R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-17-2003, 10:42 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to rc_crazy22
Default im going crazy trying to deicede on which buggy! please help me pick!!!! AHHHHHH

AS u probley all ready thought im stuck between picking eithe the Inferno MP-7.5 Kanai Edition II or mugen mbx5. these are both really good buggys and my lhs supports these two really good. but i still still need help picking. I would ike to hear from peolpe who have owned both kits and like to know what u think! like if u could only buy that one kit and u couldent go back out for a while to get anther then which one would u pick! which parst cost more to fix! and which is the better overall buggy!

u can reply here!
email me: [email protected]
aim: sweettooth705

thank you!
rc_crazy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 06:04 PM   #2
Tech Apprentice

MUGEN MBX5 ALL THE WAY
xtremetouring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 07:13 PM   #3
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by xtremetouring
MUGEN MBX5 ALL THE WAY
Thats what I would buy
Peter Busch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 03:58 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Get the kanai 2 and be happy. Althou the mbx5 looks good on the track. Only thing I've seen with them they seem to have a problem blowing steering servos, althou all 1/8 are hard on servos
Old 08-18-2003, 04:12 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

tony montana there you go again

BTW havent seen your non racing butt at the races in pasadena yet are you going to at least come to one race or what or do i have to go to hollywood to kick your butt (im joking)

mbx5 has got no issues with servos that any other buggy doesnt also have

in fact do i dare say you are basing that asumption off of my racing experience?

all 1/8 have the same type of servo saver on the steering

but back to the point

i strongly recommend the mbx5 i have a mbx5 and it has been great

at least one guy i now of made the switch from kanai and is happy he did

there is only 1 flaw with the mbx5 and it can be remedied easily when you build the kit as in the instructions there is alot of bump steer to remedy that alot of guys put washers under the plate doing that causes the plate to eventually bend causing too much toe out

the fix is really simple and cheap buy an additional steering plate and cut the ends off so it can be mounted under under the other plate that gives you the proper spacing to eliminate most if not all the bump steer and will reinforce the plate so bending is impossible

other than that one thing i have been racing my buggy since june without any breakage and that includes 3 40 minute mains and probably 10 20-30 minutes mains plus tons of qualifiers and practice time

i have replaced the clutch bearings a couple times and broken my steering servo twice but i blame the servo for that not the buggy

if i didnt have the mbx5 i bet i wouldnt have been in every A main at our local track this summer and be sitting 2nd or 3rd in there point series

get one and you will not be disappointed i promise you
Old 08-18-2003, 04:22 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Ptp racing, Im not bashing the mbx5 at all, Im not even talking about your servos, Billy Dove was down racing 2 weeks ago and blew out 2 airtronics steering servos, I think they were 357 or 358's. Yes I have been racing as a matter of fact I won this past weekend by over a lap ran 39 laps in 20 minutes, with cosistent lap times of low 30's to mid 29's. I do plan however coming to pasadena everytime you guys are racing I have something going on. Who ended up winning the state race? How did you finish? You need to make your why down to hollywood one weekend
Old 08-18-2003, 04:29 PM   #7
Tech Elite

chris crews won the state race i was 6th

i dont know if i am going to make it down to hollywood or not maybe if my wife plans something for sunday but leaves saturday open i would come but you guys dont have a drivers stand and it doesnt look like the traction is very good either

plus i work some saturdays now but who knows

you buddy javier races with us most weeks why havent you rode up with him?

3 trophy races this summer and you missed them all punk

i got 5 really pretty trophies this summer up there

its where all the real competition is for 1/8 we got guys from delaware and PA and VA coming up nearly every week for club races and you cant get up here from SO MD come on

we raced almost every weekend this summer even some when the weather was kinda rainy we ran anyway

do yourself a favor and get up here at least once before the end of the year im telling you its the place to race offroad in the central east coast region
Old 08-18-2003, 04:56 PM   #8
Tech Champion

We have a drivers stand, althou its not a giant one like we had at the onroad track and traction isnt that bad, well it is for trucks I'll tell you the biggest reason I dont come up there Is I got tired of everybody's attitiude racing onroad, people threathing each other, not a very good enviroment, it got the the point I wouldnt even ask anyone questions or was scared to even look at someone the wrong way, but the worst is getting cursed out for not marshlling ther cars not fast enough. Just got tired of being around that enviroment. Althou I will say that everyone that came down from pasadena to our track were pretty cool
Old 08-18-2003, 09:39 PM   #9
Tech Elite

you said it ONROAD those guys cant get along just read the thread on here they are always fighting

then go to trinity tech talk and read the pasadena thread where everyone is helping everyone else and joking around having fun

i stopped onroad because dougs screwed up and lost the crowd and because i didnt feel as challenged as i did offroad in pasadena

i can barely keep myself in the A-main every week and there are 10 more guys right behind me ready to push me into the C main if i screw up

you can come to pasadena even when we get a good club race turnout and watch a C main full of good drivers let alone the B and A mains

and yeah sometimes guys yell and get out of control but its nowhere near what ive been hearing from the onroad guys and after its all over we are laughing and having a good time win or lose

and back to the thread topic get a MBX5
Old 08-18-2003, 10:15 PM   #10
Tech Adept

i too am looking into getting a buggy and was wonderin which
to get the mbx5 or the kanai 2. what are some main differences
between the two buggies , do they both have quad brakes and
does that really even matter? also what servo specs do i need
to be competetive at races(digital non digital torq speed). what else is important ? sorry for the basic questions but i am new to 1/8 scale i race mostly nitro onroad and used to race 1/10 nitro trucks but i have decided
to step up to the 1/8 plate i mean power er uh
thanks for any info
sb
sbmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 01:23 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to TambokGT

Quote:
Originally posted by sbmon
i too am looking into getting a buggy and was wonderin which
to get the mbx5 or the kanai 2. what are some main differences
between the two buggies , do they both have quad brakes and
does that really even matter? also what servo specs do i need
to be competetive at races(digital non digital torq speed). what else is important ? sorry for the basic questions but i am new to 1/8 scale i race mostly nitro onroad and used to race 1/10 nitro trucks but i have decided
to step up to the 1/8 plate i mean power er uh
thanks for any info
sb
X5 is like K2 but lighter and cheaper parts.
TambokGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 04:51 PM   #12
Tech Elite

the differnces between the 2 is price mbx5 being cheaper and the front suspension oh and the diffs

i think mugens got kyosho beat in all those areas but there are plently who would disagree

mugen uses pivot ball suspension which is known to be very durable and adjustable

mugen uses standard diffs which alot of kyosho drivers switch to after getting kanai

and mugen is lighter and the cg is lower

did i mention cheaper

for servos everyone has been saying to get airtronics ??357 or ??358 servos they are not digital and have lots of speed and torque i have just got the 357 and im gfoing to use it for steering since i have had both hitec and futaba digitals crap out on me this season racing

and quad brakes are not needed just a good dual setup
Old 08-19-2003, 05:07 PM   #13
Tech Champion

I hope to be up there shortly, What shock oil are you running in your buggy? Do crimefighters seem to work pretty well up there? Also maybe a stupid question do you cut your tire inserts on an angle on the outside of your inserts. Also I did see that trinity does have a novarossi p5 in stock may order it this week. Do you think my os will be able to keep up ?
Old 08-19-2003, 05:14 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to TambokGT

nope.
TambokGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 08:46 PM   #15
Tech Elite

the answers are

40 in the front and 30 in the rear

crimefighters work great everywhere

no i dont cut my inserts im too lazy

and your os will be fine

but you wont be able to keep up ive got p5 power a mbx5 and a whole lot more practice

but you should still have a good time in the B or C and look on the bright side we run 2 bump-ups so there is still hope