R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-13-2008, 02:01 PM   #16
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dethklok151 View Post
i remember back in the day when graphite chassis' were first coming out ,watching a fast guy from srs run the tub chassis against the graphite ones.his suspension worked much better,probably because of the weight.the weight was all down low,where you would want it.i think today we are over batteried and over motored,so why not have a heavy car?it might make a difference to a pro,but would probably help the less experienced.weight always equals traction.the additional weight will also make the car respond slower.

hey ,if it works,run it!

why hasnt anyone brought back the 5 link that was on the original jrx2?that thing was planted.the h arm conversion came out so you could get it to turn...anyone still with me?
I was racing for losi back in the day, and while the 4-link suspension worked great on highly rutted tracks it wasn't near as good on smoother ones and was why they brought out the H-arm mod. I used them both depending on the track.
rocket-mtrsprts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:01 PM   #17
Tech Addict

I have a goldpan rc10 but havent officially raced it.
I like talking about this old sckool stuff, back in the 80's my uncle had one of
those original ultima's with the aluminum frame. Those were sweet cars back then. He had RC10 parts on it also.
Then in the 90's flat cars or pan cars got popular and he started racing on-road.
It was so long ago he couldnt remember which one he had. But I'm guessing it was one of the first rc10 L cars.
electricguy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:46 PM   #18
Tech Initiate

I was certainly quicker with my old rc10 'worlds car' than i was with my 'new' B3 when i first came back to the track. I doubt many of us are as fast with a new ride as our old ones. You just have to adjust your driving style to the car and adjust the car to your style a bit and then you should be quicker.
bdenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 04:39 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

our track is pretty rutted even for 1/8 scale.that 5 link would look pretty sweet on their desert truck!thinking back,the baja 5b really reminds me of the ultima.never thought about it til now.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:47 PM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Try adding some weight and different set ups.
I added weight to my B4 and I got better lap times.
You can use the stick-on lead weights from Associated or go to a Golf Pro Shop and get some thin lead tape--it will keep the center of gravity lower.
You'll just have to experiment!
Chimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:31 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to windellmc

The 80s cars were designed with a lot less sticky tires and and tracks in mind. The tracks also tended to be rougher so the cars had a lot of rear weight bias. If you run on a gas track the older suspension systems might be better. I suggest a Losi XX for that kind of track though. It can be made to handle okay on stickier tracks but will still do well on rough/slick tracks especially if you use the hydradrive.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:36 PM   #22
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I added some weight, used the old ultima springs and the shock pistons, the car is driving like a dream, it did not bottom up once after 3 4200 packs. Lets see how it does in a race this week.

Ed
Ediaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:54 PM   #23

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

i saw an astute get laughed at (sadly hard to hide those huge yellow tamiya oil units from the late 80s) then silence the crowd with i believe was a TQ run that held up thru day and finish 3rd in main IIRC. shame so many good cars dont have replacement parts. figures tamiya rereleased the t-shot after i spent 15yrs lookin for a couple parts to fix 1 lent to me for a big race in '92.

i guess we can all hope that by talkin bout em that perhaps 1 or 2 out there will be saved from b'g simply more trash in a landfill.

R
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 10:58 AM   #24
Tech Rookie

gotta love those vintage cars, my traxxas fiero just eats other 2wd street cars, love it. shame more companys dont do what tamiya did, id love a revamped srt or rc10 to add to my vintage fleet
palmtreeRCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:49 PM   #25
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to cmain

I race a RC10 team car at least once every season. This year the RC10 had my fastest lap of the season by 2 tenths but overall race it was 3-4 seconds slower than the B4. The oldies are still a blast to drive and suprise alot of people
cmain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:07 AM   #26
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Yep cars today are designed for blue groove high traction clay. Anything other then that and they are hurting. My B2 runs on my personal track (Which is not clay) better then my B4 does. But setup has a lot to do with it. Take your clay setups that you see everywhere and throw them away.
rm25x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:29 AM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm25x View Post
Yep cars today are designed for blue groove high traction clay. Anything other then that and they are hurting. My B2 runs on my personal track (Which is not clay) better then my B4 does. But setup has a lot to do with it. Take your clay setups that you see everywhere and throw them away.
This brings on a point about today's tracks.

Why is super smooth high bite claycrete (clay track hard as concrete) accepted as an offroad track? Give me fluffy/loamy tracks all day. The kind you need studs or step pins on, not modified micro pins or slicks. We need to put the off back into offroad.
jk racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:02 AM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by windellmc View Post
The 80s cars were designed with a lot less sticky tires and and tracks in mind. The tracks also tended to be rougher so the cars had a lot of rear weight bias. If you run on a gas track the older suspension systems might be better. I suggest a Losi XX for that kind of track though. It can be made to handle okay on stickier tracks but will still do well on rough/slick tracks especially if you use the hydradrive.
I've got a original XX not a XX cr that I still race every once in a while. I bring it out for racing on the "Öld School Style" tracks....BUT....I don't use the Hydra Drive ( it takes to much punch out of the car for jumps right after corners). I even use a Futaba Magnum Jr. AM radio too. It can hold its own!

The funny thing is that the Futaba has never glitched and I think its pretty funny watching all this new radio stuff cause problems for the drivers ( mind you I do race a React or Sensor 99% of the time with NO problems).

7.5man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:07 PM   #29
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I love my old cars, I just like driving them better.

I am one of those guys that is a mid pack driver, it does not matter if I drive a gold tub rc10 or a b4 I am in the middle, same with on road, I do about the same in a ta-02, as with a new car....the old ones are just more fun. The only reason they get retired is if parts get too hard to find.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote