R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 06-01-2008, 04:38 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Questions about Discharging

Hi, I'm kind of confused on the whole discharging thing. So I wanted to know a few things:

1. Should I discharge after every run?

2. Should I discharge when I'm done with the battery for the day?

3. I've seen that you're supposed to leave charge in the battery if you're not going to use it for awhile, should I discharge it when I finally do?

4. What are the benefits of discharging and what can happen if I dont?

thanks
Motoxpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 08:55 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

What type of batteries are you using?
Old 06-01-2008, 09:46 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoxpro View Post
Hi, I'm kind of confused on the whole discharging thing. So I wanted to know a few things:

1. Should I discharge after every run?

2. Should I discharge when I'm done with the battery for the day?

3. I've seen that you're supposed to leave charge in the battery if you're not going to use it for awhile, should I discharge it when I finally do?

4. What are the benefits of discharging and what can happen if I dont?

thanks
im assuming u r running on nimh cells so here's wat i wld do:

Before every charge, i wld discharge the cells individually using a separate discharger cum equalizer. As its name implies, it discharges the cells individually & equalizes them to a same voltage(i.e.0.9V/cell). This process wld ensure that the cells are equalized thus eliminating the situation where one cell is hotter than another(much more apparent in used cells where diff cells starts to charge & discharge at diff rate). In the longer run, the cells wld perform better & last u longer.

As a general rule of thumb, minimum storage capacity for nimh is abt 500mah. it shld never be left at full discharge capacity.

Peak at the right time ....
Teinsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 03:49 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

Yea, I have ep 4200 nimh cells. So is it bad to not discharge? Could I just run a pack out then and then come back the next day and charge it to full?
Motoxpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 06:04 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoxpro View Post
Yea, I have ep 4200 nimh cells. So is it bad to not discharge? Could I just run a pack out then and then come back the next day and charge it to full?
for a more fuller charge & maintenance of batts, yes, it is recommended to discharge using the above method & not just discharging using your charger.

Peak at the right time ....
Teinsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:05 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to RC Dad

We put our NiMH packs away after the race with whatever charge is left in them (usu. 1/3 to 1/2 charge remaining on 4200 or 4600 packs) for up to two weeks. If they're going to be stored longer than that I prefer to charge them up to 80 % or so, then cycle them (discharge/charge) on the charger every 2months or so.

I discharge all matched sidexside packs to 0.9 V per cell and balance them in a tray before recharging the night before race day. Yes it takes a lot of time, but its well worth it for the consistent performance. If all cells don't discharge equally they won't peak at the same time either.

All our packs are repeaked immediately before the race for stock or 19T racing and it makes a HUGE difference in initial power output. Mod motors don't seem to be affected the same way so I don't always repeak unless its for a really long main. During the day I let the packs cool but don't discharge before recharging them. Usually they're even better on the second charge! By the third same-day cycle they seem to go flat - good run time but loss of punch - so we limit packs to 2 uses each race day.

Stick or unmatched packs I discharge with a Spintec Battery manager that somehow does an amazing job of keeping them balanced, then charge and store the same way.

Here's the advice from battery experts:
http://promatchracing.com/ibins.php
RC Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:37 PM   #7

Get a lipo and never have to worry about discharging again... screw maintenance!!!
Loop&Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:39 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Dad View Post
I discharge with a Spintec Battery manager that somehow does an amazing job of keeping them balanced, then charge and store the same way.

Here's the advice from battery experts:
http://promatchracing.com/ibins.php
I have 2 of these for sale lemme know if you want ill sell em pretty cheap.