R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 06-09-2008, 11:02 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Default RC 10 T4 Diff

Hello,

I have a problem with my T4 Differential, it glide a lot, no matter the setup of the slipper. I can't get to accelerate on high grip surface without hearing my diff grinding badly on itself

I did rebuild it with new ceramic diff ball, as manual describe with diff grease and black grease. It work smooth but can't keep up on even short burst of power.

If there a way to get it back ?
Mister-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:40 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to OTE_TheMissile

I'm fine with everything Associated tells you to do when assembling a diff gear until it comes to the thrust screw setting. It tells you to bottom it out then back it off 1/8th turn or something like that; ALWAYS comes out too loose for me.

Really, diff tuning is a "by feel" thing, there's no one perfect setting that works for everyone. I can only tell you what a good one should feel like, you'll just have to fiddle with that screw until you find it. With the diff out of the truck, a good diff should be able to rotate (as in, the outdrives turn in opposite directions) smoothly and with as little a gritty feel as possible. But if you just go by that you can have it way loose. Take a couple of long screwdrivers or steel rods or whatever you have that can fit in the outdrive slots that'll keep them from turning. Now, try to get the gear to spin on the outdrives. A properly built diff won't allow you to.

Unless you drive in some really nasty stuff, you can leave out that little dust cap that goes in the outdrive that holds the screw head. Then to make adjustments with the truck still mostly together, all you have to do is pop the right rear camber link, tip the tire out of the way until the dogbone comes out of the outdrive, and reach in with your Allen driver to adjust the tension. Do it in little steps, no more than 1/16th-1/8th turn at a time.
OTE_TheMissile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:56 AM   #3
Tech Regular

"Take a couple of long screwdrivers or steel rods or whatever you have that can fit in the outdrive slots that'll keep them from turning. Now, try to get the gear to spin on the outdrives. A properly built diff won't allow you to"

I did that i can turn it if a put good strenth on it ... But the problem is that if I tight the thrust screw, the diff obviously does spin much less on itself but it make it harder as well, not good.
Mister-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:16 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

By your description it sounds like you have either something missing from the diff or have destroyed the thrust balls or diff balls. You should have a lot of travel in the thrust bolt even after you can no longer turn the diff gear while holding the outdrives. If you didn't, you wouldn't be able to tighten it up after it breaks in. Did you check your diff and thrust rings to make certain they aren't groved?
nutz4rcyktw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:14 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to K_King

Setting the diff is crucial with how you also set your slipper. The slipper is supposed to slip first. Perhaps you are setting your diff correctly but your slipper is just too tight? A good start on the slipper is locked down, then backed out 4 turns.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:22 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to OTE_TheMissile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-T View Post
I did that i can turn it if a put good strenth on it ... But the problem is that if I tight the thrust screw, the diff obviously does spin much less on itself but it make it harder as well, not good.
That's kinda the mark of a well-built diff, getting it set properly and operating smoothly. I use a fancy Teflon-based grease in the center thrust bearing, that's the big secret behind my diffs (and at $60 a pint for this stuff you'd better believe it makes a difference). The most important thing is to make sure the diff doesn't slip. As in, never. Not "little chirps are OK," no, all the diff does is act as a differential and nothing else.

4 turns out from locked sounds on the loose side but it should be good for a starting point (I'd rather start too loose than too tight). I run Stock Truck and I fiddle around between 3 1/4 and 3 1/2 depending on what gear I'm running. Most reliable way to check if the relationship between the diff and the slipper is good, take off the dust cover and have someone else keep the left rear tire from turning. Hold the spur gear with your left hand and turn the right rear tire with your right and look at the input shaft. If you can hold the spur gear in place and the input shaft turns as you turn the right rear, you're good. If you're turning the right rear and the shaft stays put, then the diff is loose (or the slipper's too tight).
OTE_TheMissile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:51 PM   #7
Tech Legend

If you build your diff exactly as your Ae instruction`s say, you will always get great performance and long life....

Things to check...
*If you contaminate your lube with the wrong grease for the
diff ring`s and ball`s , it will slip...

Always use Ae clear silicon
* Try switching out the ceramic for balls the the steel
the stock Ae parts work best for performance...
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote