Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Tamiya DF-03 type >

Tamiya DF-03 type

Tamiya DF-03 type

Old 01-18-2009, 11:08 PM
Tech Elite

Oh I see. You know you can pick up a keen hawk from rcmushroom for $120? Wonder what the shipping is for it...
Old 01-18-2009, 11:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I'm gonna have to check that out. I was debating on whether to buy a DF-03 kit and replace the parts that way, it seems to be cheaper, I'll have to check that out...
Old 01-18-2009, 11:21 PM
Tech Elite

Yeh I dont think the shipping would be $30... Cause its about $160 or so for a kit shipped from tower or anyplace like that.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:48 AM
Tech Elite

www.tamiyausa.com seems to be down at the moment. I can't connect at home nor at work, are you guys experiencing the same problem?
Old 01-19-2009, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

It seems to be connecting fine for me. And the store is open again so I might be getting some parts soon. Or just coughing up the money to buy a whole new kit and use mine as a part hanger...
Old 01-19-2009, 12:55 PM
Tech Elite

Does anyone know what the depth of the hex adapters used to mate the wheels to the axle is? I know that it's a 12mm hex, but what's the depth? YeahRacing makes these Aluminum ones, but there's three sizes:

1) 5mm
2) 5.5mm
3) 6mm

I was wondering what the stock ones were, I don't have any metric calipers handy, mine is an analog one that's defaultly standard so I can't tell between 5mm and 6mm of depth...
Old 01-19-2009, 01:11 PM
Tech Elite

6mm is ~0.236in and 5mm is ~0.197in... Use your analog caliper and whichever one of those is closest to what yours reads is what it is... Hope that helps
Old 01-19-2009, 03:44 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks man, I'll check it out when I get home. When I saw your post, I hit myself on the forehead saying "duh, just convert it to standard and measure it!"

Old 01-19-2009, 08:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Today is the first day in a LONG time that people have been able to order directly from tamyiausa.com without having to call. They have had their site on crutches for what seems like ever. I had bought some parts a long time ago from that site for a blackfoot. When I ordered the df03 I also bought a bunch of spare shit and wanted to get some things straight from tamiya but couldnt. I checked thier site today and it had an update dated with todays date saying that thier estore was back online and sure enough it is working. Of course I have basically everything I need now but it is nice to know it is working again. Im sure Ill need something from their sooner or later.

Tom, I was going to buy the gpm front end but I just never got around to it and I think I am going to see how it does without it. It seems like perhaps it is causing weekpoints elsewhere. Mybe try racing it without it this weekend.

I am going to be trying to post some good setup info and videos and pics as I begin racing mine on a weekly baisis. My track is so active I will be up against 30+ cars everyweek and that is just the sportsman class!
Old 01-19-2009, 09:17 PM
Tech Elite

Wow, didn't know that Tamiya's estore has been down for a while. I remember checking some stuff yesterday in the day time, then when I was ready to commit my order last night, poof, the site was gone... Their main domain name was unaffected which serves Japan and Europe, but Tamiya USA has its own domain name, which seemed be down until this morning. I guess the folks here in the states came back to the work today, Monday and realized that their website was down...

A little update on the measuring the hex:

The depth of the hex seems to be roughly 5.15mm if you measure just the edge to edge of the hex. If you factor in the little nubs near the hole, the measuring comes out to be about 5.55mm. I think 5.5mm is the safe one to use. I think slightly longer wouldn't cause a problem, but slight shorter would definitely cause the wheel rub against the knuckles...
Old 01-20-2009, 12:34 PM
Tech Adept

OHHH Shit! Look what showed up in the mail today!

Larger PIC
Old 01-20-2009, 12:42 PM
Tech Elite

Alright a nice new box of goodies! So guys I got a big question... My df is in terrible shape and honestly should be trashed... It will cost so much that I might as well buy a brand new... SO. I can get a keen hawk for $120 on rc-mushroom or should I just go for the MS on ebay which I could find for around $250 or so shipped. OR should I get an ra?
Old 01-20-2009, 06:07 PM
Tech Elite

T Fears, you look like you're ready to have some fun! Take your time on assembling the kit, I think I stretched out my assembly over a period of a week, making sure all the metal-to-metal contacts of screws had the proper amount of threadlocks (Loctite Blue)

Originally Posted by streetracer745 View Post
Alright a nice new box of goodies! So guys I got a big question... My df is in terrible shape and honestly should be trashed... It will cost so much that I might as well buy a brand new... SO. I can get a keen hawk for $120 on rc-mushroom or should I just go for the MS on ebay which I could find for around $250 or so shipped. OR should I get an ra?
If you have many of the goodies on your old DF such as a slipper clutch, decent shocks, and other hopups, I say get the Keen Hawk and just transfer it over. The only reason why I paid the price of nearly two Dark Impacts/Keen Hawk/AvanteII for my MS kit was because I was starting fresh. Perhaps you already have some upgrades on your existing vehicle?

Personally, I think the Keen Hawk has the most beautiful looking body. Avante was nearly a close tie with it, but both those bodies will require a very clean layout for the electronics since it's tighter then the Dark Impact body. Although in all honesty, I don't see much of a difference in volume, the Dark Impact's body is still pretty limited... As much cleanup I did on my buggy, my body still doesn't sit all the way down. I think the three wires from my Mamba Max to the motor is hitting the body since it's looped back near the shaft. I'm contemplating on shortening it up like what I did on my B44.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:19 PM
Tech Elite

The only thing I have on my buggy now is a slipper clutch. Which needs new pads...
Old 01-20-2009, 08:37 PM
Tech Adept

All the parts beside the box there are spare parts or hop up parts. So far I have completely finished the chassis. All i have left to do is install shocks and electronics. Its a nice kit to build. Very good quality. I am a little disapointed that it doesnt come with the front one-way and also dissapointed that it doesnt come with standard center shaft incase you want front brakes. I will have to order some. No one runs center oneways at my track so I dont know if I will be very fast with one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.