R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 06-27-2008, 11:56 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Default Off-Road Tuning Secrets

What are some Off-Road Tuning Secrets that you have heard of at the track that you have not read about in RC Magazines or instruction manuals?
haulin79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:29 PM   #2
Suspended

Thumbs up AE.......................IS THE KILLER OF ALL!

First of all it helps to have a championship proven ride such as a "B4"!

Second track time and practice helps a lot!

Third find out what the fast guys at your track are doing and!

Fourth tires and shock packages really make a difference!

Fifth drive according to track conditions sometimes slower is faster!
-------------------------
losidriver70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:01 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I dont know about secrets but how about advice.

Write down your set up on a card, note book or set up sheet from your manafactures web site.

Note the position of the shocks, inner hole or outer hole mount top and bottom.

Note the color or rate of the front and rear springs.

Note the oil weight front and rear.

Note the type of tires that your using front and back and the condition of them. New, worn ect...

Note the condition of the track. Smooth, rough, dry, wet, dusty.

Note the pinion gear size that you are using and the engine size in turns. 19t, 17t, ect.

After you write this down, go to the track and write what you like about the car and what you didnt like about it.

Liked the way it jumps, level in the air, lands smoots.

Didnt like the way it handles the bumps and turns.

Then adjust one thing at at a time, untill the buggy acts how you want it to.

Make a note on a new card of what you changed and how you like or dislike what that change did. Note that it improved turning but took away from jumping, ect.

This way you can get your car dialed in and have a record of what works and what dosnt work. Also this is good if the track changes of if you go to a different track. You will have the set ups already written down for different track conditions and it will be much easier to reference an old set up that worked properly than trying to start from sctatch each time.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:08 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Don't know if this will help or not, but here is what I did for the first 2 years of racing:

1) Get a consistent setup on your vehicle. Practice practice practice

2) Run the tire/foam combo that the fast guys tell you to.

3) If you own an AE vehicle, rebuild/service your shocks every 2 weeks at the minimum.

4) After you gain some experience, start trying different things on your setup and see if you like it or not.

5) Practice practice practice

6) Again, after you gain some confidence/experience try running a modified class instead of stock.
NOT a member of Team Terribles!
d4man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:31 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

While we're on this topic, I've got a question... What type of tires would you guys use for a 1/10 electric truck on a hard clay indoor track that's dusty?
beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:20 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A lot of guys run Losi Taper Pins if you don't mind replacing your tires often. If you want something good, but lasts longer then the Panther Switch "Clay" is a great choice. Also, most any tire needs better foams than come with them. Ask around at your local track what foams to run.
GO-RIDE.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:39 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks for the reply. That's completely consistent with what I've experienced so far. I tried some taper pins and they died way too fast, so I switched to the Panther Switch and they seem to last longer, but I've only used stock foams.
beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:45 PM   #8

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

scarlet BE tuning guide

R
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 05:48 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4man View Post
3) If you own an AE vehicle, rebuild/service your shocks every 2 weeks at the minimum.
Dang! They only last two weeks? How many days of racing/practicing is that, approximately?
Old 06-27-2008, 08:30 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchy View Post
Dang! They only last two weeks? How many days of racing/practicing is that, approximately?
Thats not true. I have owned associated buggies since the earily 90's and there shocks have not changed any because they work well.

On my bashers I rebuild them when they leak, which is not that often.

On the b44 that I race, I change the front fluid only, which is not a rebuild, about once a month, which for me equals 2 complete race days and between 4 to 6 practice days. The rears I do a fluid change about every 2 months.

I change them that often because I am a little obsessive compulsive and enjoy working on the car. If I wasnt obsessive compulsive, I wouldnt do it that often.

Just my .o2
Old 06-27-2008, 08:47 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ChrisWolfson Send a message via Yahoo to ChrisWolfson Send a message via Skype™ to ChrisWolfson

Tires, tires, tires....
Old 06-27-2008, 09:01 PM   #12
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG RC 10T View Post
I dont know about secrets but how about advice.

Write down your set up on a card, note book or set up sheet from your manafactures web site.

Note the position of the shocks, inner hole or outer hole mount top and bottom.

Note the color or rate of the front and rear springs.

Note the oil weight front and rear.

Note the type of tires that your using front and back and the condition of them. New, worn ect...

Note the condition of the track. Smooth, rough, dry, wet, dusty.

Note the pinion gear size that you are using and the engine size in turns. 19t, 17t, ect.

After you write this down, go to the track and write what you like about the car and what you didnt like about it.

Liked the way it jumps, level in the air, lands smoots.

Didnt like the way it handles the bumps and turns.

Then adjust one thing at at a time, untill the buggy acts how you want it to.

Make a note on a new card of what you changed and how you like or dislike what that change did. Note that it improved turning but took away from jumping, ect.

This way you can get your car dialed in and have a record of what works and what dosnt work. Also this is good if the track changes of if you go to a different track. You will have the set ups already written down for different track conditions and it will be much easier to reference an old set up that worked properly than trying to start from sctatch each time.
+ 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by haulin79 View Post
What are some Off-Road Tuning Secrets that you have heard of at the track that you have not read about in RC Magazines or instruction manuals?
it's my opinion that asking people here you're more liable to get a mixed bag of uselessness than you're able to get anything worthwhile.
so much of setting up a car has to do with individual tracks and surfaces that can change from day to day, and when you factor in driver skill and driving styles the chance of garnering anything usefull here is next to impossible.
and when you factor in that there are so many bench racer internet lurkers out there that give a lot of advice but have little or no race experience it would be my advice for you to use the forms OG RC 10T gave you above and learn things on your own. otherwise do your own research and don't expect others to do it for you.

good luck and keep it fun
oldschoolracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:04 PM   #13
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OG RC 10T View Post
Thats not true. I have owned associated buggies since the earily 90's and there shocks have not changed any because they work well.

On my bashers I rebuild them when they leak, which is not that often.

On the b44 that I race, I change the front fluid only, which is not a rebuild, about once a month, which for me equals 2 complete race days and between 4 to 6 practice days. The rears I do a fluid change about every 2 months.

I change them that often because I am a little obsessive compulsive and enjoy working on the car. If I wasnt obsessive compulsive, I wouldnt do it that often.

Just my .o2
OG RC 10T you're wasting your breath on a basher
oldschoolracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:30 PM   #14
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to cmain

this is a link to a thread about tips I like to bring back every year around the start of the winter season
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=185927
cmain is offline   Reply With Quote