R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-10-2008, 01:28 PM   #31
Suspended

Thumbs up

If this helps out! go to Oople.com might find some answers their maybe just trying to help out!
losidriver70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:34 PM   #32
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 92 (99%+)

Maybe your TC's punch is too much?? #8 with 6.5T seem too much why don't you try #3 or #4. May be you are getting too much wheel spin when you try jump so not enough speed and suspension is complessing too much..? too much gas many time not helping for jump.

Last edited by atomapapa; 07-11-2008 at 01:22 AM.
atomapapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 04:06 PM   #33
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

setting 8?

can you say wheel spin? what motor?

but don't hesitate to stiffen up your spring rate a bit, or oil, because that car is really light out of the box, and i would be willing to bet it is scuffing on the jump.
SmItH_aLeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 05:04 PM   #34
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to downtempo

have not tried the suspension tweak, but the 18t pinion does not work either. we will have the 16/17t to try Sunday. you will have to show me what the designer had to say about the diffs and slipper set up...
downtempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:43 AM   #35
Tech Adept

Update.

Fried a 6.5T LRP motor - after only 8 laps, definitely nothing out of the ordinary when it went... it wasn't even hot.

Put in an Orion 6.5 - one of the new ones. They seem the same to me.

Stiffened up the front of the car - made the big jump much "easier" but just ruined the car everywhere else. NOT worth it.

Put it back to stock, but started practicing throttle technique and alignment with the jump. I can make it, but still not like a lot of the guys can. I have to be PERFECT to make it where I see other guys coming inside hitting it ugly and still overshooting.

I have a 16T and a 17T pinion in the mail. Will be trying that out Wed night... in addition to my new 3pk which should help with the throttle control curve.
wheezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:17 PM   #36
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Hey Wheezy,

I have a friend going to OCRC today for racing and he runs a 501 too. He is having the same issue with making the jump and is running a (4.5) Dont ask). I think the issue is he is running his front and rear diffs to loose. His name is Mickey Cohen he's a good guy but maybe you can talk with him about set up.

hope that helps

Speedtechrc.com / Team Orion USA / Airtronics / Proline / Bartalone Racing / rcinsider.com / 818Designs
What up? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:50 PM   #37
Tech Adept

A 4.5 huh? I've got a new setup for the track tonight.

Diffs being too lose should have NOTHING to do with making a big jump. If you are "slipping" your diffs you've got way bigger problems on your hands. ESPECIALLY with a stock 501. The diffs kind of suck stock.

I'm hoping that with the change in gearing I'll be making it every time now. I've tried to leave the suspension as soft as possible and yet be firm enough that I'm not scrubbing off the face.

We'll see how it goes tonight. I'll let you guys know tomorrow some time.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:50 PM   #38
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Doodad

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheezy View Post
Diffs being too lose should have NOTHING to do with making a big jump. If you are "slipping" your diffs you've got way bigger problems on your hands.
Not true. Under load and under power, your diffs may be slipping enough that you're not putting all the power to the ground.
Doodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 06:08 PM   #39
Tech Regular

Even if the diff isn't slipping, you may be peg-legging since most of the weight transfer will be to the rear, especially on a ramp!
haulin79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 06:22 PM   #40
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheezy View Post
Diffs being too lose should have NOTHING to do with making a big jump. If you are "slipping" your diffs you've got way bigger problems on your hands.

Having your rear diff too loose can cause a loss in accelleration.
Associated TC7.1
Durango DESC410V2 Pro
sport10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:06 AM   #41
Tech Adept

okay, okay, if you are loose enough to be SLIPPING your diffs you've got bigger problems... LIKE I SAID BEFORE

Definitely NOT my problem with this car.

GOOD NEWS: Not only can I now make the jump, I can make it every time.

It's truly amazing what ONE tooth on a pinion gear can do to a car like this. Threw a 16T pinion on and the car just came alive. Clearing the big jump EVERY lap, unfortunately clearing the big jump into the wall and down between the drivers stand and the track IS NOT the fast line

My fastest lap times have come down quite a bit, unfortunately, my slowest lap times have gotten even slower from the consequences of getting off line on the big jump.

Held 3rd in the A main for most of the race until a tangle with a lapper and a missed lap through the counter caused an 8th place finish.. YUCK, I believe I was actually 6th if you adjust for the missed lap. Either way, YUCK.

Fun as always.

See you guys next week!
Old 07-17-2008, 09:18 AM   #42
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Yeah, one tooth on the pinion makes a huge difference, especially when you are running your car continuous for over 6 minutes... It can mean the difference between painful touch of the motor can or just "little hot." Acceleration/Top Speed-wise also...

Well, I think one of my problem was that I didn't have enough torque/speed from my lame-ass motor. I grabbed a mystery motor out of my box since I had problems with my 13T (turned out to be copper debris between two sections of the commc causing a short )

It's been a while since I ran my car (over a year ago), so I finally remembered what that motor was, it was a spec motor (19T), which is so-so in a 4WD, but not enough power to really push a 4WD to its limits...

I've recut my 13T (and cleared away any debris with an X-Acto), put 35W/35W oil in my shocks (was 30W/30W), going to try my car again...

Wheezy and Haulin79, hope to see you two there (OCRC)...
Old 07-17-2008, 09:36 AM   #43
Tech Adept

I'll be there every wed night!
Old 07-22-2008, 12:06 PM   #44
Tech Adept

It's ON for tomorrow.

My diffs are both pretty much SHOT, after only 4 races.

I've got ceramic diff balls and thrust bearings on order but it doesn't look like they will be here for this week!

I'm going to run it anyway, as I'm still in 2nd for the points (SOMEHOW after that ugly ass race last week)

All I know is the 501x is one bad ass car. I've now beat this thing up so bad and it hasn't broken ANYTHING... yet...