Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Tamiya DF-03 type >

Tamiya DF-03 type

Tamiya DF-03 type

Old 09-23-2008, 01:57 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by tom_chang79 View Post
Yeah, if your track is big, like it was built for 1/8th scale or some of the larger ones found in Malaysia (there's a review of the DF-03 by a guy who made his own front brace, http://www.bigbigplanet.com/rccars/df03/ ) , then you should go for a 5700... Truthfully, you can always get it back in gearing if it really is a wide open track. Controlling the power is only necessary around corners and when you approach a jump...

How do you like your MS YDBD? You obviously sound like you ran it on the track? Any previous ownership of other cars to compare it against?

I was hoping to take it to my local track this coming weekend, but looks like I might have an all-day event with my buddies for something else...

Oh well, I might just experiment a bit around the neighborhood with the 3Racing tires first, perhaps even giving it a chance for the drivetrain to break in...

I already have a 5700kV Mamba Max system for my B44, so I bought a 4600 system this time. I suppose I can resort to swapping the motor around since the ESCs are going to be setup the same:

Firmware upgrade = 1.17 (ooooooooooooh just checked CC's site, they have 1.19!!!! Go grab them!!!!)
Drag Brakes = 30%
Timing = Low
Traction Control = Off (it's been a while, it might not be called traction control... arrrg can't remember)....

Tom, to my knowledge, Jon has not run his DF03 yet...

I just got on to Castle's site, and it seems the 1.19 firmware upgrade only affects the Mamba Monster.

As for the 5700 vs 4600, I'm still on the fence. I was all set to get the 5700, as Jon said, but I think the 4600 with more gearing options might still be the better deal, because it'll be more controllable in the tight stuff. You can always gear up the 4600 a little, but the 5700's gearing is rather limited in teh DF03 from all the research I've been doing. In addition, if the 4600 turns out to be too slow for the new revision of the track, there's always 3S Lipo As it is, I'm going to be usign my DF03 with Orion's 3800, 30C 2S Lipo, so the 4600 might still be fast enough.

For the shocks, my initial settings are going to be usign teh 2 hole touring pistons up front and the 3 hole touring car pistions in the rear, with Associated 40wt oil all around. A new hobby shop just opened up and they carry the Associated oils...we'll see how it does.

Still waiting on one last part to come in from Five Stars, and then I'll start the build.

- Paulie
Old 09-23-2008, 04:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Sorry guys, haven't run the buggy yet, did get the Mamba Max and 5700 yesterday but having a problem with the software. Doesn't recognize the ESC when plugged in. Tried all the tips on the website, no visible help, even followed the thread on rctech, nada. So far three hours of wasted time, will have to email them I guess. Not happy with the software side of the Mamba.

Will get it running TODAY if I have to set up by beeps. I will be running 4500mah 2s 20c Lipo. I don't think 3s lipos will fit in the battery box. I will be tuning down for initial checks.

I was looking at the rear links and thinking of either moving them down to the lowest hole or reversing the in order to put a larger spur on and making a custom cover.

As far as comparison cars, I have an E Savage and will have a Firestorm Flux (in the mail), and another buddy has an older Tamiya buggy and brushless set up so we'll do some testing possibly this weekend.

Jon

www.yellowdunebuggy.com
Old 09-23-2008, 04:55 PM
Tech Master

Sorry guys, haven't run the buggy yet, did get the Mamba Max and 5700 yesterday but having a problem with the software. Doesn't recognize the ESC when plugged in. Tried all the tips on the website, no visible help, even followed the thread on rctech, nada. So far three hours of wasted time, will have to email them I guess. Not happy with the software side of the Mamba.

Will get it running TODAY if I have to set up by beeps. I will be running 4500mah 2s 20c Lipo. I don't think 3s lipos will fit in the battery box. I will be tuning down for initial checks.

I was looking at the rear links and thinking of either moving them down to the lowest hole or reversing the in order to put a larger spur on and making a custom cover.

As far as comparison cars, I have an E Savage and will have a Firestorm Flux (in the mail), and another buddy has an older Tamiya buggy and brushless set up so we'll do some testing possibly this weekend.

Jon

www.yellowdunebuggy.com
Old 09-23-2008, 05:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Whats up guys.I finally got some pics of the buggy.Iam still needing some parts.Iam still need the CF shock towers and some other small stuff.I did get to run the car today.Iam having some issues with the brushless system.Still trying to get it work out.From what i can tell just from messing with it in the road and the setup i have on the buggy its very smooth reacts very well to my inputs.I will get to take it to the track tomorrow.And really get at it.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:05 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
Whats up guys.I finally got some pics of the buggy.Iam still needing some parts.Iam still need the CF shock towers and some other small stuff.I did get to run the car today.Iam having some issues with the brushless system.Still trying to get it work out.From what i can tell just from messing with it in the road and the setup i have on the buggy its very smooth reacts very well to my inputs.I will get to take it to the track tomorrow.And really get at it.
Umm, where are you running those tires???
Old 09-23-2008, 09:14 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have 6.5T X11 LRP Brushless setup in my Keen Hawk. Gearing is 81/20 from a B4 spur. I would much appreciate recommendations on hardcase lipo that fits in the DF03 chassis. I am using only 2400 Nicads stick packs to power this buggy. Thanks
Old 09-24-2008, 04:27 AM
Tech Master

Default wwwwwwwoooooooooooo!

Ok,

Finally got the MM to hook up to the castle link---unplug the LAN cable befor plugging the USB in, don't know why and I'm not gonna ask cuz it worked. And programmed the MM for some mild stuff.

Hooked everything up and did a quick check. Set up was....musical....to say the least.

Wiring is a bit crowded for the body. Using a box lipo, had to dremel out near the back screws and solder + banana connector at 90 deg. Will probably run the tri wire between the body post and antenna like Ricky Bobby.

Just ran a bit in the driveway and around my track once. On the assfault, it is way fast (thinking 30+), but not overly fast--note to self, don't turn the wheels and hit the throttle it'll just flip over---on the track did OK, need thicker oil in shocks, Paulie is recommending 80wt associated with the white pistons (2 hole front/3 hole rear)-will give that a shot tomorrow. So far jumps level off short jump at my track 8", but don't know about the big double at the local track 30".

Still have more hop ups to come in to the LHS before I give it a big go. Slipper clutch is not very tight and I'm running the 85 .5 spur with a 20 .48 pinion. The 5700 has less the 1/16 adjustability in the chassis for pinions/spurs. I think it might be the screw heads on the motor case not allowing for movement. I have the wires exiting the rear and pulled tight away from the rear dif cup. Work on that tomorrow too.

I'll post some pics later.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:40 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by YDBD View Post
Ok,

Paulie is recommending 80wt associated with the white pistons (2 hole front/3 hole rear)-will give that a shot tomorrow.
I'll post some pics later.
Actually, I said 70w oil with those pistons

I'm going to try 40w oil with the touring car pistons, 2 hole up front, 3 hole out back. We'll see how it goes. Still waiting on one more Five Stars piece to get here, which should be here by the weekend.

Tom, can you try your 5700 from the B44 in the DF03 just for fitment, and let us know if there is room to move it back and forth? This way we could see if it's something common, or just an anomoly with Jon's car. I'm thinking maybe Castle changed where those screws are on the circumference of the can perhaps, and that's what is preventing Jon's 5700 from moving back and forth in the slot?

In looking at numerous photos on the net of the Castle motors, I remember seeing that some motors have 2 screws on the pinion face of the motor and some have 4. If that's true, than maybe Castle did change the motors slightly and the screws on the circumference may have changed slightly also, causing the issue that Jon is having with mimimal space, etc.

Hmm...thoughts anyone?

- Paulie
Old 09-24-2008, 07:46 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Bike racer View Post
Umm, where are you running those tires???

Oh yeah those are my special tires
Old 09-24-2008, 07:55 AM
Tech Adept

This as been a fun build.But i knew there was a reason i did not like 4wd.
There is just not enough room for all the electronics.I can't stand the mess.I going to try and clean up the wiring mess i have going on I just had to get the buggy going after haveing it for ever and not running it yet.Iam also looking at trying a diff speedo and motor set up.Something with a smaller foot print like the LRP.I have not fig out the gearing yet right now iam using the 10.5 and a 22/81 and it as plenty of get out of the hole power but no top end.And theo motor is not warm at all.I will be takeing it to the track tonite and see how she does.I will post later how it goes
Old 09-24-2008, 02:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Ricky Bobby,
Can't tell from the pics but make sure your servo saver is parallel to the steering bellcrank attachment arm, to get equal left and right steering. Nice build
Old 09-24-2008, 02:21 PM
Tech Master

double post. sorry.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:23 PM
Tech Master

The DF-03 is now a rally car

http://www.tamiya.com/english/hobbyshow/THS08/index.htm

Old 09-24-2008, 05:04 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by sim600 View Post
Ricky Bobby,
Can't tell from the pics but make sure your servo saver is parallel to the steering bellcrank attachment arm, to get equal left and right steering. Nice build
YEah its a little off.

Well guys iam here at the track and i just got done running a pack through it.And all i can say Is HOLY SHIT this thing is bad.Handles like a dream and jumps great. Evan with my speedo problems and the gearing not right on yet this thing is awsome.I built mine exactly the way it shows it the manual.My shock i used two hole pistons and 42 1/2 in the back and 40 up front and it is dialed.Now i need to get the the electronics working right and i will be good.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pgeldz View Post
Tom, can you try your 5700 from the B44 in the DF03 just for fitment, and let us know if there is room to move it back and forth? This way we could see if it's something common, or just an anomoly with Jon's car. I'm thinking maybe Castle changed where those screws are on the circumference of the can perhaps, and that's what is preventing Jon's 5700 from moving back and forth in the slot?
It's an inherent design flaw of the motor bay and not really on the motor. I experienced the same issue yesterday when I finally received my Mamba Max + 4600kV motor. It's a real tight fit, and there's two ways to tackle it. As Jon said, you can either rotate the motor so the wires exits towards the rear and pull it around to give it a hard turn (away from the diff outdrive) or you can grind the little ribs that gives the tranny box somewhat rigidity...

Check out this page on oOple.com:

http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/revie...wk/page06.html

After I had trouble with mine, I read Jimmy's comments on it, since I remember him fitting a 5700 motor in his Keen Hawk...

If you choose not to grind down the ribs, you'll have to use a larger spur, since I have a 78T spur, and even my 20T pinion on the motor isn't fitting. I think I"ll have to take the spare 84T spur from my B44 (ream out the middle hole) and fit it into the DF-03...

RickyBobby/Animal: LOOKING GOOD! That KM conversion is real trick-looking! About the 4WD electronic mess, that's not that messy, it's quite common among ALL 4wd and i think the DF-03s are even more extreme since I've noticed that space is even more limited when you use the 3Racing carbon chassis. Looks like the KM chassis makes it just as tight!

For the hard-case LiPo, can someone please help pangRacer? I want to know about this too when I eventually transition to LiPo. On this same note, NiCd are not bad at all. Wish they had higher capacity NiCd. I think theoretically, the discharge rate of NiCd are higher then NiMH, but NiMH won in the capacity department...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.