R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 06-21-2008, 07:30 AM   #16
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I picked up two 6000 mah maxamp batteries. Seem to be a well-liked battery. I'm also in the process of picking up to Duramax Ice chargers. Looks like I can get two of them for about $150, so I'm happy where I'm at cash-wise so far.

I know I need to get a power supply. Can I get one to run both chargers, or does each charger need one of its own? What should I be looking for in a power supply? Also, what about a balancer? Do I need one for each charger, or will one work for both batteries? From what I'm gathering the batteries don't need to be balanced on every charge?
tekcor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 07:36 AM   #17
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

here r some cheap power supplys
http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/batter...r-c-52_54.html
rjs_13203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 07:40 AM   #18
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

or u can buy this charger it charges and balances 2 packs at once alittle pricey though
http://www.maxamps.com/EOS0610i-DUO.htm
rjs_13203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 10:07 AM   #19
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Has anyone used this?

Duratrax Onyx 230

Small, AC/DC, Lipo/Nimh, 7 amp, and cheap. Looks pretty good.
RodneyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 06:14 AM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

If you get the ICE chargers you will still need to buy a balancer.

I have the Hyperion EOS 0610i Duo charger and it ROCKS! Yes it is $270 but it will balance charge two packs at the same time up to 180 watts per channel. When you start getting into the larger 3S or 4S high capacity packs you need to look at the maximum output otherwise the charger may not be capable of charging the packs at 1C (or higher) and you'll be sitting around forever waiting to charge your batteries.

Tonys Screws LLC
http://www.tonysscrews.com
High Grade Alloy Steel Screws, Screw Kits and Mugen Parts
TonysScrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:49 PM   #21
Tech Rookie

Default Chargers an LiPo

Sir,

Sorry for the long post; there's just a lot of info.

I would like to interject a bit on this thread and correct several significant factual errors. I have 2 young boys and face many of the same predicaments. We also fly, and many times we aren't in the same place; we've accumulated several good chargers over the past few years.

I also have a 0610i Duo and it is simply the best for Lithium Polymer. It is also above average for NiMh, though discahrging isn't available, at least in the traditional sense. It requires a decent and beefy power supply, but for me, it was well worth the money. Fot 2 batteries at once, it stands alone.

All that said, we have a slew of other chargers as well, and most have served us well. The MRC 977 DOES properly charge LiPo batteries, as is stated clearly on the packaging and in the manual. It does NOT include a balancer, which I consider absolutely necessary, but a Astro Blinky or Common Sense Balance Pro work just fine with it. It is limited to 2.5A charge rates, which means that with most of the common LiPo's such as yours, it may take 2-3 times as long to charge. We have done hundreds of charges with it and LiPo's with excellent results, just follow the instructions, which should be done with EVERY charger!

The ICE and the MRC SuperBrain 989 chargers we have also do not balance, but the same external balancers work just fine. They are indeed excellent chargers, though neither would be my first choice for LiPo's. But the 977, ICE and 989 are our chargers of choice for NiMh, and we still run lots of these cells, and the 977 is the most bang for the buck with 2 channels.

That honor, in lieu of the 0610Duo, would belong to the 0606i DC Only, which I carry with my everywhere, quite literally. It's small, has the same features as the 610 at lower, but still excellent charge rates, and is one channel. It's was about $100 at my local store. Buy an MRC 10A ($45) or Propeak 20A ($60) power supply, or charge directly from your car battery and it is superb.
We've also had Thunder Power (610C, 6010) and Bantam (BC6, BC8) chargers we've been quite happy with for LiPo, but we've "moved" up to the Hyperion's for everything and don't regret it one bit.

Keep in mind that using an external balancer does add time (5-20%, as we have tested) but is otherwise equivalent to a dedicated balance charger.

We've had good luck with the MaxAmps packs, but I prefer hard shells, such as the Reedy and TrakPower for safety reasons. I only allow my boys to charge or run the hard shell packs. Hardened packs may be available from MaxAmps; I haven't looked in quite a while.

We know plenty of people that are very happy with their chargers; my best advice is buy the best you can afford, and stick to the well-respected brands such as MRC, The ICE (which is also the Triton 2 and very nearly the Team CheckPoint 1030), Thunder Power, Hyperion and Bantam. I don't know anyone unhappy with their products and their support.

Good Luck and Enjoy!
JT
gtboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:57 PM   #22
Tech Rookie

Default MRC Charger comments

Oops, missed one comment. The Orion manual specifically mentions the 959 and 969 chargers, which have never advertised LiPo compatibility. According to Orion, they are mentioned by named because of tehir enormous popularity. They have no issues with either the 977 or the 989, which is good, because some of their drivers (whom we've met) use the 989's.

Also worth noting is theta the Orions CANNOT be balanced, as they have no balance connector. This is the sole reason I don't purchase them. I know many guys running them with great results, thiugh they seem to take much longer to charge than either our Reedy's or TrakPower's. I've read many posts saying the same.

Thanks!
Old 06-26-2008, 01:01 PM   #23
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtboys View Post

Also worth noting is theta the Orions CANNOT be balanced, as they have no balance connector. This is the sole reason I don't purchase them. I know many guys running them with great results, thiugh they seem to take much longer to charge than either our Reedy's or TrakPower's. I've read many posts saying the same.

Thanks!
You are wrong. They have balance ports. It's a 2mm hole for a bullet connector. I balance mine every month or 2.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:08 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB FIVE View Post
You are wrong. They have balance ports. It's a 2mm hole for a bullet connector. I balance mine every month or 2.
Yeah, get your facts straight before you go around spouting off misinformation.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:15 PM   #25
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Go with the DAWG, he always does me and the guys at the track right. BulldawgRC.com

http://www.BulldawgRC.com
rcflgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 02:23 PM   #26
Tech Elite

This is everything you will need, http://www.maxamps.com/EREVOARTRKIT-6000-74.htm

ARCS Hobbies / Paint Monster Airbrushing / BFast / Tonys Screws
badassrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:07 AM   #27
Tech Rookie

Default Orions

I have 2 Orion older 4800's that have NO balance port on them. I did check their web site; it says that current packs DO have a balance tap on them. I checked with my LHS and they happen to have several, with and 1 without the 2mm balance port, in stock. Not sure when they were changed, but very happy to see that they were. Charging without balancing presents too many potential safety issues.

No need to flame, we try to present as much info as we have, and this is what I have.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:25 AM   #28
Tech Adept

Appreciate everyone's advice/suggestions. I ended up picking up two used Ice chargers for $155 shipped. Also got a new 30 amp power supply for $60. As soon as that stuff shows up, I'll get a blinky from the LHS, and I should be set.

I contemplated the hyperion charger, but I figure this way, if one charger goes out I can still charge.

Right now I'm running my VLX rustler on some 10 year old battery packs that I had from my original rusty in college! It's screaming fast on those packs, so I can't wait until my lipos show up!
tekcor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:32 AM   #29
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtboys View Post
I have 2 Orion older 4800's that have NO balance port on them. I did check their web site; it says that current packs DO have a balance tap on them. I checked with my LHS and they happen to have several, with and 1 without the 2mm balance port, in stock. Not sure when they were changed, but very happy to see that they were. Charging without balancing presents too many potential safety issues.

No need to flame, we try to present as much info as we have, and this is what I have.
Where did you get those batteries from? I bought the platinums almost the day they came out and they had balance ports of course. Since then I've built up to 8 of them bought at various times from various sources and they all had taps. Can you post a pic of the back particularly the back where the balance tap is on every platinum I've ever seen?

EDIT: the first reference I could find to the balance port is here in the old Platinum thread: http://www.rctech.net/forum/showpost...&postcount=285

The post was made almost 2 1/2 years ago...on another note, I just realized after reading that thread that I've had my first 2 platinums for over 2 years now and they are still running strong.

Last edited by kuzo; 06-28-2008 at 11:50 AM.
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote