R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 06-18-2008, 06:26 AM   #16
Tech Master

I had one of the first electric 1/8th scale buggies in the country 4 years ago that I went through ESCs and li-po batteries that have advanced alot since then. Don't believe it, go to RCZone and search back in the Brushless Forum for my Electric 1/8th scale buggy thread there that was started in 2004.

I had a Mugen MBXR-4 back then with a Schulze 40.160 ESC (huge ESC) and a Hacker C50-10XL (big motor) with 2 TP8000-3S4Ps hooked together in series to make it 6S that was way overkill in the power department!!! Wicked Fast! Could not keep diffs and pinion gears on it.

20 minute main should be no problem for most that make the trip to Texas in November!

Anybody else seriously interested?
Craps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:35 AM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I feel that having any main that requires a battery swap is going to be a disaster. this is what is going to happen.
guys are going to make quick change batt trays that will greatly increase the chances of packs flying out and causing FIRES. other guys will have secure trays and will suffer from longer stops.
this class dosent need long mains to make it prosper. 15 to 20 minutes max for now and in the future if the battery and or motor tecnology allows for safe mains that can maybee go 20 to 25 then so be it.
the last thing this class needs is to make the cars more prone to breaking down and not to mention the need for more packs and a pitman to boot.

if only there was a class where you could run 40 to 60 minute mains, have a need to find a pit guy, have your cars fail because of mechanical issues.... oh yeah there is it is called NITRO.
kvrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:47 AM   #18
Tech Master

20 minute main should be it!

RC Pro is going to see how the schedule will work out to add this class as an exhibition during the 3 day race schedule Thursday (11/6), Friday (11/7) and Saturday (11/8)! There will be practice days on Tuesday (11/4) and Wednesday (11/5)!

RC Pro Series National
Diamond W Arena
Alvarado, TX

Let's hope they can schedule the race!

Anybody else interested in this race?
Craps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:58 AM   #19
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Why not do two or three mains? Like the 1/10 electrics? You could do two 15 minute mains or 3 three 10 minute mains.
nik77356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:19 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Anybody want to fly me to Texas? it would be fun, but a little out of my economic reach.

ARCS Hobbies / Paint Monster Airbrushing / BFast / Tonys Screws
badassrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:35 AM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default My 2 cents

I try let you guys talk these out some before I chime in.....but I want to jump in in the beginning of this.

I have said this over and over and over....I just can't seem to get thru.... to some...
Why push it???
LONG races don't accomplish anything in electric racing. EVEN if you have the capabilities for a 20 min main or more... why bother...
VERY few races that long are decided by a photo finish.. or anything even close on ANY level. Even with the pro's. The guy who wins usually laps the field over and over and no one is close to them.
So what if we can run for 20 min.
Why run a race of attrition instead of a race of competition.
20 Min or more mains will become races of attrition and just embarrass this new class. I personally don't have ANY desire to run an electric race that long.
5,8 or 10 min qualifiers. 15 min main max. That is my vote.
Anyone who wants a longer main, in my opinion is still in the Nitro mentality. For Nitro that is great.. pit strategy, getting restarted when you flame out, tire changes... all of that is possible if you have an engine that you can restart.
But with Electric races, we are not going to start bringing soldering irons to the pit lane to try to fix something that went wrong. We don't need, and I personally don't want the hectic, frustrated scenario's in a pit lane associated with long races like the Nitro vehicles have.
With a 10, 12 or 15 min Main, you make a major mistake and you still have time to catch the field and work your way up. Even 15 min is pushing it depending on track conditions and driving style. I don't want to turn down the expo on my radio just so I can make it to the end of a long race. I want to run full bore for a reasonable time and use EVERYTHING my vehicle has to offer to win a race.
I don't want to do a battery change. I want to race with what I have. Especially with the example that example KVRC made and the increase in possible error and hazards.
4S packs are pretty much the standard. Good size that helps keep the car balanced. I have no problem with run what you brung...If someone wants to come with a 12S BRICK in their car and not charge all day long that is up to them.
My vote is this.
7 or 8 min qualifiers
10 min lower mains
15 Minute A Main

My track opens in early November. I would not be able to make it.

But like LXMUFF said. Thanks for trying to get this going. The class is getting a LOT of exposure. RC DRIVER is the magazine that was mentioned.

Dan
DJ1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:44 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Two 15 minute mains would be ideal. Take the combined lowest score between the two. Better yet, three 10 minute mains could be fine too.

Battery swaps are too complicated. When you start running longer than 15 minutes the race gets boring as the field spreads out quite a bit and becomes about attrition (not breaking your car). Besides, most folks cannot run 20 minutes reliably in 1/8s. Almost everyone can run 15 minutes though which si why 10 minute mains would be ideal. Unless you have a crap setup, you can run pretty much any battery/motor combo without a problem.

Sponsors: Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and my wife's bank account.
Edumakated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:04 AM   #23
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Capping the Main race at 15 minutes is the best thing that could be done for this class at this time. It will provide ample opportunity for the fastest racers to be decided.

Anything longer will quite possibly begin to highlight some of the current limitations of the equipment that is available today.

Get off on the right foot instead of having half of the field fail to complete the race.
MustGoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:22 AM   #24
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by badassrevo View Post
Anybody want to fly me to Texas? it would be fun, but a little out of my economic reach.
im with you on that one. fly me out and im in
Old 06-18-2008, 11:27 AM   #25
Tech Initiate

we are running a 1/8th 10 min race this weekend at the Roar Region 1 electric champs.(demonstration race)

i also have seen elec. truck races that go 20 min plus that come down to the last lap. so to say that the race should only be 8 min.especialy at a pro final. sayes nothing more than you are not prepared ( in my opinion)
we run electric races outdoors for 15 min mains every week:

but yes 30 min is a bit to much
Old 06-18-2008, 11:29 AM   #26
Tech Initiate

we will see mustgofaster this weekend for this race. im guning for ya steve
Old 06-18-2008, 11:37 AM   #27
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by badassrevo View Post
It would need to be 15min.
I will just post it again.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:04 PM   #28
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

The standard from my reading was to use the 4S 5000mah packs (PolyQuest style) combined with a MM modified ESC and a Neu motor or something similar.

Based on my reading, guys who were getting say 25 minutes + on these packs and there setups when the track changed significantly didn't make runtime for a 20 minute race. 15 minutes though seem pretty consistent.

Also, there are those who are using hardpack conversions which in general are at 5000mah or less.

Based on this, I would say that the race should be limited to 10 - 15 minute main, and 10 minute heats. Main should be the same regardless of what main you are min.

I wouldn't limit battery configurations, though, I can see limits eventually being from 4S - 6S range. With trakpower having the 3S hardcased packs out that are 25C using two of them would make a very nice efficient setup and long runtimes.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:03 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
The standard from my reading was to use the 4S 5000mah packs (PolyQuest style) combined with a MM modified ESC and a Neu motor or something similar.

Based on my reading, guys who were getting say 25 minutes + on these packs and there setups when the track changed significantly didn't make runtime for a 20 minute race. 15 minutes though seem pretty consistent.

Also, there are those who are using hardpack conversions which in general are at 5000mah or less.

Based on this, I would say that the race should be limited to 10 - 15 minute main, and 10 minute heats. Main should be the same regardless of what main you are min.

I wouldn't limit battery configurations, though, I can see limits eventually being from 4S - 6S range. With trakpower having the 3S hardcased packs out that are 25C using two of them would make a very nice efficient setup and long runtimes.
You bring a very good point. Runtimes vary quite a bit depending on conditions. 1/8 electric IS NOT THE SAME as 1/10 electric. The 1/8's motor are significantly more demanding on equipment and heavier. 20 minutes in a 1/10 is nothing. 20 minutes in a 1/8 is whole different ball game. The only thing that doesn't vary is I can get 15 minutes regardless. However, once you start going above that runtime becomes very inconsistent depending on the track and conditions. For example, I can get half an hour on my local indoor track on a 3s 8000 setup, yet I take that same setup to the outdoor track and 20 minutes is pushing it.

Mains need to be a length that balances runtime, attrition, driver endurance, and is reasonable for ANY SET UP that someone chooses to run. 15 minute mains accomplish this...

I don't want a class where people have to spend a ton of money so they can by a 1500kv motor and a 6s 8000 battery just so we can run 30 minutes. Things need to be setup so Joe Racer can easily get a car that can handle the required runtimes on any track and under any conditions regardless if they are running 3s, 4s, 5s, 6s and reasonable KV motors.

Sponsors: Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and my wife's bank account.

Last edited by Edumakated; 06-18-2008 at 03:14 PM.
Edumakated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 01:36 PM   #30
Tech Elite

+1