R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-14-2008, 09:23 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Homebuilt Electric Off-Road Cars

After looking at oOple.com for awhile, iam now really wanting to build me my own Mod Truck. Ive got a really good idea goin on, just putting it into action.

Iam gonna base it off of XTM Racing Nitro X-Cellarator. Itll be a Mid Mount Truck, with the Stock Suspension. But using a Custom Chassis.

Ive reading threads on oOple.com that some people were using 5-cells. Would this be a good idea to incorparate in my Truck? Itll be lighter, thus moving weight were i want it?

Since iam mainly gonna be racing on 1/8th scale tracks. Would a longer wheelbase be optimal? But, thats when you start getting into body problems. I think if i make the Truck 5-10mm longer, ill have no body to fit it. Unless i make my own???

What chassis material should i use? Was either thinking G-10 or Carbon Fiber. G-10 is cheaper, but not as strong as Carbon Fiber though.

Comments/Tips/Tricks/Ideas/ETC. is welcomed!
Just trying to get some of the racers opinoins/insights

Thanks
Blake
hrnts69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:28 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I would forget about the 5-cell and build it based around a lipo battery, especially if you are going to run on an 8th scale track.
pirate60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:20 AM   #3
Tech Addict

If i had the money for a Lipo/Charger, i would go that way. But iam designing it based on what iam using. Just very curious on how a 5-cell setup would do.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:27 AM   #4
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you're going to go the 5-cell route and insist on running 1/8 tracks you're going to find yourself terribly underpowered to make any jump of consequence, and a bit like a 1:1 toyota pickup trying to make it's way around a monster truck course.

But honestly, no offense, considering what you're having to ask (5-cell, carbon fiber vs. g-10, don't want to spend the money on lipo, questionable platform, etc.) it sounds a bit as if you're getting in way over your head and beyond your knowledge or experience. I'm not telling you not to do it, but just suggesting that it already sounds beyond your means.
rocket-mtrsprts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:03 AM   #5
Tech Addict

So, it sounds like 5-cell is not the optimal choice for 1/8 tracks.

Ill just do a 4x2 battery setup. Its not that i dont wanna run Lipo, its just i cant afford it whenever ive got a engine to rebuild in my Firebird.

As for "iam in over my head" i personally dont think that. Ive built some of Conversion Kits for the Traxxas Rustler. Its out of G-10 and has a 6x2 battery setup. Also, ive got a Conversion Kit for the XTM X-Cellartors right now. Ive got some people interested, just looking for a CNC Machnist that can cut out the parts perfectly.

Iam just not knowledgable in the Off-Road scene. So thats why i asked if G-10 would hold up in Off-Road. Iam already working on the cardboard chassis before i transfer the design into G-10. Then ill send that chassis/parts to a CNC Machinist and have them replicate it over to Carbon Fiber.

Sorry, if i sound like a noob. Iam really not! Just not alot of experince in Off-Road. Iam a Dirt Oval guy.