R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-22-2003, 11:29 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to KINGZJ

The only potential problem with Ko is that if something were to go wrong I am not sure how easy it is to get it repaired. I know that Futaba and Airtronics have a very good service dept. Just something to consider. When I had my Mars radio I called Ko USA with a problem and I had a hard time understanding anything that was said due to a language barrier.
KINGZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 11:38 PM   #17
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to rc_crazy22

thats a very good point! i will consider that when about to buy radio!
but i will still like to kow if ko propo will have a cystal less module?
rc_crazy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 11:43 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Honestly,

If you plan on racing offroad I would not recomend crystaless radio systems. I had a m8 with the switch module and several xxtra receivers and had nothing but problems. I sent receivers back to novak a total of 6 times due to failures and that was in the past 4 months. They just cannot handle the vibrations of Nitro at least not a 1/8 buggy. My Mars radio never had a problem in my buggy ( should never have gotten rid of it)
Old 08-22-2003, 11:50 PM   #19
Tech Apprentice

yeah im leaning more to a ko ex-10 helios! but the m8 does have a good history mabey get that in a crystal setup! what do u think! if u had to chose one radio that u would be stuck with for a while, which one? ko propo ex-10 helios or m8? it would be cystal!
Old 08-23-2003, 03:14 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Allot of the guys racing nitro at the track I am from are getting away from the M8 even with the crystals. The m8 just is not a reliable radio their are to many problems with radio hits while using it. I am not familar with the helios but I am sure it will be a good radio othwise I would recomend the JR R1 or the Futaba 3pk. I have gone back to a simple radio just because I don't see the point of having a $300-$500 radio for playing in the dirt. No matter how careful you are the radio always gets fuel or dirt or grim on it. I now am using the Jr xr3i its very light and easy on batteries and has the same transmitting stuff as the R1 so their are no problems with radio hits and it is under $180 so if it get dirty its not the end of the world. It also has just about everything you could ever need in a radio including a lap timer.
Old 08-23-2003, 08:47 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

as far as the servo question ive asked alot of people and i mean alot and most of them have told me the airtronics 94357 and 94358 are they way to go

alot of guys complain about digital servos saying that they fail at a much higher rate than analog

digital servos center 6x for every time an anolog servo does so their more precise

but ive had hitec digitals fail for no reason just died and the futaba servo blew the plastic gear a couple times so when it was time to get a new servo i got a airtronics

i have had the m8 and currently have a mars r and 3pk i had a problem with the m8 battery pack so i got rid of it but the guy i sold it to is still using it without problems (apparently all it needed was a new battery pack)

thats when i got the mars and i really like it very fast and balanced but my hand barely fits its not uncomfortable at all but its a tight fit

i just bought a 3pk because i want to get my son into racing but dont want to share radios also wanted to have the added security of pcm and a built in failsafe

i am hoping also that they come out with the spectrum module for one of my radios most likely it wont come out for KO though because they are a more obscure brand

KO stuff is great but the fact is that if something goes wrong its going to be alot more trouble to get it fixed ive heard their customer support is almost none
Old 08-23-2003, 02:24 PM   #22
Tech Apprentice

im afraid that the vibration from the buggy and the jumps whould mess up the digital servos! what do u think?
Old 08-23-2003, 04:49 PM   #23
Tech Elite

What damages digital servos is heat and improperly adjusted end points. That is why some of the newer digital servos are coming with heat sink cases. The cases actually get fairly hot to the touch it is surprising.
Old 08-23-2003, 04:50 PM   #24
Tech Elite

O ya I forgot the most important thing is to mount your servos with the included rubber mounts it reduces the vibration greatly
Old 08-23-2003, 05:18 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to TambokGT

rubber mounts=rubber grommets
TambokGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 08:44 PM   #26
Tech Elite

the instruction manual for mbx5 says that the grommets must be used i had to go to the store and buy some since i had been throwing them away all along

ive never noticed my servos getting hot but i am not surprised to hear that all the times it trys to center itself that poor motor inside is getting a work-out

i dont think the vibration from the jumps has effected any of my servos that have failed the hitec just die for no apparent reason in fact the last one that went was the throttle servo on my t-maxx its mounted on top far away from any hard vibration and the truck was coming down on a nice soft landing and then i had no throttle they just dont last long ive got 2 to send back

i bought 6 of them last year in jan or feb so ive had them nearly 2 years so far though ive had 8 or more failures the guy at my LHS was swapping them out for me but eventually he had to say enough was enough

the futaba servo problem was much easier to deal with it was stripping the plastic gear so i could go to the LHS and get a new one for a couple bucks but i dont want to lose any more races due to servo failure
Old 08-24-2003, 03:40 PM   #27
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to uDi_MP7.5

Last edited by uDi_MP7.5; 04-26-2012 at 07:23 AM.
uDi_MP7.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 06:26 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Its all about holding power and digital simply has analong beaten in that aspect. It takes allot of holding power to hold a 8 pound buggy going 40 mph in a sweeper or even going straight.
Old 08-24-2003, 07:13 PM   #29
Tech Elite

kingzj may be right

but i think the airtronics 94358 may have the highest torque output of any servo available at 200oz

i plan to get a 94358 over the off-season and use it for steering and use the 94358 for throttle

i have a bunch of hitec servos that i have to send back for warranty repairs (3) they are dropping like flies thats 3 in as many weeks

i cant afford to buy a whole bunch of servos so i guess im going to use them in my less important vehicles like my mst-1 and t-maxx because i cant get crap for them if i sell them and its pointless to have them just lying around

but for my mbx5 its going to get the airtronics
Old 08-24-2003, 07:32 PM   #30
Tech Elite

359 is also 200 oz but at a lower voltage so really it is stronger and its digital with the alum cooling case