R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-06-2008, 01:09 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default FLM A-Arms

I just bought a new Rustler for my son with FLM a-arms on front (extended) and rear. When we ran it today, it was breaking front end pieces all over the place. We snapped a couple castor block pins, and a couple castor blocks. This was in about 1/2 hour of bashing. It was always from landing jumps, but not terribly hard. I have been hitting jumps getting 3 to 4 times the amount of air with my Rustler without the alum. a-arms on it over the last week, and haven't broken one of these parts yet.

Is the problem the stiff alum. a-arms not flexing and making the other pieces shatter, or is it that the springs on the front end are not as stiff as the ones on my truck so it's hitting harder?

He likes the way the FLM arms look, but not at the price of breaking a part every 10 minutes. If this isn't the problem, what might be? The truck is a vlx, has alum. shocks and otherwise looks practically brand new.
tekcor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 07:02 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

That would be a good guess. You might be able to get the parts that keep breaking in aluminum and be OK, or something else might give.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:07 AM   #3
Suspended

The great thing about stock plastic bits is that they flex in unison with each other and absorb the force of most impacts and keep on going.
The problem with using any aluminum parts, especially large pieces like a-arms, is that while they look really cool they transfer the for force of every impact directly to whatever they're connected to thereby doubling the stress put on their connected parts.

Other than steering knuckles and rear hubs for the most part any other alloy parts should be relegated to shelf-queens ~ bling doesn't make you go faster, it just makes you go to the hobby shop sooner.
theDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 02:42 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My Savage and Shock have aluminum arms on them and I have yet to bend or break one, or any stock plastic part attached to them. I haven't driven the lst too hard, but I've beat the heck out of my savage. Don't know why you're having a hard time with the rusty.

This is about all the higher the Shock has flown.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeVw7biZYDY
Old 07-07-2008, 12:05 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

If you want to dump those FLM arms I'm looking for a set. Let me know what you would want for them if you parted with them. I even have a full set of stock arms I would give you for free.
BADAZZPSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 02:08 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Time and time again I broke the C-Hubs on pede/rustler even with Plastic arms - The only good fix in the FLM aluminum C-Hubs - Zero breakages in that area after that.

The weak link then becomes the front bulkhead.
Arct1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:25 AM   #7
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Well just a quick update on this situation. I upgraded the castor blocks to RPM's and it seems to have solved the problem. Had a couple hours bashing time yesterday hitting some huge jumps (20+ feet of distance) and didn't break anything on the front end. Course, broke some stuff on the rear so looks like we'll be going to the LHS to get some more RPM parts today!
tekcor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 11:01 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

FLM Arms look good, but you would probably be better served with RPM front & rear arms for bashing. You need something that gives a little. Here is my Rusty (sold it).

Sponsors: Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and my wife's bank account.
Edumakated is offline   Reply With Quote