R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 06-29-2008, 01:01 AM   #1
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 147 (100%+)
Exclamation Traxxas Slash, SETUPS ONLY ! ! ! ! !Traxxas Slash, SETUPS ONLY ! ! ! ! !

They are several threads on the slash, which are all cool, one thread almost 40 pages already but after reading all those pages all weekend hardly any info on performance setups, im not gonna race the slash nationals or anything just a few tips to make it handle a little bit better and faster would be cool.....................

shock oils, shock springs, shock pistons,shock limiters,speedo, brushless gearing, size motor, lipo size, run time, (1/8 buggy rim conversions,more traction?), stronger parts, top speed MPH, etc,etc,etc,etc,etc,etc........

so time to show off your setups,laptimes,longest wheelie,longest jump....etc,etc,etc, oh and biggest smile on your face after buying these cool trucks.......

Last edited by nobike; 06-29-2008 at 02:10 PM.
nobike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 01:21 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Racing:
xl5/550-12t(geared 18/86)
stock shock oils thus far
futaba 3pm spec radio
stock rims tires
stock servo
6 cell 3900nimh

Bashing/Speed Trials:
mm 7700 geared 20/86
custom 8 cell 3700mah packs

have run this car with mm7700 on 6cell and it's ok...so i am hoping the 9.6v will really get it going...without nuking my controller and motor lol
NitroLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 09:56 AM   #3
Tech Addict

The 4600 motor is better for non-touring setups, though i'd go vxl in a traxxas non-MT setup.they have good power for heavier vehicles
crazyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:31 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Leave it stock (especially the tires), once you start changing things this thing just becomes a big electric vehicle that's slower than all the existing platforms out there. Leave it stock and you have the single most realistic running spec class racer to come out since before touring cars got all messed up with the same things (foam tires, battery wars, motors that only last 5-6 runs, etc.).
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:45 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Race setup

Gearing= 86T-21T
Shock oil= 50wt/front, 60wt/rear. AE oil
Ride height= front arms level, rear= between arms and drivshafts level.
0 degrees front toe in.
Rear camber= -2.5
Front camber= -2
Battery= 7.4V 4900mah Trakpower Lipo, all the way to the rear.
Spektrum receiver.
Drilled all hinge pins locations to free up suspension.
Everything else stock.

Results= Truck has pretty good power but may need to go a little softer on the shock oil. Ended up 11 seconds off of 1/10 Mod truck track record!!!!
Stallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 04:10 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Losi 60 wt oil on all 4 corners, 2 1/2 turns out on the slipper, everything else BONE STOCK. Takes the jumps much better and settles the suspension on cornering on both carpet and dirt
Old 06-29-2008, 05:02 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
Leave it stock (especially the tires), once you start changing things this thing just becomes a big electric vehicle that's slower than all the existing platforms out there. Leave it stock and you have the single most realistic running spec class racer to come out since before touring cars got all messed up with the same things (foam tires, battery wars, motors that only last 5-6 runs, etc.).
I don't think anyone is talking about changing the big stuff...but playing with them mechanically is part of the fun, isn't it? Nothing wrong with that from what *I* can see. Heck...most of the tuning stuff you need comes in the box...clips, pistons...different holes in the arms...

I'd post what I've done, but I'm not sure it's worth a crap...LOL
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:32 AM   #8
Tech Champion

Old 06-30-2008, 10:06 AM   #9
Tech Adept

I raced mine this weekend with the stock Suspension setup with stock oils. It rolls like a Mofo.... a little too much for tight fast corners. There was one guy with one also who had put 70wt oil in his. Much less roll, but he was even saying it was too heavy on the oil. I plan to swap oils to 40 front, 50 rear. It looks like drilling out the pin holes is a good thing and will do that also.

For this last race I put in my 13.5 GTB setup from my XXX-T CR. Geared at 86/25 the motor was running good in the 150 range. When we get a few more rolling for a real spec class I will swap back to stock electrics. I was really surprised by the overall handling and jumping of the Slash. I was doing better than with my CR, almost clearing the triple.

I also run orion 4800's at the back of the battery tray.
olydemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:02 PM   #10
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by olydemon View Post
I raced mine this weekend with the stock Suspension setup with stock oils. It rolls like a Mofo.... a little too much for tight fast corners. There was one guy with one also who had put 70wt oil in his. Much less roll, but he was even saying it was too heavy on the oil. I plan to swap oils to 40 front, 50 rear. It looks like drilling out the pin holes is a good thing and will do that also.

For this last race I put in my 13.5 GTB setup from my XXX-T CR. Geared at 86/25 the motor was running good in the 150 range. When we get a few more rolling for a real spec class I will swap back to stock electrics. I was really surprised by the overall handling and jumping of the Slash. I was doing better than with my CR, almost clearing the triple.

I also run orion 4800's at the back of the battery tray.
i usually only race nitro buggy and truggy and we normally run temps between 200-250, what would be a temp range for a brushless motor? or speedo or what would be consider hot?
Old 06-30-2008, 09:14 PM   #11
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobike View Post
i usually only race nitro buggy and truggy and we normally run temps between 200-250, what would be a temp range for a brushless motor? or speedo or what would be consider hot?

For motors:
Novak recommends 160 - 175... as they say "designed to operate comfortably. Mambas i believe run hotter, 200 seems to be the upper limit if recall.

I'm not sure whats the limit for the ESC. So far Ive never felt my GTB really get hot. The Mamba does get hot, but never any hotter than the motors. I did just get my temp gun replaced after it was reading 200+ on a pop can fresh from the fridge. I'll have to re-temp my Mamba to see where it really is since i think the old measurments of 200+ were false.
olydemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:11 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobike View Post
Charlie from Novak says he uses the "6 second rule". If you can keep your finger on it for 6 seconds, you're good.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:36 PM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Sorry bro, don't read Chinese!

550 Mafia.
Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:56 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xujingmei05 View Post
乐洗风情高质干洗店蕴含了广泛的人文基础,烫台 是集衣物、家居、车辆等多功能清洁于一身的大众品牌,得到了民众的称赞和认可。乐洗于近年首推的“付洗衣费 即可免费当年保管”业务,被喻为“衣物保险箱”,将洗衣工作带入了一个至高点。自从第一家乐洗 风情高质干洗店设备洗衣店在国内正式营业后,迄今为止已开设多家店铺,并在北京设立服务调度中心,方便为乐洗店服务。2007 年伊始乐洗推出了专为初次从商的投资者量身打造的开店方案,得到了很多无从商经历的从业者的认 可与支持。 乐洗将继续遵高质的服务理念,为开创国内衣物保洁服务新纪元而努力,也必将在国内掀起集健康、环保、特色于 一体的洗衣新浪潮。
You no speak ingles?

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:58 PM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xujingmei05 View Post
乐洗风情高质干洗店蕴含了广泛的人文基础,烫台 是集衣物、家居、车辆等多功能清洁于一身的大众品牌,得到了民众的称赞和认可。乐洗于近年首推的“付洗衣费 即可免费当年保管”业务,被喻为“衣物保险箱”,将洗衣工作带入了一个至高点。自从第一家乐洗 风情高质干洗店设备洗衣店在国内正式营业后,迄今为止已开设多家店铺,并在北京设立服务调度中心,方便为乐洗店服务。2007 年伊始乐洗推出了专为初次从商的投资者量身打造的开店方案,得到了很多无从商经历的从业者的认 可与支持。 乐洗将继续遵高质的服务理念,为开创国内衣物保洁服务新纪元而努力,也必将在国内掀起集健康、环保、特色于 一体的洗衣新浪潮。
ENGLSIH TRANSLATION:
Is the collection clothing, lives at home, the vehicles and so on multi-purpose cleanly in a body populace brand, obtained populace's commendation and the approval.Le Xiyu recent years regarded “pays washes clothes spends then the free same year to take care of” the service, is explained is “the clothing safety deposit box”, will wash clothes the work to lead a vertices.

You need to spiffen up in your Chinese.

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote