R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-09-2008, 12:07 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default old car better

Hello guys,

I have two buggies one is new and the other one is from 1989, with the new one I can only make 14 laps and with the old one I can make 19 (20 max) at the track.

The old one makes all the jumps , never bottoms up and the turning radious is smaller. With the new one if I go too fast its all over the place and bottoms up most jumps. I got help from team guys here and I race with two tem drivers at my the track still no luck.

I can use the old one but they don't make parts for it anymore, the only different thing its the srprings I tried all kinds brands in the new one the old one has some really stiff springs, should I try those in the new car?

thanks
Ed
Ediaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:48 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ediaz View Post
Hello guys,

I have two buggies one is new and the other one is from 1989, with the new one I can only make 14 laps and with the old one I can make 19 (20 max) at the track.

The old one makes all the jumps , never bottoms up and the turning radious is smaller. With the new one if I go too fast its all over the place and bottoms up most jumps. I got help from team guys here and I race with two tem drivers at my the track still no luck.

I can use the old one but they don't make parts for it anymore, the only different thing its the srprings I tried all kinds brands in the new one the old one has some really stiff springs, should I try those in the new car?

thanks
Ed

wtf
Old 07-09-2008, 01:27 PM   #3
Tech Regular

that's about accurate,

the peak of RC engineering was 1989, and ever since then we've been trying with no luck to make better ones,

just bring your old one to the local track and you'll kill em all!
artie's liver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:28 PM   #4
Tech Master

Is it an RC10?

Funny, I race a vintage car at my LHS and I seem to drive it better than my B4. I think it says something about the tunability of the equipment now days. I haven't compared the 2, but my vintage feels faster.

It could really come down to settings. Ive set up my Vintage w/ newer style springs and shocks. I also had to adjust for the weight factor of the aluminum chassis over the graphite/CF composite chassis of the newer car.

PM me.

MOmo
"Im not a racer, but I play one on the Internet"
MOmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:34 PM   #5
Suspended

Talking AE.......................IS THE KILLER OF ALL!

That is awesome bringing out the OldSchoolerz !
losidriver70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:55 PM   #6
Tech Adept

good to know im not going crazy

Its a Kyosho (original)Ultima and a new Ultima RB5, my wife even told me to use the old one but if I break an arm or something Im done.The only thing I though if to get two more off Ebay for spare parts, but then I have a brand new car sitting down

I used the AMB lap counter and basically finished 1-2 compared to race archives from my track.With the RB5 usually finish 7-8.

Ill use the old springs today, if don't work, back to the 80s

E
Old 07-09-2008, 02:37 PM   #7
Tech Addict

I was wondering that as well, I have an RC10T4 and a Traxxas SRT. The SRT handles my track better than the T4 does, My track is loamy and dusty. I know the T4 was designed for the bigger, hard packed, blue groove tracks, so i figure its because of the design characteristics of the times
crazyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:33 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ediaz View Post
Hello guys,

thanks
Ed
Old 07-10-2008, 02:07 AM   #9

Old school cars are better on old school tracks...
Loop&Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 05:54 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I sooooo feel what you are saying. I miss my black chassis rc10 stelth car with the rpm world F+R suspension kits. That car was so dialed it was like it had built in auto pilot.
2wdMod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:29 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to streetracer745

The original ultima is probably a lot heavier than the new RB5 right? That and stiffer springs obviously makes it a more planted car. Weight the rb5, use the stiff springs, and maybe swap the tires on it... I ran a kyosho ultima ST(mid 90s version) and it was better than any other ST I raced against in early 2000s. Thats all the rc10t3/4s and stuff! But I was in your situation. One thign broke and I can't race anymore...

SMOKE TIRES, NOT DRUGS

46.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot and have no real value or truth.
streetracer745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:46 AM   #12
Tech Adept

Yes its slighty heavier than the RB5, I added some weight and the springs and it was "almost" the same, took the jumps better and did not bottom up.

They did some work on the track and everybody was all over, no good traction, I m gonna add some more weight and try to get some springs similar to the old springs.

thanks for the replies
E
Old 07-10-2008, 10:26 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wdMod View Post
I sooooo feel what you are saying. I miss my black chassis rc10 stelth car with the rpm world F+R suspension kits. That car was so dialed it was like it had built in auto pilot.
I just sold one recently for $150....near perfect condition...

I began racing with the OG ultima, you should be able to pick parts pretty easy on eBay, have spares, especially the easy to break parts, hinge pin holder in the rear, front C hubs and steering arms, rear hubs.

You might want a few extra gear sets, motors do slip occasionally.
jk racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:51 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

i remember back in the day when graphite chassis' were first coming out ,watching a fast guy from srs run the tub chassis against the graphite ones.his suspension worked much better,probably because of the weight.the weight was all down low,where you would want it.i think today we are over batteried and over motored,so why not have a heavy car?it might make a difference to a pro,but would probably help the less experienced.weight always equals traction.the additional weight will also make the car respond slower.

hey ,if it works,run it!

why hasnt anyone brought back the 5 link that was on the original jrx2?that thing was planted.the h arm conversion came out so you could get it to turn...anyone still with me?
Old 07-13-2008, 01:57 PM   #15
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB FIVE View Post
wtf
If you can't offer any help to the guy, or say anything positive, stay out of his thread.
rocket-mtrsprts is offline   Reply With Quote