Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
RB5 Diff Problems >

RB5 Diff Problems

RB5 Diff Problems

Old 06-08-2008, 09:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default RB5 Diff Problems

Hey guys I've got a Kyosho RB5 and am going though diffs like crazy. I may only get 3-4 runs on it and it feels really gritty. Is this normal? I ran a B4 and a T4 for a while and it seemed that the diffs lasted a lot longer. And help would be much appreciated. Thanks
Old 06-08-2008, 09:19 PM
Tech Adept

It seems like you might be building the diff incorrectly, or something could be binding because from what i heard, the rb5's diff's are the bomb. I would take the diff out of the tranny and totally rebuild it with the manual in front of you. Try to use carbide diff balls as well instead of the steel ones. And the diff should not be locked when running the car, back it off about a 1/4 of a turn. Make sure your slipper is set as well.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Something definately isnt right.....I have at least 40 runs on my first diff build running both Mod and 19T. Definately use either carbide or ceramic balls in your build. I use the Kyosho ceramics and love them. Put new rings and balls in and build per the instructions. I used the factory greases that came with the kit, but some people prefer to use AE clear and black greases.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

What are you using for lube? I find most of the grit comes form the thrust bearings more than the diff balls.

I have been sanding my rings with great success as of late. The work is a little more but its worth it in diff longevity.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

ok
Old 06-09-2008, 06:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the input guys. I've got everything to put the diff together so hopefully i can get this one to last.