03 type-ramp.jpg  
Old 05-03-2009, 05:15 PM
Tech Addict

Hey guys!

Just wanted to chime in here and say congrats for all those progressing with their DF03's. Looks like everyone is coming along quite nicely with their builds, etc.

Kinda makes me want to get one again - if they would just make it in the DB01 plastic it would be fantastic.

- Paulie
Old 05-03-2009, 07:59 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by pgeldz View Post
Hey guys!

Just wanted to chime in here and say congrats for all those progressing with their DF03's. Looks like everyone is coming along quite nicely with their builds, etc.

Kinda makes me want to get one again - if they would just make it in the DB01 plastic it would be fantastic.

- Paulie
Hey Paulie! It's been a whle since your last post on here. I concur with the plastic. I don't understand why Tamiya cannot simply pour the DB01 plastic into the DF-03 mold. The DB01's intent was to be an affordable, low-priced 501x type of 4wd... It's not like the plastics on the DB01 is high end, it's just better then the stuff they use on the DF series of buggies.

I've asked them this before, I've emailed Tamiya asking them why can't they make the DF-03 parts out fo DB-01's plastic. They said that they will forward that email to the group in Japan (apparently, all of these were designed in Japan).

The way I figured, it would've been nice if they made all the DF-03 parts out of the same plastic as the DB01's, or at the bare minium, the A-arm's plastic. The A-Arms on the DF-03 seems to be made of a different plastic, which is as strong, if not stronger stuff then the "carbon" bullcrap that other companies like AE and Losi has been shoving down our throats...

I would much take the RPM nylons over the "carbon" bullcrap...

But I think I found formula to keep this car in one piece. The amount of abuse I put on my DF-03 yesterday was proof enough for me:

Chassis: Reverted back to the stock plastic chassis

Shocks: One-hole black pistons (non MS kind) for both front and rear, 45wt/45wt for front and rear, Associated shock oil. Black springs, front and rear. This area, I think it can go softer, as the rear still felt too stiff. I'm going to be trying 45wt front, 35wt rear. With the same springs.

Uses the TBR front skid/bumper. The rear has the TBR racer rear bumper.

Five-Star aluminum front hingepin brace, the rear has the 3Racing aluminum hingepin brace. The rear also has the 3Racing transmission brace, which is the stuff that goes over the top of the rear transmission. I'm also using the 3Racing aluminum steering rack assembly.

GPM c-hubs for the fronts, GPM knuckles front and rear.

I've reverted back to the plastic nose piece because of the Five Star aluminum front hingepin brace. Probably wouldn't hurt to put the aluminum GPM ones back on...

That's about it. I think the most important piece as I have mentioned was the TBR racing bumper.

That's it! No more breakage for me except for the normal stuff that breaks like the arms. However, I'm still scared of breaking the rear transmission box, the portion where the rear shock tower attaches to. Jon mentioned about putting a brace back there, I think I have some ideas on how to do that too.

Ok, back to wrenching on my buggy for a dust-off...
Old 05-04-2009, 11:04 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by tom_chang79 View Post

Uses the TBR front skid/bumper. The rear has the TBR racer rear bumper.
i just bought the
Tamiya Dark Impact- Bumper Set by TBR
"N" series bumper set for Tamiya Dark Impact.
TBR Racer Set- NRS

But theres a BRace bumper set, which is $2 more. What's the go?
I think i might have bought the wrong thing if the Brace set is better.....

Which one do you have?
Old 05-04-2009, 08:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Forgetful_Duck View Post
i just bought the
Tamiya Dark Impact- Bumper Set by TBR
"N" series bumper set for Tamiya Dark Impact.
TBR Racer Set- NRS

But theres a BRace bumper set, which is $2 more. What's the go?
I think i might have bought the wrong thing if the Brace set is better.....

Which one do you have?

I used to have the TBR "Grumpy" bumper set, which was a set of bumper that were cut out of Delrin, which was the material they used to use.

The front bumper was carved with a "grumpy" face if you look at the bottom, and the rear was a normal 3-hole design. Because it was a Delrin one, it's under their old plan, which is covered for three replacements (which is not bad at all).

Their "N" bumpers are nylon based, so it's unlimited replacements I believe.

Back to the question, the one that I do use is the Front bumper/skid style, which is made of Nylon so it's covered for unlimited replacements, the rear is the same one that I've had for a while...

http://www.t-bone-racing.com/catalog/i250.html
Old 05-05-2009, 01:26 AM
Tech Adept

Yeh i bought the wrong one!

But i e-mailed them and Rich replied and confirmed that the brace set is the one with the longer front, the underside has a longer tail, reinforcing more of the chassis than the standard bumper.

man what a bloke, he asked me whcih one i wanted, and since he's alreayd posted my order, (havent got it yet, i'm all the way over across the pacific ocean) he's offered to post me the Brace front bumper for free. And would apprreciated if i'll send the standard one back once i got it. Awesome! Service like that I'll gladly post it back!
Old 05-05-2009, 07:10 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi,

anyone can help me out with my DF03 problems ?

I drive it at my local club in the stock class (still brushed 27T)
I like the crisp and agressive cornering from this car , think the reason for this is the short wheelbase and my center oneway !
Even the Tamiya type K tires perform well in most conditions on our track, I make the Losi -opposition jealous when I say they don't wear but do really perform! ! !

1) no matter wich gear I put on, I'm always slower at the straight than the Losi XX4, and I don't feel there's slop in the gears or bearings.
I think there are just too many gears in this car, also the internal ratio f 3.05 is huge if compared with other 4X4's (around 2 or 2.5), perhaps this give more power loss?
I bought the df03ra spur and pinions to try something different, but it doesn't seem much faster though ! Only my motor heats up a lot more (the bad feature that all 27turns have imo !!!)

2) I messed up my alu gear from the slipper shaft after only 3 racedays, the replacement is allready showing wear after a couple off batteries.
Is there a stronger alternative for this soft Tamiya aluminum gear ?
(I used the gear that I removed from the original main shaft, because else I had to buy a complete slipper set again!)

Now I put it all back together without any grease on the gears, the first time I'd put some tamiya grease in,as mentioned in the manual, what do you people do to keep the internal gears from wearing so fast ?

thanks for the solutions I hope to receive,

Kurt from Belgium,
DF03 DI driver at MRCO.tk
Old 05-05-2009, 11:28 PM
Tech Elite

Hi Kurt, welcome to the DF-03 thread!

Let me try to answer your questions:

1) First, what's in that XX-4? I've never tried a 27T brushed in any 4wd, the highest turn motor I've done is a 19T and it felt sluggish. I don't think gearing is the issue, you might want to go with a mod motor if you want to go fast, if you do go mod motor, you can start with a 15T brushed, cheapie machine-wound ones (I've never found any value in a good hand-wound brushed since I don't race).

2) To save yourself from wearing out the steel shaft where the spur is attached, get yourself a slipper clutch. You'll get yourself a new steel shaft when you do get a slipper clutch, and plus the slipper clutch, when properly adjusted, can save that shaft from stress. My rule of thumb for adjusting the slipper clutch is to allow it to "slip" for about 12 inches (1 foot) when throttle is applied to it fully.

Regarding the grease, I use Team Associated's black grease. I believe these black grease is the same black grease used on garage doors (they smell the same ). I don't have any doubt that Tamiya's anti-wear grease works just as well, if not better. I just have ALOT of these Team Associated black grease because I've owned so many of their cars and parts...

Hope this helps

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.