R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-18-2008, 01:27 PM   #271
Tech Master

I've asked about that locally too, what happens when your stock Traxxas motor wears out? It's a sealed can - so do you then have to replace it with another of the same motor, or can you go get an equivalent motor from another manufacturer? If this impending AE truck is something that would run in the same class as the Slash, it's going to be bringing Reedy into the mix - so then you're going to have Slash owners wanting to use the Reedy motors instead, I imagine.

I think more than one manufacturer is going to lead to a thinning out of the CORR class rules a bit - it won't be a "box stock" requirement, but more related to weight, tires, motor and body type. I reckon it'll get to where, if you can make weight with your durability/looks hop-ups, using the predetermined tire/motor type, with the CORR body, then you're within spec. Just keep it simple.
kdeselms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:27 PM   #272
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeselms View Post
I think more than one manufacturer is going to lead to a thinning out of the CORR class rules a bit - it won't be a "box stock" requirement, but more related to weight, tires, motor and body type. I reckon it'll get to where, if you can make weight with your durability/looks hop-ups, using the predetermined tire/motor type, with the CORR body, then you're within spec. Just keep it simple.
Personally, as long as everyone's using some sort of similar low-raction tire, and a big titanic body, and carry similar weight it seems as if the rest of it matters little. Let 'em bolt in all the ponies they want, they've still got to put the power to the ground ...
rocket-mtrsprts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:10 PM   #273
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket-mtrsprts View Post
Personally, as long as everyone's using some sort of similar low-raction tire, and a big titanic body, and carry similar weight it seems as if the rest of it matters little. Let 'em bolt in all the ponies they want, they've still got to put the power to the ground ...
+1
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:33 PM   #274
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to OTE_TheMissile

Quote:
+2
OTE_TheMissile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:02 PM   #275
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Just use a rules set similar to USVTA.
TwoTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:10 PM   #276
Suspended

Thumbs up

Quote:
+3
Old 07-19-2008, 05:17 AM   #277
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
+4
Old 07-19-2008, 07:00 AM   #278
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yeah, maybe on a dry loose track... but when a track is hooked up these can get around pretty well and I don't want someone hauling down the straight with a 6.5 strapped in and mow down whoever is in front of him...

When the track is good... I know i could use a lot more motor and turn faster lap times than stock.

These things are PERFECT for racing in full stock trim... beginner or old timer. They are "born" to be a SPEC class racer, imo.
glassdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 07:03 AM   #279
Suspended

spec racing never flies for long
and how many dirt tracks can claim having a good tacky track on a regular basis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdoctor View Post

Yeah, maybe on a dry loose track... but when a track is hooked up these can get around pretty well and I don't want someone hauling down the straight with a 6.5 strapped in and mow down whoever is in front of him...

When the track is good... I know i could use a lot more motor and turn faster lap times than stock.

These things are PERFECT for racing in full stock trim... beginner or old timer. They are "born" to be a SPEC class racer, imo.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:23 AM   #280
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxymoron View Post
spec racing never flies for long
Exactly!! Remember, what works at your local track may not work at our local track.

Why are we even talking about rules.....
"Don't hate the pimp...hate the limp"
Your always welcome at zombo.com
BuckMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:05 AM   #281
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckMan View Post
Exactly!! Remember, what works at your local track may not work at our local track.

Why are we even talking about rules.....
Because we're bored and have nothing to do except squabble over rules on a car that doesn't exist yet. The spec thing has been beaten to death on the Slash thread too.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:25 AM   #282
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

when the "slash spec" class dies, fine. make it an open mod class. But right now, at many tracks it's working great as a box stock spec class. I don't know if it would be a good thing to have TWO slash classes in addition to all the existing ones.

And we water our track so it normally has good traction, and other tracks around that are indoors should be good also. So, a faster motor would indeed be an advantage at many tracks.

I've stated the same thing about running a faster motor on a loose track not being much advantage, if any... but that's only for a loose track. And, it's not always just lap times that matter. Running stock and mod together creates problems on the track because of the way they get around the track, even when the laps times are the same.

If rules are bad, then why even keep the stock tires? Just make it a "slash body" class and we can run anything we want under it. I have a 4wd chassis I would use...

I only posting a -1 as my opinion when others where posting +1, that's all.
glassdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:37 PM   #283
Suspended

these trucks aren't stock! these little doggies already have 12T motors, so what difference does motor choice make other that reducing longterm costs by allowing folks to run more reliable mills?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdoctor View Post
when the "slash spec" class dies, fine. make it an open mod class. But right now, at many tracks it's working great as a box stock spec class. I don't know if it would be a good thing to have TWO slash classes in addition to all the existing ones.

And we water our track so it normally has good traction, and other tracks around that are indoors should be good also. So, a faster motor would indeed be an advantage at many tracks.

I've stated the same thing about running a faster motor on a loose track not being much advantage, if any... but that's only for a loose track. And, it's not always just lap times that matter. Running stock and mod together creates problems on the track because of the way they get around the track, even when the laps times are the same.

If rules are bad, then why even keep the stock tires? Just make it a "slash body" class and we can run anything we want under it. I have a 4wd chassis I would use...

I only posting a -1 as my opinion when others where posting +1, that's all.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:24 AM   #284
Tech Elite

I think you guys should wait until you see how the AE truck is equipped, its size, etc. before talking about rules etc. This thread could even be in the wrong forum "Micro and Mini Scales" here we come!

It is a good read though
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:36 AM   #285
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

muhuhahahahaha