R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 06-27-2008, 07:34 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)
Default first time off road race help

im going to be racing in my first off road race with a xxx t. it will be a stock motor class. i dont think my electrics would be competitive. what would i need to get to make it a reliable strong running truck. i will be tweaking the suspension and trying different shock oils on my cusions moto cross practice track. any help is very appreciated.
i was looking at a tekin fx-r esc and a programer. and a 6 cell 4600 matched pack. would that be good enough?
triggerman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:45 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to nv529

don't worry so much about the electronics most cars are dead even in stock powerwise.. worry more about being smooth,timing the jumps right and finding the "fast lane" around the track. any form of closed course racing is 75% driver 20% tire/suspenion set up and 10% power.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:56 PM   #3
Tech Master

i used to race moto cross on a atv. would that be pretty much the same concept. i want to upgrade the electrics because i would want to try to do some of the bigger jumps sucessfully. trying to get the right amount of throttle to jump it, throttle and brake in the air, and the landing is what i might have a problem with. and my electrics arent all that great. well the motors are fine.
thanks for the reply nv529. i also have old 3300's. i know they wont last a whole 6 minute race.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:11 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

First go ask what tires everybody is using. Second make sure your truck has fresh shock fluid and has been completely cleaned and inspected for broken parts, loose bolts, etc. Make sure diff is smooth. Have someone cut the comm on the motor and put in new brushes. If your sure the batteries won't make an entire race then buy a couple QUALITY matched packs or lipo packs. Nothing sucks more than doing well in a race and then your truck has a bolt come loose or your pack dies. Suspension setup won't matter all that much without the right tires. Last, make sure to get in some practice on the track you will be racing on. Have FUN
mwiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:18 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Replace those batteries with out a doubt, and the 46oo's are a great upgrade.

Like nv529 said stock class is pretty equal.

If I were to upgrade the electronics I would go with the Novak rooster esc because you can go down to a 12 turn motor for future use, or the xrs which you can go as low as a 15 turn motor. Both have reverse as well which is great for bashing, just dont use reverse in a race.

For the motor I would go with the CO27. Its fast and reliable and not that expensive. You can get the CO27 and the XRS for under $100, and that would be a great up grade.

Thats just me, and others may feel different, but the quality is there, you can use different turn motors with either esc, and for a stock motor that is priced right, its hard to beat the CO27.

If you have money to spend of course go brushless.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:19 PM   #6
Tech Elite

x2 on the fresh, correct tires. Just ask what everyone else is using and you will be fine.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:52 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I don't mean to highjack your thread, but where are you racing, in mid mo? I have been thinking about giving off-road a try. I race dirt oval now.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:14 AM   #8
Tech Master

i know tires play a big part. there is no track right now. the track will be made in 2 weeks so the tires that will be used will be a guess at first.
im going to practice on my cousins motocross track so hopefully that would help some. well with learning how to fly it. smoothness, throttle control, etc. the motors i will be running are at the lhs. he wants $80 for a box of 8 motors that have been cut and dynoed.
i have a lrp runner esc right now. would that be good to race in a stock class? if so then i would focus on a couple good race packs. and i was thinking of getting 2 elite 4700 packs from cheapbatterypacks.com or 4600 matched packs from somewhere. dont want to go with a lipo right now.
craigb_3, where ill be racing at is in moberly missouri. it will be at a county fair on the 13th of july. email rusty at, [email protected]. $15 per class, 3-5min rounds of qualifying, electric mains-6min, gas mains 10min, opens at 8, pratice till 11:30, racing at 12 sharp. it is a trophy race.
classes:
1/18th stock oval
1/10th stock truck/buggy
1/10th gas truck
monster truck
1/8th buggy
1/8th truggy
ill be racing my slider on the oval and hopefully the xxx t or a b4. ive been racing my slider at pt&a hobbies in moberly (660-353-9508). 90ft carpet.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:51 AM   #9
Tech Elite

You dont need 8 motors. Buy one and use the difference to get an additional battery because you will need at least 2 fresh battery packs.

(Just something to think about, on a side note, why so many motors so cheap? Usually you get what you pay for.)

I have had good luck with the energy 4600 cells and would recomend them because I dont know that much about the other ones you mentioned.

Your esc should be ok but you mentioned replacing the electronics in your first post. If your questioning it, it wouldnt hurt to upgrade it.

Seriously though, if your going to spend $80 on 8 stock motors, buy one C027 and use the change towards upgrading the esc, an additional battery or a second motor such as a 19 turn, which will be much faster, still controable and a heck of a lot more fun when your not racing in the stock class.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:15 AM   #10
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG RC 10T View Post
You dont need 8 motors. Buy one and use the difference to get an additional battery because you will need at least 2 fresh battery packs.

(Just something to think about, on a side note, why so many motors so cheap? Usually you get what you pay for.)

I have had good luck with the energy 4600 cells and would recomend them because I dont know that much about the other ones you mentioned.

Your esc should be ok but you mentioned replacing the electronics in your first post. If your questioning it, it wouldnt hurt to upgrade it.

Seriously though, if your going to spend $80 on 8 stock motors, buy one C027 and use the change towards upgrading the esc, an additional battery or a second motor such as a 19 turn, which will be much faster, still controable and a heck of a lot more fun when your not racing in the stock class.
i understand where you are comming from about the motors. the thing with the motors is they would come in handy. ive got 2 b4s and the xxxt. all of them are not stock motors. ive done alot of business with the lhs owner, rc and not rc related, he got them on a trade from someone i know. they are good motors and i want them before some else gets them. and ive been running the computer for him on race nights and will be helping him move the shop. its a friend thing. we trust each other.
the energy 4600s and the elite 4700s is what im wanting to go with. i am wanting to get one of each to see which one i get a couple more of when im serious about off road. im wanting to start a little this year to learn stuff before next year. ive been racing 18th carpet oval for 6 months and big fingers and small cars is really annoying. but its fun.
og rc 10t thanks for the replies.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:15 AM   #11
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG RC 10T View Post

i understand where you are comming from about the motors. the thing with the motors is they would come in handy. ive got 2 b4s and the xxxt. all of them are not stock motors. ive done alot of business with the lhs owner, rc and not rc related, he got them on a trade from someone i know. they are good motors and i want them before some else gets them. and ive been running the computer for him on race nights and will be helping him move the shop. its a friend thing. we trust each other.
the energy 4600s and the elite 4700s is what im wanting to go with. i am wanting to get one of each to see which one i get a couple more of when im serious about off road. im wanting to start a little this year to learn stuff before next year. ive been racing 18th carpet oval for 6 months and big fingers and small cars is really annoying. but its fun.
og rc 10t thanks for the replies.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:05 PM   #12
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Racing

Make sure you understand the basics first.

What kind of charger and power supply do you have?
This is very important that you know when and how to charge/discharge your packs. No need frying those new packs right away due to incorrect charging.

Read and Understand your Radios Instructions. Make sure you have your radio trimmed correctly to your car and the track. Know the subtle adjustments you can make with your radio.

Make sure you have the correct crystals in your transmitter and receiver.
Nothing sucks worse than glitching.
mike fleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 03:29 PM   #13
Tech Master

ice charger and ill be running spectrum. the charger and the radio wont really be the problem. getting good batteries is more of the problem. right now im trying to find some for sale that i can afford with the other things im thinking about. instead of all 8 motors at once the lhs owner is going to sell me 2 now and hold the rest. so there is an extra pack. gunna give me a deal on batteries if i cant find any i want this weekend. i also have a lot of 1/18th batteries i might trade him towards something.
thanks guys for the advise. its helping me get my head straight. and get the truck and buggy ready.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:22 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

How do you think a Duratrax Digital Piranha charger and 7 cell GP3300 and Venom 3600 6 cell would do for racing? I just got a Trinity P2K2 Pro 27t stock motor with the comm just cut and rebuilt and will be running in the beginner stock 27t class. But LiPo is ok, so will I get blown away? I was thinking no because it is a beginner class, but what ar your opinions?

BTW I have a JR XR2i radio and R125 receiver. It came with my xxx-nt. So is that a good radio to race with?

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:10 PM   #15
Tech Master

thanks for the help everybody. i got tq and 1st place with the xxx t. and with the slider, but that was on the oval. first time on dirt with the slider, and first time on a track with a 10th scale.
anyway, thanks for the info.