R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-11-2003, 05:02 PM   #121
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

that is exactly why I asked to what is he comparing the engine. Cause i have only heard the same you have(PTP Racing). And it comes from very reliable sources.

i do share same idea as hobbytownracer. With the right clutch, gearing and pipe set up the ws7 and ws72 are powerhouses.

U know Justin H runs the ws72 and he can run with the best out there.
eltorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 06:47 PM   #122
Tech Adept

Apparently most people can't tune the WS7 II properly on the low end/mid, hence the lack of torque .. or so I've read over on SGrid.

Beats me .. but for everytime I have heard that I think I have heard the P5 has more low end about 10 times haha
chorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 06:55 PM   #123
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to speedydave Send a message via Yahoo to speedydave

The P5 seems to have more power overall, especially bottom end. I haven't driven one, though, just judging by how it looks in other buggies. My WS7 is really easy to get the HSN set, but the LSN has been a bitch. When I have it right in the sweet spot, it screams, but it's been difficult for me to get it there(it's usually too rich, but when I lean it out 1/16, the temps shoot up).
speedydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 12:36 AM   #124
Tech Adept

I have also ran my C5 in a Hyper 7 PBS, it flat out screamed.

its true the P5 has more lowend then a WS7 and the same top but the WS7II has more top then the P5, we're not talking the difference between winning and losing unless your a pro.

I think in the end it comes down to tuning and car setup ability, my C5 likes to be rich on the lowend with my current setup.

nothing beats the sound of a pissed off C5 sreaming down the back straight

the C5 is very underrated.
Josh K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 12:37 AM   #125
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by speedydave
My WS7 is really easy to get the HSN set, but the LSN has been a bitch. When I have it right in the sweet spot, it screams, but it's been difficult for me to get it there(it's usually too rich, but when I lean it out 1/16, the temps shoot up).
have you greased the needle orings and sealed the motor?
Josh K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 12:47 AM   #126
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to speedydave Send a message via Yahoo to speedydave

Nope. It always temps around 235, just lately it hasn't been wanting to idle without loading up, no matter what. I dunno though, it may just be the changing weather(California)...
speedydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 02:27 AM   #127
Tech Regular

Is there a difference between the P5 with a purple or a blue head?
StepPins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 06:18 AM   #128
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I know the case on the purple head(Novarossi) is bigger than the blue head(Rex which is made by Novarossi). I dont know if there is any difference in the internals.

Lot of guys say that it is best to get the Purple head version. But i have yet to figure out why.
eltorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 08:00 AM   #129
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to moshmxpx

same internals. just the case is different. the nova P5 case is much stronger than the rex P5.
moshmxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 11:47 AM   #130
Tech Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to TambokGT

Quote:
Originally posted by eltorito
Lot of guys say that it is best to get the Purple head version. But i have yet to figure out why.
...because most of the guys running the blue REX head are the ones who are experiencing bearing and o-ring problems. Better safe than sorry.
TambokGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 01:40 PM   #131
Tech Adept

If you're leaning the low speed needle that little and temps shoot up, its your main metering needle (HSN) that needs to be opened up a little.

Also, try and engage the mid speed a little later so the LSN needle is in the spray bar a little longer. General rule when first adjusting the mid speed, is to move the LSN the same as the spray bar the same amount, in the same direction.

So if you retard the timing (lean the mid) by 1/12 then you should richen the LSN by 1/12 so that the spray bar, and LSN move together maintaining the same spacing. Then, once that is accomplished run it around, then bring it back in and first make sure your HSN is set so you are slightly rich up top, then lean out/richen your LSN last.

Should be able to get just as much punch out of the WS7II as the P5 without a noticeable difference anyway. You want to have enough bite own low to clear the jumps with minimal run; but at the same time you don't want the sucker to spin the crap out of the wheels on the slightest touch of the throttle either. Won't make you any faster

Anyways ... I don't own either so perhaps I'm just shooting the shit; but I know others who can pull as hard or harder than properly tuned P5's off the line without having to drop down a million teeth and drill the crud out of your clutch shoes.
chorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 05:38 PM   #132
Tech Rookie

Reviving this thread -

I am building a Mugen MBX5 and am looking for a really good .21 motor.

The track I drive on here in Georgia is kinda fast - and I need some serious pull to make the jumps..

I am thinking about the WS7II, the OS VZ-B(P), or the NovaRoss Rex P5.

I read that Trinity makes a knock off of the P5 or there is some controversy over the color head and amount of power.

I am leaning toward the WS7II - but who sells these? I cant seem to find a seller -
The very-very-very close second is the OS.

Any comments on the choices and recomendation for on where to buy a WS ?
TerrySL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 06:04 PM   #133
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You should be able to find all the engines you mentioned here: www.ace-hobbies.com.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 06:56 PM   #134
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to KINGZJ

O.S. needs to be givin a little time to prove their new engine is going to last. (as of now it isn't) I am talking about the vzb.

RB engines while very fast are like a light switch. They do not have a linear throttle response at all unless you install a O.S. carb. For some people this is ok but I dont like that kind of feel.

Picco Omega is as smooth as a O.S. vo1 and makes great power I use the super comp and am very happy with it. I used to run RB engines only but I got a deal on a super comp and now own 4 of them and no RB's

I am not a big p5 fan, have not been impressed by their performance and they have some issues with the carb and rear bearing. Some guys really have good luck with them though.

Another top notch engine is the now discontinued O.S. vo1b if you can find one new in box you will not be dissapointed.

Stay away from the sirio engines I have not heard or seen a good thing yet out of them (except for the few trinity guys that install a new one every run)
KINGZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 04:09 PM   #135
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i have the trinity novarossi p5 and ive been extremely impressed so far

trinity is the exclusive importer for novarossi engines to the USA so if its a trinity its a true novarossi not a knock off

the ws7 2 is also a good choice ive seen plenty of guys running them who are very fast also

i dont care much for OS engines the piston and sleeves dont seem to last very long and they dont seem to get very good fuel economy but they do have a good warranty

if your track is large i would recommend the ws7 2 if its on the tighter side the p5 is the way to go

and i agree with kingzj about sirio so far i havent seen anyone have good luck with them except for the trinity sponsored guy who runs here sometimes and i noticed he was using novarossi carbs on them