R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 06-19-2008, 12:13 PM   #91
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
Here's an idea...why don't you come out to a track and watch people race Slash trucks and see what they're about. Then you'd be able to make some rules that make sense. We had 10-12 of them out last night and I wouldn't doubt that we'll have two heats on Saturday.

Oh...BTW. "oldschoolracer" = "e-thug". Aside from the lack of physical threats, he's pretty much a classic keyboard hero. That's why I (and I bet half the people on the Slash thread) have him on "Ignore" at this point.

You're right about ME not complaining as much in person, because if you take it upon yourself to make some stupid rules that ban me because I bought aluminum shock caps or run Lipos...I'm just not going to spend the money to drive out to your track. I actually live in SoCal, I actually have a Slash with stock electronics and I actually race it. If you wanna see how a real "fun" class is run, come out to Pegasus and race with us.

If you want a "tear off the wrapper and race it" class...have Robert buy some trucks and batteries for the track and have people race those. That's the ONLY way you're gonna keep them bone stock. It'll be like one of those indoor carting places, you get what you get. Racers tune on their stuff. That's what they do.
Oh please. Please dial down the snarkiness and pull up your training pants.
oldschoolracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 12:15 PM   #92
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Some people get too wrapped up in making rules for a "fun" class. When there's money on the line, you need solid rules.

When you get too picayune about rules for a "fun" class where there's not supposed to be anything at stake, people forget that it's supposed to be a "fun" class. I don't give a crap if someone has a better battery than I do, I'd rather have them THERE racing than turn them away. I want MORE people racing (and having "fun"), not less.

If I have to choose between "rules" and "fun", I choose "fun". I would rather get beat by a noob with a 3-cell Lipo than turn him away. If it happens a few times in a row...and he doesn't take the batteries that everybody will inevitably try to loan/give him...only then is it a problem. Not before.

Why does everybody assume the worst about their friends and the people they race with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspeed View Post
All this "Spec VS. Non-Spec" is the same thing we're dealing with in on-road with the Kyosho Infeno GT cars.

Some just don't like the idea of an economical R/C racing class centered around 1 product or they don't like rules.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 12:17 PM   #93
Suspended

Quote:
I told you not to be a hair-splitting a-hole. If you've already decided to be one...then that's on you...LOL Banning people for using a lower-voltage battery IS stupid.
The only thing that's STUPID is making up rules to suit your purposes, and purchases, and expecting or demanding everyone follow them.

You need to open your own track and stop trying to shove your ideas down everyone's throats, because you're exactly the type that ruins all racing and all classes - because you ain't happy unless it's done your way.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:18 PM   #94
Suspended

Quote:
Some people get too wrapped up in making rules for a "fun" class.
Racing might be fun to a lot of people, including myself, but what's not fun is getting outspent and thus outrun - plain and simple - but racing is about winning, or trying to, and if you want to keep it as a fun class then you need to bring your buddies to practice night when racing has little to do with anything.

Quote:
When there's money on the line, you need solid rules.
there IS money on the line when you're for all intents and purposes shoving the idea down people's throats that they HAVE to buy a $129.99 battery pack to be competitive (or at least feel as if they are)..........
Old 06-19-2008, 01:00 PM   #95
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolracer View Post
Racing might be fun to a lot of people, including myself, but what's not fun is getting outspent and thus outrun - plain and simple - but racing is about winning, or trying to, and if you want to keep it as a fun class then you need to bring your buddies to practice night when racing has little to do with anything.

there IS money on the line when you're for all intents and purposes shoving the idea down people's throats that they HAVE to buy a $129.99 battery pack to be competitive (or at least feel as if they are)..........
You still dont understand do you.......

Speedtechrc.com / Team Orion USA / Airtronics / Proline / Bartalone Racing / rcinsider.com / 818Designs
What up? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:11 PM   #96
Tech Elite

Hey guys...LOL

a) Click on his profile.

b) Click on "Add oldschoolracer to your Ignore List"

c) Enjoy the peace and quiet. It's like a cool breeze on a summer day.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:12 PM   #97
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by What up? View Post
You still dont understand do you.......

Don't pay attention to Oldschooler. All you have to do is to read his post history to understand that he/she will not get it or unwilling to since he/she gets a kick out of all this.......

As far as I'm concerned I will race where it is practical for me and that means running the truck stock with the allowance of Lipo since I'm done with NIMH...

When the class grows then I will hope that there will be another class with some mods allowed but for now I'm just glad that the rules are practical for us locally to have fun....
Old 06-19-2008, 01:13 PM   #98
Suspended

Quote:
Hey guys...LOL

a) Click on his profile.

b) Click on "Add oldschoolracer to your Ignore List"

c) Enjoy the peace and quiet. It's like a cool breeze on a summer day.

you appeared to be blowing as much smoke as he was, maybe more
RocketRob40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:18 PM   #99
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRob40 View Post
you appeared to be blowing as much smoke as he was, maybe more
Feel free to ignore me as well then.

FYI -- This is a thread for a local track. I don't believe he's local to this area...and from what he says, he has no intention of racing there or anywhere else with his Slash.

We're trying to build a fun class around here and I don't think I'm out of line to put in my .02. Besides...he's a dick.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:26 PM   #100
Suspended

Quote:
Feel free to ignore me as well then.

FYI -- This is a thread for a local track. I don't believe he's local to this area...and from what he says, he has no intention of racing there or anywhere else with his Slash.

We're trying to build a fun class around here and I don't think I'm out of line to put in my .02. Besides...he's a dick.
It looks to me like this thread is in the General Forums, Electric Off-road section so that leaves it open to anyone. Reading this one and the other thread it sounded to me like he already has raced his while the rest of you are just trying to get started. There's nothing wrong with adding your .02 as long as you tolerate someone else's .02. Saying he's a dick, makes you an expert on that subject too? lol
RocketRob40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:27 PM   #101
Tech Regular

I don't race at OC/RC so excuse me for butting in but I just have to reply to what Oldschool is saying.

I have been in a club racing some sort of spec for the last 10+ years and have been through all of these arguments.

The first problem is that racers that can't win regular classes come to spec classes thinking that will help them and it is just not the case. The best drivers still come out on top.

The other problem comes with limiting the cost. It does help cost when there are very few hop-ups or changes legal to make but when it comes to electric RC racing there are always guys that will figure out how to get more power out of any motor or battery.

Most spec classes we ran have used the trinity spec motor and spec battery.
In time guys have figured out how to get 20%+ more power out of the motor with spec brushes and they figured out that discharging about 20% out of the battery and imidiatly repeaking at 8-10amps makes the batteries come alive.

Hard to stop someone from doing either but it forces others to to compete and you are replacing batts everyother week.

Lipo's have helped that a lot as there is not much past warming them up to help voltage. There is a variance between packs but many clubs have settled on the orion 3200mah as a spec pack.

Now oldschool has posted many times how allowing lipos is starting down some slippery slope were we all end up with $1000 slashes but that is up to the local club or track to enforce rules and keep that from happening. All race classes have rules, spec is no different just tighter. He also talkes about making a racer spend $129 on a lipo. I for one have found some cheaper packs.

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/produc...Racing-3200Mah

You can get 2 of these shpped for less than $83.

Now directly at Oldschool, you are never going to make freinds or get anyone to see your side, When all you do is rant and insult everyone for not being as smart and cool as you. You say you have had a slash for months and done tons of changes and hop-ups but you don't talk about what changes worked and what didn't you just put down others ideas.

Lockhart
Stallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:43 PM   #102
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketRob40 View Post
It looks to me like this thread is in the General Forums, Electric Off-road section so that leaves it open to anyone. Reading this one and the other thread it sounded to me like he already has raced his while the rest of you are just trying to get started. There's nothing wrong with adding your .02 as long as you tolerate someone else's .02. Saying he's a dick, makes you an expert on that subject too? lol
I'm not saying I'm never a dick...but I'm not really a dick.

BTW -- He's posting in a thread called "Traxxas Slash Spec Class at OC/RC". Of course he has a right to read it or post in it...but what happens at this track doesn't concern him at all. It does concern us here in SoCal.

We want another place to run our trucks and have a good time -- and I want to do what I can to try and keep this stuff within the bounds of reason...so we can all have a chance to run there and have fun.

He IS kindof a dick though...isn't he??? Come on...admit it...let it out.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:03 PM   #103
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JDCrow Send a message via Skype™ to JDCrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolracer View Post
Oh please. Please dial down the snarkiness and pull up your training pants.
I am having Mastercard Flashbacks!!!!!!!

Traxxas Slash Race Truck Ready to Race........$199
Orion Lipo Battery Pack...............................$67
Being told your snarki by someone with a "Sarcasm for Free" Avatar......Priceless

Last edited by JDCrow; 06-19-2008 at 03:07 PM.
JDCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:49 PM   #104
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Miller_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 05:49 PM   #105
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I ran across some rules that another track is running. I saw them on another forum. Just posting it as an example.

7cell Nimh or 2s lipo. All stock except radio.

Just posting it out there!!
ckaspar is offline   Reply With Quote