R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 06-04-2008, 09:19 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Practicing without a track

I live in Kansas City, MO and I just learned about Fastlane Raceway. So I know they have practice sessions but what I am wondering if what is the best way to practice when you can't make it to the track? I live in an apartment and the parking lot is a pretty good size so I can practice my on-road handling but off-road the grass is too high and there isn't anything remotely close to just dirt.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:30 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Do you mean practice as in basic car control and keeping your thumbs limber? Or do you mean practice as in car tuning and advanced driving skills?

Basically, no matter how nice the car park or how manicured the garden is, it is never going to be the same as running on a prepared track.

So, really, if you are quite new to the hobby, the best practice is just around the car park, maybe using the drain covers as imaginary markings, just to get your eyes and your hands coordinated. When I was little we had a private drive outside our house and I dumped many batteries doing laps around the manholes!

If you are already quite skilled, then playing computer games can be quite a good way of keeping sharp, I always used to find that a blast on Gran Turismo before a race meeting would sharpen me up!
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:35 AM   #3
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
If you are already quite skilled, then playing computer games can be quite a good way of keeping sharp, I always used to find that a blast on Gran Turismo before a race meeting would sharpen me up!
Interesting. I'm looking more towards advanced driving skills. I suppose I'll just have to work on that at the track. Thanks for the info.
Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:57 AM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
Interesting. I'm looking more towards advanced driving skills. I suppose I'll just have to work on that at the track. Thanks for the info.
Yea, you gotta put the time in at the track. It's about shaving tenths off and that's what your gonna need to practice doing. Unless your a complete beginner then you need to learn consistancy.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:26 AM   #5
Tech Regular

you can also get those cheap cones for soccer or whatnot and make a simple autocross style track
artie's liver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:53 AM   #6
Suspended

As has already been said, no matter how nice a parking lot or backyard area you have to run doing so really does nothing for your driving skills except for the basics of car control (L/R) learning for newbies. Otherwise you're wasting your time and equipment.
I've known a lot of guys over the years, too many to think about or count, that did a lot of so-called parking lot practicing that then showed up at the track totally out of control and in many cases worse off than when they started. We used to call them parking lot queens.
If you plan on racing, save your running and practicing for actually at the track.
oldschoolracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:41 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Most has already been stated.

If you want to improve things, i would try setting up some corner markers (2 liter soda bottles, or milk jugs filled w/ water.) and practice taking them at different speeds which could represent the type of corners you might encounter on the track. 90 degree vs sweepers. Even setting up a slalom course can be helpful in chicane type conditions.

If you have a park nearby w/ a baseball diamond, thats probably better than a paved parkinglot.

You movements should be smooth and fluid. Try and take a corner in a rounded method rather than squared off or jerking motion. You'll develop a tighter faster line and can shave time off your laps.

Best to practice ON TRACK though since that will be the actual conditions you will face.

MOmo
"Im not a racer, but I play one on the Internet"
MOmo is offline   Reply With Quote