R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 06-18-2008, 03:05 PM   #31
Suspended

I guess since someone will always come up with a way they supposedly can make their car run all day, or seemingly so, it only makes sense to keep electric racing as it always has been - sprint racing.
And let all the "I wanna run a long time and wear stuff out" guys go back to running nitro.
oldschoolracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:26 PM   #32
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

If i go all the way to texas i want to make it worth it.In october at thunderalley in beaumont california we are going to have a 3 hour endurance race.Last year i ran nitro in the truggy class and ended up wining sportsman class and got 3rd overall.This year we are going to run electric 1/8th scale i cant wait.A Lot of fun.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:10 PM   #33
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

If the concern is the amount of race time you get, its not like you can do either more heats, or triple mains, etc. With a 10 to 15min runtime, recharge time should easily fall within the timeframe of the races, etc, all on one pack.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:18 PM   #34
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

more than likely there will not even be a A or B main.It will be one main at this race there just isnt enough E 1/8 scale yet So there is no need to run triple mains or more qualfiers. Like he said it is a exhibition race.i have already been in a few of these here on the west coast and we did 20 minute mains.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:47 PM   #35
Tech Master

I am sorry guys but on a nationwide basis small scale off road racing is dying and I don't know if you guys noticed the majority of RC off road racers want longer races. This class needs to move away from the old school electric and appeal to what the majority wants which is longer races and runtimes to appeal to the nitro crowd as a low maintence, clean, non-stop, no pit man, no tuning alternative.

A 20 minute main will be a good start towards that future and should be no problem to get 20 minutes with today's technology without a battery change!!!

I am going to race 45 minutes without a battery change with 2wd 1/10th scale truck in Texas that I am already doing 30 minute races with plenty of battery left and don't see any problem with 20 minutes in a 1/8th scale Electric Buggy without a battery change.
Craps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:13 PM   #36
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

Craps: 20 minutes is possible, but at the same time, its not as consistent to get there.

As for people wanting long runtimes, sure, but that is relative to what they are seeing currently with electric mains. with 15 minutes, that three times as long, and doesn't break the bank for battery either.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:55 AM   #37
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Craps: 20 minutes is possible, but at the same time, its not as consistent to get there.

As for people wanting long runtimes, sure, but that is relative to what they are seeing currently with electric mains. with 15 minutes, that three times as long, and doesn't break the bank for battery either.

i agree with the breaking the bank part. 15 min is good for now in my opinion
Old 06-19-2008, 08:47 AM   #38
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Not trying to beat a dead horse here, but 1/10 electric is not the same as 1/8 electric. It ain't even close. Just because people have longer mains in 1/10 does not mean they are going to apply to 1/8.

Running 20 minutes or 30 minutes in a 1/10 is nothing like running 20 minutes in a 1/8. The technology for 1/8 electric has improved and it is close but it is not there yet for 1/8 scale electrics to reliably run 20 minutes regardless of track conditions and esc/motor setup. Most of the guys I know with race spec 1/8's loaded up with high dollar Neu motors, ESCs, etc still have to constantly watch temps and battery drain because the voltage/amps required of these setups is immensely more demanding than 1/10.

It is possible to run 20 minutes, even 25 minutes but it CANNOT BE DONE CONSISTENTLY without having a low KV/high voltage set up which means spending a ton of money on 5s & 6s batteries. This is why shorter mains are necessary. Simply going from a high grip track to a somewhat loose track with a lot of wheel spin could drop your runtime 10 minutes. As I mentioned, I can run 30 minutes on one track and can't get 20 minutes on another with the same setup simply because the track conditions changed.

The rules have to be set so that Joe Racer doesn't have to buy five different motor and battery combos just so he can be sure to get 20 minutes regardless of the track he is visiting.

The main runtime has to be achievable if Joe Racer is running a $60 dollar feiago and a $70 zippy lipo or a $250 Neu motor with a $250 Flightpower lipo. Requiring longer mains will raise cost and turn away people.

As the technology and more importantly, the reliability of the ESC and motors improves, we can start exploring longer mains. But right now, we need to focus on just showcasing the cars superior performance over the nitros in 15 minute or less mains. Clearing 30-40 foot triples with seven feet of run up and blistering acceleration will more than make up for not running a 30 minute main in most people's eyes.

Sponsors: Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and my wife's bank account.
Edumakated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:11 AM   #39
Tech Initiate

here here!! i'll second that
Old 06-19-2008, 09:29 AM   #40
Tech Initiate

[QUOTE
As the technology and more importantly, the reliability of the ESC and motors improves, we can start exploring longer mains. But right now, we need to focus on just showcasing the cars superior performance over the nitros in 15 minute or less mains. Clearing 30-40 foot triples with seven feet of run up and blistering acceleration will more than make up for not running a 30 minute main in most people's eyes.[/QUOTE]

perfectly said. i third that

http://glenwoodrc.com/

Kyosho RB5 | ZX5 SP | HYPER 8
Zeke17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:41 AM   #41
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edumakated View Post
As the technology and more importantly, the reliability of the ESC and motors improves, we can start exploring longer mains. But right now, we need to focus on just showcasing the cars superior performance over the nitros in 15 minute or less mains. Clearing 30-40 foot triples with seven feet of run up and blistering acceleration will more than make up for not running a 30 minute main in most people's eyes.
+1 as well. IMO, any main over 15 min is no longer about racing, just survival, and making laps. When half the nitro's can't finish a 20+ min main, and the leader has 3 laps on the field, how can you still call it racing? I ran a 15 min main at Oak Hill, and myself and another racer battled to the very end, and the race was decided by 0.02 sec. Now that's f***ing racing!
Serpent S411 Eryx 4.0 USGT
Team Serpent America and Desoto Racing
Stealth_RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 12:38 PM   #42
Tech Addict

I guess I'll try to make my last comment about the 20+ minutes without the battery change.

A very good analogy that I heard was a nitro race with no pitting and fuel tanks that get from 5 to 6 minutes on a fuel tank and telling them they have to run a 6 minute and 15 second race...GOOD LUCK. Even hardcore nitro guys get this.

The 15 minutes for the people that have been racing these for at least a couple or 3 years, not bashing, makes perfect sense. NO pitman.

I guess we all like open discussion and I try not to get people offended by what I write.
Schmutz ist für den Rennsport, asphalt ist für die Anreise
lxmuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 12:45 PM   #43
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

20 minutes would have to be the cap. 15 minutes is more reasonable and makes more sense IMO.

I personally think keeping the battery swap thing out of the mix is a good idea. Just a recipie for disaster. Have to have a pit man working on the car halfway through the race is not apealing. Escpecially since it would probably be a nitro guy who knows nothing about it cuz all of the electric guys will be on the track.

I say stay within the limits like many have said. Its an exibition class at this point. I say do what ever is possible to make the class look good. Not like bunch of hacks who cant finish the race cuz thier battery dumped.

I would be interested in making the trip, but really would have to see once it gets closer. A 4 day trip to Texas for a race my be difficult to manage, but I certainly would love to do it if its possible.
jhautz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:05 PM   #44
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

15 minutes would be about perfect. If we did 3 qualifiers and 2 15 minute MX style heats it could work out great and everyone would have plenty of track time.
Racerx336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 04:19 AM   #45
Tech Master

Everybody posting here on this thread!

Are you just posting or actually planning to go to Texas in November if the class is added????

I am trying get a rough idea of how many may be there to race in this class?
Craps is offline   Reply With Quote