Wiki Posts
Search

Evader vs Slash

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 10:35 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Evader vs Slash

Hello All,

I have been watching these forums for quite some time to get ideas and such but this is my first post.

I have a Duratrax Evader ST which I have had for a few years now. I mainly use this for backyard bashing. My brother inlaw recently got the new Traxxas Slash, wow that thing is fast. We were doing some racing and his car was so much faster than mine at full throttle. We are both running the stock motors which came with the cars. (His is a 12T, mine is a 20T)

I am also running a 3000 MAH NiMH battery, I am looking to buy a new motor to make my car as fast if not faster than his. But at the same time I don't want to go broke. I was thinking of getting this motor: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMDY8&P=7

Would this put me on the same playing field? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!
Old 06-24-2008, 10:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Don't forget that the Slash has a 550 can size motor and the Evader a 540 (smaller). I did not have good experience with the Komodo. I went through a set of brushes every week I raced the motor.

A Checkpoint 19 Turn Money motor is fast, needs less tear downs, and would be a better choice IMO.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I'd say a quality 16-turn or lower (properly geared) would make you faster. I'm not certain any higher than that would get you where you want to be.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:06 PM
Tech Rookie

The only downside to going with a 16turn or lower motor is that I would need to get a new ESC since the Duratrax ESC is only capable of 17t and up... What would be a good recommendation for a ESC and motor combo that would give the speed wanted and be cost effective?
Old 06-24-2008, 12:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I know it's more than you wanted to spend, but I'd suggest a sidewinder/5700. For about $150, you'll blow him away and virtually no maintenance.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

MY son has that motor and has never had a problem with it. . It is considerably faster than the 20t that came with the evader and seems to have the same run time.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:32 PM
Tech Rookie

Thats a Brushless, right? My only concern with that would be the Tranny.. I think the gears are Nylon and I can find metal gears anywhere to upgrade the Tranny.... Anyone know where I can find metal Tranny gears?
Old 06-24-2008, 02:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

You will not need to upgrade the tranny with a brushless systm.

I have the Komodo Dragon 19t motor and have nothing but great things to say about it. I have been running the stock bruches for about 6 months bashing and it has been to the track a couple of times as well.

The difference between the Komodo Dragon Spec 19t and the Pro will not be noticeable bashing. If you were a good driver and you were racing then get the pro, because at times that little advantage will help.

Seriously though buy the spec, and save some money. Your said your on a budget and if your not racing, why spend the extra money.

As for the check point motor. Its a great motor, hands down but your not racing it.

The next couple things you should be looking at, after the motor, is upgrade your esc, it will make a difference. Then lastly when you can, get a newer, higher mah battery.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OG RC 10T

The next couple things you should be looking at, after the motor, is upgrade your esc, it will make a difference. Then lastly when you can, get a newer, higher mah battery.
I'd decide on the whole combo first. If you upgrade your motor now, then then ESC, you might decide you should've bought more motor.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Get the 19turn and save for a Lipo you will have a blast.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:54 AM
Tech Rookie

I think I will go with the 19T Komodo motor and look into a DTX4200 NiMH battery.

Another question, I have been tossing around racing my evader, What else would I need or need to know in order to race at the local track.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

TIRES,TIRES,TIRES
Find out what the fast guys are running and get some tires. You will have to run in the Mod class if you get the 19t motor. If your track has a stock class you may look into a 27t motor. You will need 2 good batteries at a minimum. I recomend 3, but for the price of 3 you could get a lipo and you only need one lipo. Go talk to some guys at your local track and find out what class you want to run. then you can make your decision on what motor and battery to buy.

have fun
Old 06-25-2008, 11:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Tires would be about it. You can race any thing the way it is, but dont use your old bashing tires because you will not get any traction.

After you do a couple of laps you may want to adjust your suspension to the track. Ask someone locally how they have there suspention set up, and try to adjust yours accordingly.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Agreed - the Evader is a great basher and should be raceable in stock trim as long as you have the right tires and keep the shocks filled.
Any 19T motor with a 4200 pack will be a noticeable improvement over the photon speed motor.
Here's what we learned racing Evaders:
You won't need metal tranny gears but DO replace both plastic gears at the same time every time you rebuild. It also helps to run the slipper on the looser side to preserve the tranny when landing off bigger jumps. Stock setup seems to be a little nose heavy and you'll need to stay on the throttle in the air, which causes the tires to spin faster than the truck is going. This shocks the tranny hard when you land and the tires have to suddenly return to normal speed. Let the slipper absorb that shock and it'll last a lot longer. Stiffer oil in the front (35) will help the jumping noticeabley but may cost you some steering.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:31 PM
Tech Rookie

Great Tips guys! I do actually have a set of 4 Dirt Hawg Tires from Proline, are those a decent tire for racing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.