Wiki Posts
Search

Associated Off Road Desert Truck ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 02:35 PM
MDB
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cain
RCPD conversion or RC Monster should work good too. Techno one maybe as well.
If you are going to pay the money for the car and then the conversion kit than you might as well buy a Slash and mod it out. It would be alot cheaper.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hopefully, AE will release the electric version. If the pricing is like the RC8, not sure how they are going to compete. That price range alone will drive me towards a slash instead ($200 for an RTR Slash!)
Old 08-17-2008, 03:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

They may handle well, but theres no ground clearance. The rear shots of the line up make them look like touring cars with a truck body on them.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I just got a look at the new truck with the body off. Its an RC8 at heart for sure. Looks pretty good though
Old 08-17-2008, 06:14 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tom_chang79
Hopefully, AE will release the electric version. If the pricing is like the RC8, not sure how they are going to compete. That price range alone will drive me towards a slash instead ($200 for an RTR Slash!)
AE != Traxxas. Why would you have same expectations for products released by different companies?

Sure, there was a small chance AE would want to cash in on the "$200 RTR scale looking and fun to race CORR truck" thing, but why are people so surprised when they stuck with their usual path?
Old 08-17-2008, 08:25 PM
Tech Elite

What do you need ground clearance for???? Looked pretty to scale to me.....
Old 08-17-2008, 09:50 PM
Tech Master

Yeah I dunno, looks pretty much like the real deal to me, too...they aren't monster trucks. I'm sure we'll see the suspension travel on jumps and whatnot. That's if the nitro guys embrace this the way the electric guys did the Slash; remains to be seen. Hope they do, I think these trucks are a lot more fun to watch than stadium trucks and buggies. Personally, I think the CORR replica trucks can really be a boon to off-road RC and bring a lot of new people into the fold. They look cool and they're fun. It may be that the Slash reels 'em in and the AE truck is what people decide to "upgrade" to, when they start getting into it more seriously.

If I had the disposable income, I'd get one in a minute. Already blew all mine getting into electric though
Old 08-17-2008, 10:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kdeselms
Yeah I dunno, looks pretty much like the real deal to me, too...they aren't monster trucks. I'm sure we'll see the suspension travel on jumps and whatnot. That's if the nitro guys embrace this the way the electric guys did the Slash; remains to be seen. Hope they do, I think these trucks are a lot more fun to watch than stadium trucks and buggies. Personally, I think the CORR replica trucks can really be a boon to off-road RC and bring a lot of new people into the fold. They look cool and they're fun. It may be that the Slash reels 'em in and the AE truck is what people decide to "upgrade" to, when they start getting into it more seriously.

If I had the disposable income, I'd get one in a minute. Already blew all mine getting into electric though
Now if we can just start building tracks that are not Super MX Style and more Mickey Thompson/CORR/WSOR style.

Specs I ran across related to the SC8. Not sure if they are legit or not.

.28 cc motor
electric start
3+ HP
exhaust dual chamber
Independent front and rear disc brake
2.5" travel front and rear
24.34 inches bumper to bumper
14.75" wheel base
12" wide
9 lbs
50mph

estimated retail $650
Old 08-17-2008, 10:31 PM
Tech Master

Well it seems to me like there's a great opportunity here for Traxxas and/or AE to build out that type of a track at some upcoming CORR event, where people can actually go out and participate in a race specifically tailored to these trucks. If they were able to run them prior to the start of the full scale races or something like that, you've got a pretty good opportunity to not only get RC racers out to a CORR event they'd probably enjoy, but also for CORR fans to get a load of these scale looking RC cars in racing action and get the bug, themselves.

I don't imagine we're going to see dedicated layouts at any of the off-road facilities yet, but it seems like a good, kind of synergistic involvement with the CORR events.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MajorPede
They may handle well, but theres no ground clearance. The rear shots of the line up make them look like touring cars with a truck body on them.
I tell people that are new to offroad racing that CORR short-course trucks and desert trucks "don't jump, they just fall really good". They're not set up to have a lot of ground clearance on flat terrain, so the CG stays nice and low. So they've got maybe five or six inches of upward travel at this point. But when they lift off the ground, that's when you see the 2 feet of downward travel. When the truck lands, all that travel gives the shocks time to soak up the impact, but the truck never comes back up.

Basically, just because it rides low doesn't mean it's not an off-roader. Like JDCrow said, if you look at 1:1 short course tracks, there aren't any massively tall jump faces, just low kickers with a huge dropoff on the other side.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:02 AM
Suspended

Location: r.i.p Chiquita - 1993-2008 - "best dog in the world"

Originally Posted by JDCrow
estimated retail $650
that oughta help kill sales
Old 08-18-2008, 09:15 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by JDCrow
Now if we can just start building tracks that are not Super MX Style and more Mickey Thompson/CORR/WSOR style.
Originally Posted by OTE_TheMissile
I tell people that are new to offroad racing that CORR short-course trucks and desert trucks "don't jump, they just fall really good". They're not set up to have a lot of ground clearance on flat terrain, so the CG stays nice and low. So they've got maybe five or six inches of upward travel at this point. But when they lift off the ground, that's when you see the 2 feet of downward travel. When the truck lands, all that travel gives the shocks time to soak up the impact, but the truck never comes back up.

Basically, just because it rides low doesn't mean it's not an off-roader. Like JDCrow said, if you look at 1:1 short course tracks, there aren't any massively tall jump faces, just low kickers with a huge dropoff on the other side.

to me the huge supercross-style jumps have been the biggest killer of this hobby. sure it looks cool, when it's somebody else's truck that's getting the big air, but it causes more breakage and wear & tear than I can shake a stick at
Old 08-18-2008, 09:20 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by ratherBracin
that oughta help kill sales

O no ! From my experience with Slash, after a few weeks they will want something faster and more fun...
Old 08-18-2008, 03:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
O no ! From my experience with Slash, after a few weeks they will want something faster and more fun...

Slash #1 for stock racing class. 200.00
Slash #2 with sidwinder 5700. 350.00
550.00 total.

+ now you have 2 trucks. I used to love nitros along time ago. To each his own. I hope everyone who buys this truck enjoys it very much. I will admit it does LOOK good....

Oh and if the shocks do work like the big boys then yeah low stance. good thing. I get what your saying.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:53 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
from my experience the only nitros that are faster than electric are top fuel dragsters and funny cars... but you're right, flameouts are fun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.