Tamiya DF-03 type >

Tamiya DF-03 type

Like Tree1Likes

Tamiya DF-03 type

Old 08-11-2008, 08:03 PM
Tech Master

You can try:

www.speedtechrc.com

I know he carries 3Racing and KM Concepts for the Tamiya DF-03. Maybe he can get more 3rd party stuff, you will just have to ask.

Talk to Jeff, tell him I sent you. What can it hurt.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tom_chang79 View Post
Ricky, where are you getting these parts from? Do you know of a distributor in the US that sells 3rd-party aftermarket parts for the DF-03 cars?
I been getting my parts right from Km and i get the rest from ebay.as far as hop ups go.I have not found anybody in the states that stock a lot of parts for this buggy.Untill now ever since i started this project there as been a lot of interest up at the shop So i goin to start stock the df-03 and 501x parts.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Sweeeet.... Maybe your after your DF-03 is finished, you should put it on display.

Maybe when the new shop website is done, I'll be getting parts from you...

Gotta get a buggy first...

Is your shop going to carry the DF-03 MS kits? Those are the hot ticket to an instant upgraded DF-03...
Old 08-12-2008, 02:05 AM
Tech Elite

Which aluminum parts are better in quality for the DF-03?

1) GPM
2) TOPCAD
3) YEAH RACING
4) 3Racing

Old 08-12-2008, 12:26 PM
Tech Adept

If you go with the df-03ms it is a lot cheaper than going with the dark impact and then buying all the hopups.As far as who is better,I hve bought from 3racing and the rest have come from KM and tamiya.If you want one of the DF-03ms you better get one why yu can they are a limited run.And yes i plain on carry the df-03 series and the 501x
Old 08-12-2008, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

Ricky Bobby, being a hobby shop owner, do you deal directly with Tamiya? Do you know if this buggy will be supported for a while?
Old 08-12-2008, 06:27 PM
Tech Adept

No I do not deal direct with them.I buy from great planes and horizon hobbies.
I think tamiya will keep the supporting the DF-03 series not sure about the the df-03 ms they say it is limited run of them but they have like 3 others that have the df-03 chassis design. I will get some pics up as i get it done.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:04 AM
Tech Elite

The other three chassis are:

Dark Impact
Keen Hawk
Avante MkII

The only difference between the three are the bodies.

The DF-03MS is just a Dark Impact kit with upgraded parts inside to bring it up to race specs (sort of).

Are you talking about an additional 3 different cars? I'm always curious about what kind of body Tamiya will release. Their bodies are always a beauty IMO...

Old 08-13-2008, 10:14 AM
Tech Adept

No those were the 3 i was talking about.Yes tamiya makes some great bodies.

Iam A BIG FAN OF TAMIYA This will be my first one that i will race since the late 80's.Most of my tamiya sit on a shelf and never move.So iam really excited about this buggy.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:46 PM
Tech Elite

Bought myself a DF-03MS kit today... Awesome kit, can't wait to build it... One gripe:

NO TIRES!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAArgh!

I guess since it's a "racer" kit, they probably figure that the user wouldn't like the included tires (and they save money with that thought process )

Oh well, I hope the standard 2.2 buggy tires fit these rims... Now where did I put my spare holeshots...

Anyone here know of a way to fit some B44 rims on this car? Would be nice to be able to fit some B44 rims so my B44 can share tires and wheels with this beauty...
Old 08-16-2008, 09:49 PM
Tech Elite

Ricky Bobby, is your shop planning to carry some hopup items for this car? The first and foremost is the GPM DF3008, which is the aluminum front lower gear box. This would isolate the breakage on the front-end to be just on the arms and not the lower gear box.

How about the other aluminum parts for this car? I think some of them are quite trick and if you use aluminum in the right places, it can definitely help strengthen this car. The parts to replace for aluminum that I'm thinking are:

front steering knuckles (3Racing, Yeah Racing, GPM, TOPCAD)
front hubs (3Racing, Yeah Racing, GPM, TOPCAD)
rear hubs (3Racing, Yeah Racing, GPM, TOPCAD)
front lower gear box (GPM)
rear chassis brace (3Racing)
rear hingepin brace (3Racing)

The other trick items that should be replaced by carbon fiber:

chassis (either KM, Xenon, or 3Racing)
front shock tower (damper stay in Tamiya lingo)
rear shock tower

I wouldn't make the arms aluminum though, I think the car starts getting super heavy at that point. Besides, if you made the entire front aluminum, the impact will transfer into your CF chassis, assuming you're using aluminum front lower gear box, which you don't want...

Same with the shock towers, I'd just run with carbon fiber ones or keep the stock plastic ones...

I wish more places supported this car, more people drove this car... It's not as tuneable or no where near race worthy as my B44, but I've never really had to adjust the anti-squat or anything else on my B44, I just got used to the default setting and didn't notice those little areas to be a problem...
Old 08-17-2008, 06:14 PM
Tech Adept

Once the indoor gets going i plan on getting some of the parts.

I didn't get any of the aluminum.parts for the front,execpt for a spacer that goes under the front gearbox,I bought the 3 racing CF shock towers.the km chassis.and rear aluminum rear hubs,I still need to get the blue drive shaft and motor plate.

I do think this buugy can do very well against all the other 4wds,If the 501x was shaft drive i would be trying it to.

I hopeing my parts make it in this week they shiped from hongkong on the 13th So i can get going on this.

I still have not decided on what electronics iam going with on this one.

I just built my xxxt-cr last week and i installed the new losi brushless system but iam not sure if i like it not being sensored.So iam looking at some other systems.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

http://www.tamiyausa.com/tcs_races/register08nats.php

Sorry to jump in on your tech stuff, TCS finals w/ 4WD Buggy class... anyone?
Come on out and school our 501x's!!!
Old 08-17-2008, 10:47 PM
Tech Elite

Ricky Bobby, I hope you get your parts soon too! I can't wait to get mine. I just ordered a BOAT LOAD (excuse my pun) of parts for this car. I bought:

1) 3Racing graphite chassis
2) 3Racing graphite front shock tower
3) 3Racing graphite rear shock tower
4) 3Racing rear hinge brace
5) 3Racing rear transmission brace
6) GPM front arm
7) GPM rear arm
8) GPM front hub
9) GPM rear hub
10) GPM front steering knuckle
11) GPM front shock tower (will use these if the graphites snap, pray that it doesn't!)
12) GPM rear shock tower (hopefully the graphite won't snap!)
13) GPM front lower gear box
14) Five-spoke Tire/Wheel set (it was $15 for a set of 4s, gotta try them out at that rate!)
15) GPM front bumper
16) 3Racing front diff outdrive
17) 3Racing rear diff outdrive

I'm not sure if I'm going to use all of the parts. I'm going to try to keep many of the suspension components stock until they break, then swap them out for the graphite/aluminum parts if they do...

Will post pics of this car once it's done. Can't wait to receive my parts!
Old 08-18-2008, 10:41 AM
Tech Adept

Awesome parts list.I can't wait to see how that chassis works out for you.
Plus your parts list just reminded my that i forgot to order thw 3racing Hd outdrives.

On the shock towers i was thinking of double up the front shock tower for sure and i will probaly double up the back as well.

It would be nice if some of the locals that i race with would get into this buggy it would be nice to compare them in person.

Looks like you are going to have to move closer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.