Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Tamiya DF-03 type >

Tamiya DF-03 type

Tamiya DF-03 type

Old 02-14-2009, 02:52 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Could someone post a detailed photo or scan of a df-03 tranny that doesn't have the one-way installed. I bought an aluminum cup to replace the one-way version and it uses different bearings and I am not sure how it all goes togather cause the MS manual only shows the one way version.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

tamiyausa.com doesn't have the MS manual but they do have the dark impact manual which is quite handy since the MS and the dark impact/keen hawk/avante shares 90% of the same parts...

http://www.tamiyausa.com/pdf/manuals/58370ml.pdf

T Fears, I think you'll find the tranny assembly in there that doesn't have the one-way since the three original DF-03s didn't come with one-ways.

Interesting to note is that the two bearings used in the one-way is different in size then the non-one-way assembly.

I need to get a hold of these two bearings to experiment with the buggy without the one-way.

Update:

I managed to break another rear shock tower mount (the lower half of the rear transmission box). I also managed to crack the rear shock tower at the track. I think these two were the signs that the shock tower was being hit really hard (my wing is beyond damaged to the point that it's not protecting the rear shock tower).

My 3Racing carbon rear shock tower is gone now Oh well, I knew this day would come one day so I'm going to swap it out for the GPM stuff that I bought.

On another note, the aluminum arms did hold up pretty well though... Also, the 70wt with the black one-hole pistons in the MS shock is TOO much. I'm going to swap out the pistons with the black two-hole one from the same "V parts tree." to lessen the dampening. It was smooth as hell on smooth areas but any little bump caused my car to go out of control, it would donkey kick or do a sudden 90-degree hop...

Also, I did manage to break one of the ball cups up in the front camber link. To be fair, it broke because I shaved it down too thin (to clear the C-Hub carriers). I replaced the ball cup with Kyosho's and they work FANTASTIC!

I highly recommend anyone out there that have loose ball cups to replace the next ones with the Kyosho set. The Kyoshos are beefy and really length so there's lots of depth for the threading...
Old 02-15-2009, 06:18 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by tom_chang79 View Post
Update:

I managed to break another rear shock tower mount (the lower half of the rear transmission box).
Tom, I saw the fix my buddy made for the rear gear box brace. I highly doubt breakage will be an issue any longer in that area. Sadly I didn't have my camera...

With that said though, he is buying all my DF03 stuff. He has 2 DF03's already (1 is his, and 1 for his son) and would like all my hop ups and spare parts.

I went ahead and picked up a DB01 since it's more supported here (with parts regularly stocked). Of course, I couldn't just leave it stock, so I went ahead and picked up all the supporting stuff to make it bulletproof, or at least what I think would be bulletproof.

Have a look:

I'll let you know how it goes if you guys are interested (after all, this IS the DF03 thread, ha ha).

- Paulie
Old 02-16-2009, 07:23 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Best of luck with the DB-01, exciting times ahead!

ps I wouldn't mind to know how it goes for you as I'm thinking down the same lines.

Val
Old 02-17-2009, 07:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

tom chang:

that ebat auction seems to have the whole conversion chassis unless my eyes are deceiving me. only time will tell though. it should be delivered in a day or two. i will keep my fingers crossed that i didnt get ripped off.

but from what i can tell. its the entire conversion and all those other parts.

thanks for the help with the screw bits. if this shipment doesnt work out the way i want it too, i think i will be making a trip to the Local Hardware store. they have tons of nice 3mm hex bolts.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:54 AM
Tech Regular

got the box last night. and WOW, was it full of goodies.
he even through in a tamiya TEU-101BK speed controller. brand new.

i can even list everything that was in the box.

a complete Ceramic Bearing kit.
5 star parts galore including knuckles front and rear,
enough SS screws to build 3 DF03 kits.
A complete KM-Concepts saddle pack chassis kit, unasembled.
TRF Aerartion dampers,
tamiya White spring kit
Tamiya Blue and Smoke parts tree.
tamiya Slipper kit
Tamiya one way
Tamiya hard turnbuckles

the list goes on and on, but this is all from memory. i will have to take some pics for all of you to see what i got. If i were to tally the costs up it would easily reach $800 of parts, all for $144 on ebay. best deal i have ever gotten on there.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:06 PM
Tech Elite

mjderstine, that is an awesome deal indeed! I couldn't see the full listing cause it was over.

paulie good luck with your db01 looks likes funnew toy!!! keep us all posted I myself is curious on all things tamiya.

I'm curious on the how the df03 saddle holds up against other saddle 4wd like the b44,d4,lazed de keep us posted mjderstine.

jon, I'm thinking about gun hardening the rear shock tower mount. a brace would be more mechanically sound but I don't have access to sheet metals and tools to cut and drill it. . would be nice if you can take a snapshot of it next time
Old 02-20-2009, 05:32 AM
Tech Regular

teaser,

i will be back in a couple hours to get the rest up.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:38 AM
Tech Regular

ill post one more so you can actually see it

Old 02-20-2009, 10:38 AM
Tech Regular

well,

here are a couple more pics of what i have built so far.

and here are the smoke and blue clear parts

5 Star knuckles and boca ceramic bearings

some tamiya hard turn buckles, bharz anti roll system, 5 star hexes, all the goodies!

5 Star driveshaft, yes its a CVD on the front end.

lots of nice blue!!

Old 02-20-2009, 08:16 PM
Tech Elite

mjderstine,

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET looking chassis!!! I rarely get to see those KM conversions and they don't disappoint by the looks of the pics!!!

I wonder how the DF-03 saddle fares against other ones, since the transmission and the drivetrain seems to be intact with that conversion. Other 4wd vehicles have the motor in front of the batteries (e.g. B44, D4, FS) but the DF-03 is quite unique in that it has a transmission like a mid-motor 2wd...

Watch those shock towers though, I managed to break my 3Racing rear shock towers last Saturday I have a set of aluminum GPMs but I'm planning to bolt on some of the stock plastic ones, since they seem to be made of the plastics that are quite bendy (hopefully would absorb the impact, pardon the pun again )

Let us know how you like the chassis and what you think of it as compared to the original layout with the batteries being down the center...
Old 02-21-2009, 09:16 AM
Tech Elite

I think one of the reasons y'all are always breaking stuff is that you have made parts stiffer and stronger than original ones. I've noticed that a lot of the parts are rather flexible... Especially the towers like you said tom. I think the whole buggy was made to flex and bend on impact(no pun). That keeps all the parts fine. I havent had any parts warp and no parts(chassis wise) break and I tumble mine all the time. I think it needs to be mostly carbon or all plastic personaly. Having it mostly carbon makes the buggy stiffer as a whole. Little parts like towers just stress other parts and make them break. I am persoanly glad that I havent done any carbon or aluminum. I think that mjderstine will be great because the whole buggy is carbon and aluminum now. So the entire thing is solid now instead of the entire thing will flex now. And 5star and KMC did it right. Look at how beefy those parts are. And the carbon parts look like they are layered tightly, which maens they will be tougher

Oh and if you havent already make sure to sand the edges down a tad so they arent sharp and seal all carbon parts with thin CA glue. Im sure you can find a detailed way of doing it on this site somewhere. That helps make it last and keep it stronger.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:30 PM
Tech Regular

thanks for the compliments guys.

here are some more completed pics. I had a couple hick-ups in the building. i found out that i wont be able to use the lay down servo mounts successfully. the servo saver comes in contact with the bottom pate. wil have to she if i can get a different servo saver.

gotta find some ball studs to mount the shocks. the bottom ball mounts are bigger than the stock tamiya mounts. Does anyone know what size ball mounts i can use in there?

I also need to get a couple more turnbuckles for the steering links, and for the servo, since it so much closer to steering assembly.

some pics for those who like to look at pics.

sorry about the fuzziness. i cant figure out what size ball i need to fit in here

kawada slipper, i can only assume its the inch conversion that is available for this chassis.

and in this pic, you can see how i had to cut down the stock tamiya ball cups inorder to make the hard tamiya turnbuckles fit.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by streetracer745 View Post
I think one of the reasons y'all are always breaking stuff is that you have made parts stiffer and stronger than original ones. I've noticed that a lot of the parts are rather flexible... Especially the towers like you said tom. I think the whole buggy was made to flex and bend on impact(no pun). That keeps all the parts fine. I havent had any parts warp and no parts(chassis wise) break and I tumble mine all the time. I think it needs to be mostly carbon or all plastic personaly. Having it mostly carbon makes the buggy stiffer as a whole. Little parts like towers just stress other parts and make them break. I am persoanly glad that I havent done any carbon or aluminum. I think that mjderstine will be great because the whole buggy is carbon and aluminum now. So the entire thing is solid now instead of the entire thing will flex now. And 5star and KMC did it right. Look at how beefy those parts are. And the carbon parts look like they are layered tightly, which maens they will be tougher

Oh and if you havent already make sure to sand the edges down a tad so they arent sharp and seal all carbon parts with thin CA glue. Im sure you can find a detailed way of doing it on this site somewhere. That helps make it last and keep it stronger.
+1 on that!!! You're right, it's really a fine balance between making it sturdy and flexible for offroad. You don't want too much flex that it alters your suspension in a non linear fashion, but you also don't want it to rigid that it shatters the next weakest link in the chain.

mjderstine,

If you're using Tamiya's standard size eyelet for the lower shock mounts, the ball studs *should* be the same size ball studs you use all around... What kind of shocks are those? They look like the shocks included in the MS kit but I couldn't really tell from the pics...

My MS DF-03 uses the standard ball studs that are used everywhere such as the ones used on the steering assembling, camber links, and the upper mounting eyelet for the shocks should all be the same size... Don't you have some from the standard DF-03 kit??? You can try some of those if you have some...
Old 02-23-2009, 05:41 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tom_chang79 View Post

mjderstine,

If you're using Tamiya's standard size eyelet for the lower shock mounts, the ball studs *should* be the same size ball studs you use all around... What kind of shocks are those? They look like the shocks included in the MS kit but I couldn't really tell from the pics...

My MS DF-03 uses the standard ball studs that are used everywhere such as the ones used on the steering assembling, camber links, and the upper mounting eyelet for the shocks should all be the same size... Don't you have some from the standard DF-03 kit??? You can try some of those if you have some...
Tom,

the stock Balls are actually not the right size, its almost as if they used took the ball ends of a 1/8th scale. i thought that maybe they would be the same size as my Kyosho Twin Force balls, but they arent, they are a but smaller than them.
as far as the stock ones go. they are a decent amount larger than the stock brass ball ends that come with the kit.

those are the shocks that are on there too.

any ideas yet?

EDIT:
http://www.tamiyausa.com/pdf/pl/54028.pdf
as far as i can tell from the data sheet on these, they are 5mm balls, don't have any of those, unless 5mm is the stock size and im having a brain fart.. time to go to the hobby shop and test some balls out. :doh

Last edited by mjderstine; 02-23-2009 at 06:20 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.