R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-18-2008, 11:09 AM   #256
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to OTE_TheMissile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
Tamiya only has one spec class...the rest are pretty much wide-open for mods as long as you use their parts. Some require a plastic chassis and they all have a certain motor, but that's about it.
...Which is just like running in the Stock Truck class for offroad. It has to be a truck chassis, using truck tires, a 6-cell battery and a 27T 24 motor. That's it, a whole class defined in 4 rules, and life was good.

I know I'm not the only one who's blown away by how difficult a concept limited racing is for some people to grasp. Go to any local pavement short track here in the midwest and Limited Late Model will have by and far the biggest turnout, well more than Super Late Model. It keeps the costs reasonable, the cars driveable, and has plenty of room for drivers to experiment with car setup. Why is this being made into such a big deal?!?

Last edited by OTE_TheMissile; 07-18-2008 at 11:23 AM.
OTE_TheMissile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:15 AM   #257
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JDCrow Send a message via Skype™ to JDCrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket-mtrsprts View Post
I hate to even try and formulate a list of vehicles that came on the market over the last 20 years in which somebody didn't try to force into some spec classification ~ and I also can't remember a single one of them that still survives.
Just trying to help you add to your all knowing brain and get to a 25 Post Per Day Average before the weekend.

Since you stated you can't remember a single one of them that still survives, I thought I would help you since TCS Mini continues to survive and grow as a One Mfg Spec Racer Class.
JDCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:33 AM   #258
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCrow View Post
Since you stated you can't remember a single one of them that still survives, I thought I would help you since TCS Mini continues to survive and grow as a One Mfg Spec Racer Class.
I think you already made that point, but I guess you too are adding to your daily post tally.

But since you didn't get it the first time, I'll repeat myself ~
organized, sponsored, ruled, and supported totally by Tamaiya.

my guess is the day the company pulls the support the class dies faster than paris hilton can get her clothes off for a camera.
rocket-mtrsprts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:35 AM   #259
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

i don't think people will jump ship too fast to the ae simply because the slash does what it's supposed to do and does it well...rolls around tracks and over jumps,gets covered in mud and guess what still runs...what more could you ask for...other than durability and the ability to run without fear of breaking fragile parts

AE im waiting...bring the comp to the track guys...can't wait will make the corr class even more fun
NitroLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:36 AM   #260
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTE_TheMissile View Post
Why is this being made into such a big deal?!?
everybody wants it to be like Burger King, "Have it Your Way!",
and they don't want to give an inch.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:44 AM   #261
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCrow View Post
Just trying to help you add to your all knowing brain and get to a 25 Post Per Day Average before the weekend.

Well...I agree with the first part...LOL...but TCS mini isn't spec. At least not like the guys on here are talking. You can pick one of three chassis lengths, use all the hop-ups you want (that are designed for the M-chassis), any one of a number of batteries (round OR flat), any electronics, any Tamiya 60D tire...you just have to run a silver can and build the car according to the instructions (no modifications of the parts).

Those are pretty reasonable rules, IMO. Some guys want to "spec" the thing to where you have to literally open the box at the track and use handout batteries. Gimme a break. I wanna take it apart and mess with it...clean out the bearings...shim stuff...polish a turd if you will. I'm gonna buy the pretty rear uprights and the aluminum hexes. If you won't let me race at your track because of that...it's your loss.

Tires and motors will keep it as close as it's ever gonna get. When the pros and near-pros start cherry-picking in a near-stock "fun" class and smoking everybody, it's gonna take a dive regardless of the hop-ups, because not many people like to be a speed bump week after week.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:10 PM   #262
Tech Elite

Here, watch me define a perfectly legitimate set of rules for CORR-style R/C truck racing:
2WD electric, anyways...

Basic Rules
Body & Chassis: Full-bodied 2WD truck chassis. Rear Spoilers/wings are not allowed

Tires: Any full-body style stadium truck tire with a block tread; no slicks, pins, ribs, or fuzzies allowed.

Sportsman-2 (aka the new "Stock Truck")
Motor: Any ROAR-approved 27T 24 Stock motor, RTR modified, or brushless equivalent

Battery: 6-cell NiCd/NiMH or {insert whatever the hell an equivalent LiPo is here}

Truck must weigh a minimum of {insert weight here} when track-ready (this is mostly for LiPo users, that weight would be a tick under what the truck would weigh with a 6-cell nickel pack installed)

Pro-2
Motor: Knock yourself out. If you can't hang onto it because of wheelspin or you start going through transmissions, instead of blaming the track conditions maybe ease up on the trigger or consider you've got a little too much motor in the truck

Battery: If you can instill a degree of confidence it's not capable of turning the track into a smoldering crater, go for it

Weight: Lighter is faster, right?

Any questions, ask the race director
Any whining about having no traction, go buy a carpet car

Was that so difficult?

Last edited by OTE_TheMissile; 07-18-2008 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:12 PM   #263
Suspended

Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)

Well I guess someone at AE is paying attention to this thread because they changed the banner on their site to say "SC51" instead of "SC8"......
MattP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:21 PM   #264
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattP View Post
Well I guess someone at AE is paying attention to this thread because they changed the banner on their site to say "SC51" instead of "SC8"......
To late now.

Now I wonder how long it will be before the official announcement?

550 Mafia.
Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:32 PM   #265
Suspended

Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)

Hopefully not too long because whether it's electric or nitro I will be ordering me one as soon as they are in the hobby shops......
MattP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:42 PM   #266
Tech Elite

I hope the new truck doesn't release like the T4 did. I kept racing my old Factory Team T3 while I waited for the Factory Team T4 to come out. It worked out good in the end, for a few months I had the hot-snot race truck while everyone else was trying to figure out how to get rid of their standard T4s, but up until then I had to drive like a friggin' MANIAC to keep up with them
Old 07-18-2008, 12:52 PM   #267
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawler View Post
To late now.

Now I wonder how long it will be before the official announcement?

Haha...my web sleuthing skills caught 'em with their pants down. Changing the filename is confirmation enough for me!
kdeselms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:57 PM   #268
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

well what ever it is kit,rtr....I am waiting to see the full scoop on it
NitroLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 01:04 PM   #269
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTE_TheMissile View Post
Here, watch me define a perfectly legitimate set of rules for CORR-style R/C truck racing:
2WD electric, anyways...

Basic Rules
Body & Chassis: Full-bodied 2WD truck chassis. Rear Spoilers/wings are not allowed

Tires: Any full-body style stadium truck tire with a block tread; no slicks, pins, ribs, or fuzzies allowed.

Sportsman-2 (aka the new "Stock Truck")
Motor: Any ROAR-approved 27T 24 Stock motor, RTR modified, or brushless equivalent

Battery: 6-cell NiCd/NiMH or {insert whatever the hell an equivalent LiPo is here}

Truck must weigh a minimum of {insert weight here} when track-ready (this is mostly for LiPo users, that weight would be a tick under what the truck would weigh with a 6-cell nickel pack installed)

Pro-2
Motor: Knock yourself out. If you can't hang onto it because of wheelspin or you start going through transmissions, instead of blaming the track conditions maybe ease up on the trigger or consider you've got a little too much motor in the truck

Battery: If you can instill a degree of confidence it's not capable of turning the track into a smoldering crater, go for it

Weight: Lighter is faster, right?

Any questions, ask the race director
Any whining about having no traction, go buy a carpet car

Was that so difficult?
Good start OTE_TheMissile,
only problem being as I see it is that the Slash's come stock with a 12T motor.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:23 PM   #270
Tech Elite

Yeah, but every one of those RTR modifieds I've seen were junk, the only reason they're mod arms is to give them half a chance to hang with a competition grade Stock motor

...although usually it's something like a 19T or 16T, never heard of an RTR 12T. The Slash that I drove, first thing the guy did when he got it was swap out the Titan for a Velineon brushless, so I can't honestly say what the 12T Titan runs like