Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Associated Off Road Desert Truck ? >

Associated Off Road Desert Truck ?

Associated Off Road Desert Truck ?

Old 07-09-2008, 06:55 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theDr
I hear what you'er saying, but if that was a reality-based fact then way more than the somewhere about 5% of people that buy RC vehicles would be racers instead of bashers.
But the statistics bear out that bashers severely out-number any of us racers, and is the primary reason so many of the vehicles produced by all the makers including AE and Losi are RTRs.
RTRs aren't made for racers, they're intended for the majority of RCers who are bashers.
I'm not backing Traxxas' marketing decisions, but it would be my guess that they're designing what sells and race-worthy vehicles it's not.
Race attendance always has and always will suffer because too many people that get involved in the hobby, even those with a vague interest in racing, aren't interested in shelling out the bucks for what it actually costs to go racing. Racing ain't cheap, never has been and never will and shouldn't be.

But if anything it's my gripe that RTRs have ruined more expectations or potential racers than anything. Many of these RTR buyers are fooled into the misconception that they're buying the next best thing to a full-spec'd racer, when they're not, and are the ones frustrated that they have to dish out the extra money to get themselves truely race-ready.

Class participation is another thing that always has and always will cycle, and it's my guess that literally every class of RCing has cycled up and down at least once over the last 10 or 15 years.
1/10th gas and electric trucks came before any of the 1/8 scale classes, and many of the electric guys were lured to the 1/10 gas trucks and that hurt the 1/10th electric classes. Those same guys were many of the first to migrate to 1/8 scale. But the first 1/8 were Monster Trucks, and many of them migrated to the 1/8 buggies when they came along, and many from both migrated on to 1/8 truggies when they came on the market - thereby thinning all these classes.

Oh and just a heads up in case you haven't been paying attention to the numbers, 1/8 nitro classes aren't thriving at all but are actually dying all over the country as many people start migrating back to electric.
+1
Old 07-09-2008, 07:50 AM
Tech Addict

I think the Slash is a fun truck for what it is, a realistic-looking basher that doesn't break easily and could be raced against other slashes. Sure it isn't top of the line but it doesn't have to be. I like the spec racing idea I hope it sticks. I actually think the spec Slash classes will bring new racers in. Right now if you just want to bash it is very cheap. But if you want to race it seems every class is a "money pit" class. An off-road spec class is a good idea. The problem with racing is that right now there is too much technology turnover. The latest and greatest cars, batteries, motors etc. etc. can be obsolete within a year after they are released. That is why, if you had a reasonably priced spec class you would make racing available to more people. Which is good in my opinion. Right now the problem in R/C racing is that there are too many classes available for the amount of people that actually race. I think this could bring more people into the racer pool, which eventually could help to fill out the ranks in the more advanced classes being that as people race and become decent in the class they are in they will want to move up. Plus this is a cheaper extra class for the already experienced racer.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:36 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Exactly !!!

Traxxas`s really has no care for the future of our racing , they only what to sell, sell, sell......

I know Ae is nothing like that .....
They work with in our R/c community, and support our racing...

last time I checked, the point of running a business was to make money.

traxxas realizes where there is money to be made and focuses their energy there, losi is starting to see this as well and you can see the direction they're starting to take as well.

if AE doesn't start making some changes themselves, they're going to be out of business. They focus on such a small portion of the market (racers only). They do a darn good job in that small section, and they do make good RC's at a good price, but racing is a tiny portion of the market.

I live in a huge population center in CA, there is one off road track 40 minutes away, 2 more available if I was down to drive 2 hours each way.

tracks are dying everywhere, people who run them do it mainly out of love and I can't imagine that they're making much money at all.

as racing becomes less available, AE will have a smaller and smaller share of the market
Old 07-09-2008, 08:39 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

+2 Now thats more realistic than Traxxas alone is killing racing.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I love how racers think they are the center of the R/C universe
Old 07-09-2008, 08:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

THIS JUST IN.....NEW TRUCK PLATFORM MADE FROM LEFT OVER TC3 PARTS AND RALLY CONVERSION KITS......FILM AT 11:00.....LOL
Old 07-09-2008, 09:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I guess people who race, and would like to to keep racing, will never fully 'appreciate' what Traxxas does for (or to) the RC hobby.

Its going to be a bitter pill to swallow for most racers if we came to the track with a T4 and were told we couldnt race it because it was too well made and that the only electric class left was Traxxas CORR trucks.

And nothing is safe anymore. It appears that Traxxas has 1/8 scale in its cross hairs with a new product called the Slayer?

I feel bad for all the 1/8 racing that was doing so well up till now. I wonder what its going to look like after Traxxas enters the scene with yet another crossover vehicle that no one was asking for. I'm sure they will sell tens of thousands of them cause it says 50+ mph right on the box.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:09 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by artie's liver

traxxas realizes where there is money to be made and focuses their energy there, losi is starting to see this as well and you can see the direction they're starting to take as well.

if AE doesn't start making some changes themselves, they're going to be out of business. They focus on such a small portion of the market (racers only). They do a darn good job in that small section, and they do make good RC's at a good price, but racing is a tiny portion of the market.

I live in a huge population center in CA, there is one off road track 40 minutes away, 2 more available if I was down to drive 2 hours each way.

tracks are dying everywhere, people who run them do it mainly out of love and I can't imagine that they're making much money at all.

as racing becomes less available, AE will have a smaller and smaller share of the market

+1. I'm glad somebody is paying attention.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
+1. I'm glad somebody is paying attention.
+2 For a liver, you type pretty well. Some of you act like Traxxas is some evil mind controlling corporation that forces people to buy their cars and kill racing classes in the process.

Nobody forces us to buy the Slash or Slayer and start new classes. Those who choose to, do it because they want to and because Traxxas made something they like.

Nothing wrong with that.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:38 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ed237
I feel bad for all the 1/8 racing that was doing so well up till now. I wonder what its going to look like after Traxxas enters the scene with yet another crossover vehicle that no one was asking for. I'm sure they will sell tens of thousands of them cause it says 50+ mph right on the box.
I felt bad for all the other 1/10 classes of racing that were doing so well before 1/8 came along. Sorry, but it seems a bit ironic they're getting a little of what they've had coming.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:49 AM
Tech Legend

If market share , is so important, Ae already has Traxxas covered when it comes to marketing r/c racing vehicles .

Everyone knows
Ae still outsells Traxxas in that market and always will because of their commitment to our sport of r/c racing ..

I feel sorry for the management at Traxxas , they been trying for year`s and want to be winner`s @ the IFMAR world`s & Roar Nationals.

Yet fail, as they are unable to design winner machines like Ae build`s..
Old 07-09-2008, 09:53 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

If market share , is so important, Ae already has Traxxas covered when it comes to marketing r/c racing vehicles .

Everyone knows
Ae still outsells Traxxas in that market and always will because of their commitment to our sport of r/c racing ..

cry:
Uh.. That's completely wrong.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:02 AM
Tech Regular

Everyone knows

I feel sorry for the management at Traxxas , they been trying for year`s and want to be winner`s @ the IFMAR world`s & Roar Nationals.

Yet fail, as they are unable to design winner machines like Ae build`s..

yeah, there's 5% of the market that AE beats traxxas in,

who cares about the other 95%, let's focus on that tiny little 5% chunk lol!

keep loving AE, they make good products, but they are on their way out of business unless they start changing their business to react to the marketplace's wants
Old 07-09-2008, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

i must say forums are hilarious all people can do is bash another company traxxas doesn't market themselves as a racing company that tries to compete with losi and ae if they did they'd make kits and put more development towards a race car...

plain and simple the slash was built with the beginning hobbyist in mind...as previously stated no one said buy this start a class it just happened and quite frankly i love the idea..a spec class with stock esc/motor's and 6-7 cell packs equals close racing and it's a class that even the "noobs" who always need help could have fun in. All i have to say to you AE Lovers is grow up and if associated brings out a corr truck I know it'll be included in spec class and don't get ahead of yourselfs everyone though the mgt was so great but it was a flop and quite frankly worse than both losi and trx so just because it's ae doesn't mean it's the greatest..grow up people grow up
Old 07-09-2008, 10:12 AM
Tech Legend

yeah, there's 5% of the market that AE beats traxxas in,

who cares about the other 95%, let's focus on that tiny little 5% chunk lol!

keep loving AE, they make good products, but they are on their way out of business unless they start changing their business to react to the marketplace's wants
Don`t know about you but as a racer I could care less about Traxxas share of the toy market ....

Ae win`s and Traxxas will always lose , on the track and the market place when it comes to racing...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.