R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-11-2008, 04:28 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Best Pure Street Tire for Truggy?

I'm putting together a set of pure street tires so I don't destroy my offroad tires when I'm goofing off in front of my house or in a parking lot. These tires will be used on asphalt 100% of a time, so performance on asphalt is the only thing I care about. I want a tire with excellent grip on asphalt, good tread wear (probably a lot to ask), and fits on a standard 2.2" truggy wheel. Any suggestions? I'm currently considering Pro-Line Road Rage 2 or Speed Hawg 2s.

Also, I'm running a Sidewinder with a Castle 5700 motor. I intend to tape the inside of the tires with duct tape to stop pancaking on the tires. Sound good?
bluesxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 06:50 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Was going to tell you to use these. But then I realized you were talking truggy.

Let's keep looking shall we?
Old 07-12-2008, 08:07 AM   #3
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Sounds as though you're kind confused on what defines a Truggy. A "Truggy" is commonly an 1/8th scale Nitro (or electric) buggy with a longer chassis, longer a arms, larger tires, and a "Truck" body. People (I say people and what I mean is racers) started doing this because they relized that Monster Trucks, while very popular, handle like crap (remember this was before the Revo). So, to get a better handling "TRUck" you converted over a "buGGY", and so the term "TRUGGY" was coined. The Truggy class was actually called "Arena Truck" in some racing circles, but the name never stuck. The Monster Truck class also changed its name to "Production Monster Truck", because hilly billy basher guy would show up to the track with his T-Maxx to race, get his ass smoked by a "monster truck" and then realize "Wow my T-Maxx sucks compared to these crazy 1/8th scale buggy/monster truck hybrid things, i'll just go back to doing speed runs in front of my house". As you can imagine this was bad for business, because the number of people showing up with T-Maxxs that wanted to race far exceeded the number of people that wanted to shell out the time, and money, and had the ingenuity to build a truggy (remember this was before you could walk into any hobby shop and buy a truggy you had to build it yourself). The name change was supposed to prevent hybrid "Truggies" from racing in the monster truck class, so with the popularity of the truggy, it got its own class. After all who doesn't like a vehicle thats even easier to drive than a 1/8th scale buggy? Judging by your post you have a 1/10th scale Stadium Truck (maybe a Rustler, a T4 or some faction of a XXX-T, or maybe even an Evader ST). While these trucks are essentially buggies with a longer chassis, longer a arms, larger tires, and a "Truck" body, they are not commonly refered to as "Truggies" (although, I can see where one might easily get confused and call a Stadium Truck a Truggy).

Now that we're both on the same page about what defines a truggy I can answer your question. These would be my choice for tires, along with these wheels and these adapters. Now I know you said you wanted to use 2.2 inch wheels but the stuff I just suggested will yield the highest performance. The lower profile tires will be much more stable at speed than the standard tires on a 2.2 inch wheel (even if you "belt" them with duct tape, although I suggest using straping tape because it has fiberglass strands in it, so you will have to use alot less therefore not adding a whole bunch of rotating mass). They will also have less rotating mass, therfore your truck will accelerate harder. They will also not change the final drive ratio (the tire you were thinking about getting have a smaller diameter than a standard race tire so your trucks top speed is going to be slower). The best tires for standard 2.2 inch rims would probably be these. Those tires are gonna give you the best traction but because of their tall sidewall and very high level of grip, they are going to be a handful at high speeds. The tires you are thinking about (Road Rage 2, Speed Hawg 2) will work good too, but for all out performance the first ones I suggested will be your best bet. Good luck, and have fun.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:10 AM   #4
Tech Adept

Yeah, I mean 1/10th scale stadium truck. It's an XTM electric X-Cellerator.

Really good post, thanks for all the info. I was wanting the 2.2" tires because I have a spare set of off-road rims. After read this, though, I'll definitely consider going with new rims too.
bluesxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 09:12 AM   #5
Suspended

NOT A TRUGGY AFTER ALL ????

......................................__.......... ......................................
.............................,-~*`¯lllllll`*~,................................... .......
.......................,-~*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll¯`*-,....................................
..................,-~*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*-,..................................
...............,-*lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lllll..................................
.............;*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll,-~*~-,llllllllllllllllllll............................. ...
..............lllllllllllllllllllllllllll/.........;;;;llllllllllll,-`~-,...........................
...............lllllllllllllllllllll,-*...........`~-~-,...(.(¯`*,`,..........................
................llllllllllll,-~*.....................)_-..*`*;..)..........................
.................,-*`¯,*`)............,-~*`~................/.....................
..................|/.../.../~,......-~*,-~*`;................/...................
................./.../.../.../..,-,..*~,.`*~*................*....................
................|.../.../.../.*`..............................)....)¯`~,....... ...........
................|./.../..../.......)......,.)`*~-,............/....|..)...`~-,.............
..............././.../...,*`-,.....`-,...*`....,---........../...../..|.........¯```*~-,,,,
...............(..........)`*~-,....`*`.,-~*.,-*......|.../..../.../....................
................*-,.......`*-,...`~,..``.,,,-*..........|.,*...,*...|......................
...................*,.........`-,...)-,..............,-*`...,-*....(`-,...................
......................f`-,.........`-,/...*-,___,,-~*....,-*......|...`-,..................
theDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 02:09 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to smb17

www.prolineracing.com
Old 07-12-2008, 02:34 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

The best thing for you to do is take your old pairs of dirt tires and use a dremel to remove whatever tread is left, then you will have a nice lookin grippy slick. Do the same with some fronts. If you want to make it handle better for the street, put some limmiters in the shocks, take away about half the stroke, and throw the stiffest springs they make for that thing on there. You will be able to afford the springs and limmiters with the money you would have spent on tires, and your car will handle way better on the street...
chuckharrisjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 09:05 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to streetracer745

I use road hawgs on both a Dark Impact running MM5700 and 3s(4wd) and a stampede running 3s and VXL. They have been the best grip and lots of life for me. I even road race my stampede!(lowered and widened it with lots of weight up front)

SMOKE TIRES, NOT DRUGS

46.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot and have no real value or truth.
streetracer745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:20 AM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up

road rage 2 they last a long time on my losixxx.t
garys is offline   Reply With Quote