Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Mamba Max with Sensored Motors >

Mamba Max with Sensored Motors

Mamba Max with Sensored Motors

Old 06-14-2008, 05:29 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Mamba Max with Sensored Motors

Anybody have experience with trying sensored motors with a Mamba Max, just leaving the sensor cable unplugged? I've heard mixed reports, but it's supposed to work ok. I just picked up a Hacker E40 5.5 turn (5800 kv) for my B44, haven't run it yet but it appears to be about as smooth as the mamba motors in just bench testing. Anyone else getting good results with a different sensored motor?
Old 06-14-2008, 05:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

HA! I chose the same...

I'm going to the ROAR Region 1 Championship race next weekend and I had to buy some new motors too... and I chose the same for my D4. I haven't tried anything other than my castle motors with my Mamba so I'm curious as well but from what I've heard, there should be no problems. It kills me to even try to use another motor because I'm so used to the smoothness and the power of my 5700 combo.. But the Hacker 5.5 seems to be a very close match on paper. Is the sensor wire prewired or is it removeable? Mine probably won't show up until Tuesday. I also bought the 6.5 which seems like a very close match to the 4600 for my T4.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:00 AM
Tech Regular

Cool! I'll be at the same race in 4WD and electric 1/8. The sensor wire is not removable, so I just coiled it up and zip tied it, not a big deal. I even tried taking apart the end with the wires to see if they are removeable from the inside (or unsolderable) and it doesn't look like it's possible. I supposed you could cut it if you're sure you won't ever need them, but it fits ok coiled up. I will hopefully try it out today at Glenwoods club racing if we don't get rained out.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:07 AM
Tech Addict

I was up there for the trophy race a few months ago and had a blast. Those guys run a great program and they're very helpful. I smoked a speedo (before ever trying castle) and there must have been 6 escs thrown into my pits to run! There's 5 of us from Ashtabula making the way up there. What tires are you guys having luck with outside?
Old 06-14-2008, 11:16 AM
Tech Addict

Just cancelled my HACKER order!! Go read the WNYRC.com threads... They got the exception to allow Castle motors at the ROAR race!!
Old 06-14-2008, 11:47 AM
Tech Regular

Yeah, I was there today when Drew got the word from the regional director about allowing them in the mod class. Too late to return mine. Oh well. We got rained out today, but ripped it around the small indoor dirt oval and it seemed pretty similar to the 5700.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:17 PM
Tech Regular

IMHO it should work.
It is only the ESC that needs the sensor to determine the position of the rotor and then calculate which of the three wires it has to "feed".
A sensorless ESC should be able to run any BL motor.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:41 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

If you want the Mamba to work at its best then you need run either the Castle motors or the Tekin sensorless series of motors. Those motors will work just like normal.

If your going to run sensored motors with the Mamba it will run them but it won't be perfect. More than likely on initial hit of the throttle it will hesitate some but once the car is moving it will work just like the Castle motors as far as smoothness goes. Any time you come to a stop and start up again it will hesitate.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:54 PM
Tech Regular

so I assume there is a difference in the build of the sensorless and the sensored motor?
Could you tell us what or how?
Old 06-14-2008, 04:03 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Low_E
so I assume there is a difference in the build of the sensorless and the sensored motor?
Could you tell us what or how?
I don't know as much about brushless as some but I can say that sensored and sensorless motors are different and built a little differently.

I think the hesitation might be less with the lower turn motors. From others I have talked with it seems like 13.5, 17.5 and 10.5 motors tend to hesitate more than the 7.5 or lower winds. I honestly don't know why but maybe because the lower winds spool up faster so the hesitation is less noticable.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:56 PM
Tech Addict

I tried to hook my extra MM up to my Vortex 5.5 in my XXX4-G+ while my LRP is out for repair and it didn't work worth a crap. I advanced the timing as far as it would go and it was slow as dirt and would not go into reverse.

I gave up and decided to work on my E-Maxx.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:05 PM
Tech Regular

slotless design, the magnetic circuit is "behind" the coil, much less reluctance torque

Few picture of a slotless motor http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/show...4&postcount=10
Old 06-15-2008, 07:39 AM
Tech Addict

[QUOTE=wyd;4539059]If you want the Mamba to work at its best then you need run either the Castle motors or the Tekin sensorless series of motors. Those motors will work just like normal.

[QUOTE]

I actually looked at those but they are not listed on the ROAR approved list. I found a lot of motors say "Meet ROAR Specifications" but they're not on the ROAR Approved list. Trinity's are like that too..
Old 06-15-2008, 08:46 AM
Tech Regular

the CC-motors are not aproved because they can't be opened and have bolts sticking out on the side which makes the overall diameter larger then the max span a motor can have, according to ROAR-regulations. Without those bolts and if the motor could be opened, they would be ROAR-legal, I guess.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

Ran my Mamba Max with an LRP Vector 4.5 and it was fine. No hesitation at all and was very smooth.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.