Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mamba 4600 gearing question

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 03:44 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Mamba 4600 gearing question

On my Mamba 4600 motor on my B4 how should I gear it? Currently I have a 17t pinion on it with an 81t spur gear, but the car is a bit too zippy for the little 1/10th scale track that I run on. I've actually had to turn down my EPA on my radio to 65%. Is there a better gear combo I could try that would help with this problem?
Old 07-14-2008, 04:08 PM
Tech Regular

So your running a small track.
Don't use EPA, better play with gearing or motor itself. Reduce timming to low or very low.
That should reduce the feeling of punch and a little top speed and increase efficiency and runtime. Gear down teeth be teeth.

It's my personnal experience but Brushless motor aren't brushed motor.
The famous rule "must hit full speed at the end of the straight" ins't up to date anymore since brushless allow insane speed. I

If it's still too fast, a lower kv motor is the last solution, check into Tekin range they do make a 3600 kv motor that may work too or a 13.5 if you run sensored

I would try 16/84
Old 07-14-2008, 04:44 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EvanKing
On my Mamba 4600 motor on my B4 how should I gear it? Currently I have a 17t pinion on it with an 81t spur gear, but the car is a bit too zippy for the little 1/10th scale track that I run on. I've actually had to turn down my EPA on my radio to 65%. Is there a better gear combo I could try that would help with this problem?
Use your Castle Link if you have it setup and go to punch control. Try setting it to about 30% and if it is still too much then try like 50%. THe higher the number the less power you will have.

Try also setting the timing to lowest and start power to lowest setting. You gearing can actually be at 19 to 20 tooth pinion with the 81 spur. I ran mine with a 20/81 at are indoor track.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:26 PM
Tech Initiate

My castle link doesn't work, but I have used the manual programming to turn down the punch to the lowest setting. That helped with the car spinning out from a dead stop, but I want more torque for the jumps and turns and I can afford to lose some speed since the straight is only about 60 ft or so.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I ran my 4600 in the 22/81 to 24/81 range even on small indoor tracks....
Old 07-14-2008, 07:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by glassdoctor
I ran my 4600 in the 22/81 to 24/81 range even on small indoor tracks....
As different as brushless motors are to brushed motors, castle systems are as equally different when compared to other brushless systems. The Mamba Max puts out so much power that if geared right, the 4600 can even make a 4 wheel drive rip! I've been running one in my D4 for about a month. Definitely a great start is the punch control but if that's not taking a chunk out of the speed like you're looking for, you're going to have to gear down.

What's the issue you're having with the castle link?
Old 07-15-2008, 06:10 AM
Tech Initiate

When I plug my ESC into my computer with the supplied USB cable it doesn't detect my ESC on my computer.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

well.. this sounds rather elementary, but try plugging the usb into the Mamba with more force. I have seen that before (guys wondering what's wrong... only to find out they were not pushing the usb plug in hard enough)

If that's not it... I have no idea. You may need to send it in to CC.