R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 06-18-2008, 12:29 PM   #31
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
FWIW -- I am literally deciding at this minute which direction to drive tonight (with my Slash)...drive out to OCRC or to Pegasus.

OCRC = longer drive, $20 and that old So-Cal drama over split hairs.

Pegasus = slightly shorter drive, $10 and no drama.

My decision is becoming clearer by the moment...LOL

FYI - No plans to race these tonight at OC/RC...
Old 06-18-2008, 12:31 PM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisdomRacing View Post
That's not the vibe I've been getting from the noobs over on the other forum. They all use 6 cell packs. I never realized lipo was cheaper then nimh/nicd...that's news to me.
Seriously? Name a hard-core guy that runs Lipo. Seriously...look around the pits next time...

Quote:
Please rather then scrutinizing, tell me what you guys want.
A fun place to race where people aren't whining about 3-4 ounces on a 6 pound RTR truck

Last edited by Turbo Joe; 06-18-2008 at 01:51 PM.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:33 PM   #33
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Does OCRC have a scale or teching procedures in place for races? You may want to start there.

Or better yet, have Raydog throw another poll on the website.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:39 PM   #34
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchy View Post
Does OCRC have a scale or teching procedures in place for races? You may want to start there.

Or better yet, have Raydog throw another poll on the website.
LOL...apparently I'm the only one that owns a postal scale.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:43 PM   #35
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JDCrow Send a message via Skype™ to JDCrow

double post
JDCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:45 PM   #36
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JDCrow Send a message via Skype™ to JDCrow

Quote:
I never realized lipo was cheaper then nimh/nicd...that's news to me.
Let me see if I can help you out. For Racing you have this to consider.

NiMH are usually 1 Charge and Run packs per night.

(Prices per online major hobby shop)

NimH (Racers Edge 3600 mAh Stick Pack) Need 5 for best care of batteries.
Practice Pack.....$26 Pack 1
Heat 1..............$26 Pack 2
Heat 2..............$26 Pack 3
Heat 3..............$26 Pack 4
Main.................$26 Pack 5

Lipo (Orion 3200) Need 1 @ $67 and a Novak Low Voltage Cutoff Switch $29
You can run and recharge for the night of racing
Practice
Heat 1
Heat 2
Heat 3
Main

Someone help me with the math. You could use less NiMH packs, but they will not like the heat cycles over a short period of time.
JDCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:56 PM   #37
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
I don't know man. So are thinking we run 2 separate Slash races, one stock group and one modified? It'd work if we could get enough people...It all depends on what people are willing to do I suppose. Any outsiders want to give their thoughts on this?

A few of us ran these on monday night, as they just became available in the midwest, at our closest dirt track. we ran them in an "Open Stadium" class with a couple 1/12's nitro's. 1 ran box stock with nimh, 1 ran with a 8.5 and 7.4 lipo and I ran mine with stock motor and 7.4v.

Bottom line, from my view on the stand ,was everybody was pretty close, finish order was 8.5 slash, nitro cen, 12T lipo slash, 12t nimh slash, nitro cen.

The 8.5 couldn't really use all it's motor with track conditions, except on the long straights so it was even with the nitro's. The 12T's could use more of the motor through the entire track, but none of the 5 could hit any of the doubles let alone the table top.

IMO, for us it doesn't matter, all of us had a good time, but I am sure as we run these more and start to fiddle with them tuning will play a role.

On the carpet, the way they handle with stock tires, 8" ramps, to much motor, your in the wall at the end of the sweeper or flipping over the boards into the 180's.

We did decide though that when the stock motor cooks, you will be able to replace it with up to a 10.5 BL, as that is the stock option, and as someone else said most who race already have one.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:09 PM   #38
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Quote:
I'd like to restate that I am NOT a race organizer. I'm trying to mediate between a couple different groups and apparently am doing a horrible job because now no one on here seems to be happy. This class, to me, would be all for fun. I wouldn't really care so much about winning...but it would be nice to know that no one else has an advantage over me...I get enough of that as it is. Please rather then scrutinizing, tell me what you guys want.
One thing you'll have to accept is that when setting up rules, you will never make everyone happy. You will be lucky to get half of the people happy. You'll have to make a decision on the rules and stick to your guns. After a few weeks you can look at the results and see if there is a need for adjustment, but you don't want to shift too much or people will have to buy new gear to keep up.

My opinion - start with tight restrictions so that it's easier for everyone to get exactly what they need and have fun.

The Slash is so far from a "hard core" racer that I would like to think that anyone in the class wouldn't be taking it too serious, but I've learned enough to know better. If people want to complain about your rules and say it's too slow or too limiting, there is always the other classes for them.
Miller_Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 01:45 PM   #39
Tech Apprentice

Here we go some mature posts to base a decision off of!

Turbo Joe - I see where you're coming from. I do usually see nimh/nicd being run and fewer lipos...especially in the stock classes. I also see what you're saying about such a small amount of weight on such a large scale truck. I'll talk to the people over on the other forum and see what they think of eliminating the weight equalization.

stitchy - They do not have a scale that I know of, which is why I was thinking throw on a few ounces to get it into a ballpark weight and run that way...don't worry too much about it, but at the same time, don't completely disregard it's existence (the weight difference that is).

JDcrow - Another good point. Though I am guilty of racing with a single nimh pack 3 races in a row on occasion.

ercwhtsd - Interesting...I'm surprised there was such a little difference. For the sake of keeping this cheap/spec, I'd like to exclude brushless in general, but interesting none the less.

Miller_Time - I agree with you. I'm trying to keep things simple but plain...for some reason I'm taking a lot of heat for it.

Like I've said, this is meant to be a fun class. I understand that someone might want to run a bigger motor and this and that, but I and a few others would like for this to be a cheap, fun and competitive class. By cheap I mean for the person that has nothing to begin with. Not everyone has a brushless ESC...especially if they haven't been into RC in the last 2 years. This class is aimed towards them.

PS: Feedback is gooooood
Old 06-18-2008, 01:50 PM   #40
Tech Elite

At Pegasus, we've pretty much decided on keeping the ESC, motor, tires and servo.

Considering that there aren't an unlimited number of people who race R/C in SoCal, it might not be a bad idea to try and keep any rules as similar as possible. It maximizes the number of potential customers for both tracks.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:54 PM   #41
Tech Apprentice

So by that you mean Titan motor with all Traxxas electronics, correct? I'm assuming everyone is good with lipo, too?
Old 06-18-2008, 02:00 PM   #42
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Yes, at Pegasus, we're all running the Titan motor, stock ESC and servo. Batteries are open. There is no teching, only banging fenders and having fun.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:09 PM   #43
Tech Apprentice

That sounds like a good plan to me...as long as my fellow off-roaders are ok with it.

Steering servo: (Stock) Traxxas #2075
ESC: (Stock) Traxxas XL5
Motor: (Stock) 12T Titan Motor
Battery: Open
Receiver/radio: Open
Tires: (Stock) Traxxas Tires
Old 06-18-2008, 02:21 PM   #44
Tech Elite

Thats how we are running it at Pegasus but that doesn't mean how it should be ran at OCRC. I think for both tracks this truck has the potential of bringing in a lot of new people to electric racing and keeping it simple will help accelerate that. It wont be long until a few that started racing with the slash long for more speed and performance. At that point they can move up into a traditional off road class by purchasing a race bread vehicle and thats goo for everyone. Let's not lose this opportunity buy making this more than it has to be.

Quote:
That sounds like a good plan to me...as long as my fellow off-roaders are ok with it.

Steering servo: (Stock) Traxxas #2075
ESC: (Stock) Traxxas XL5
Motor: (Stock) 12T Titan Motor
Battery: Open
Receiver/radio: Open
Tires: (Stock) Traxxas Tires

Last edited by JamesnMeyer; 06-18-2008 at 02:36 PM.
JamesnMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 02:29 PM   #45
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesnMeyer View Post
Thats how we are running it at Pegasus but that doesnt mean how it should be ran at OCRC. I think for both tracks this truck has the potential of bringing in a lot of new people to electric racing and keeping it simple will help accelerate that. It wont be long until a few that started racing with the slash long for more speed and performance. At that point they can move up into a traditional off road class by purchasing a race bread vehicle and thats goo for everyone. Let's not loose this opportunity buy making this more than it has to be.
I know what you're saying, but how are the current rules "more then it has to be"? The people on my end are used to tight rules and lots of competition. That's what desert racing is made of. I think the more regulation, the better...the only thing that has really changed is the allowing of lipo and locking the tires...which seem pretty reasonable. I still feel like adding weight to compensate is a very reasonable rule, but no one here seems to share my opinion.