Wiki Posts
Search

Ice Charger Woes - Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 10:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Ice Charger Woes - Please Help

Hi all,
I purchased an Ice Charger a little over a year ago. I didn't use it very much as I raced very little last year. It worked fine at first, just the way it is supposed to. Then one day, I noticed that while charging, it gave off a short "two tone" noise, but didn't alert with beeping or with the ending song I had programed it for. When I went to check it, it said Top off delay, and "END DELTA PEAK" was flashing. I disconnected it and it beeped continuously saying "open circuit". So I tried another battery, and it did the same thing, except this time rather than disconnecting it, I watched it and it was counting down minutes and seconds. When it finished that, it started charging again. It did this again after that countdown also. Like it was stuck in a loop. It had never done this before and also did it with Lipo (or any battery I put on it). I hadn't changed any of the programing on it and searched the directions, but could find nothing. I called the company and talked to a tech who said he had never heard of this before and requested I send it back. I did so. The second Ice I got was missing the first two lines of each menu, so I had to send that one back (after again talking to a tech). Now I am on my third Ice, which is doing the exact same thing the first Ice did - the top off delay and time count down. I will call them AGAIN in the morning, but am wondering if anybody out there has an Ice that has done this same thing and knows what to do? I realize the techs at the company didn't know, but I am getting tired of sending these things back and forth. Also, the dial on this one is "wobbly". I had asked them after the second time if I had been sent a refurbished unit and they said that warranty units were "new", but to state I wanted new in a note enclosed. I can't believe the quality of the Ice has gone down so bad. Before I bought this charger, I heard nothing but raves about it, and it is not a cheap charger. I also have another charger that auto detects the number of cells to charge, but have read recently that the auto detect chargers can often misjudge and ruin batteries - particularly expensive Lipos. I have had no problems with the auto detect charger. What's the opinion on those? I don't know what to do now! Thanks for any help you can give.

Diane
Old 06-23-2008, 12:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

see 13 on page 15 of manual. It sounds like the top-off is set. All of the behavoir of all your ices sounds normal to me. (except the missing lines)
Set the top-off to 0 or none if it is not desired.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Thanks!

Gulio,
Thank you so much for your advice. It worked perfectly. I appreciate it very much. The only thing I don't understand is why it would be come preset to top off. My original one did not do that, but started doing it after several months, without me changing it to do so. I don't understand why it would change itself. But your helpful advice helped me to get the new one changed to stop topping off. Thanks again!
Old 07-08-2008, 09:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Hmm, well I don't know. I also don't know what setting is used from the factory. WE can reset all defaults if we want to find out.