R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 05-29-2008, 05:07 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to streetracer745
Default on-road tires for a 4wd buggy?

i have a 4wd buggy. it aint good... tis a tamiya df-03, but its really fast since im running a MM5700 in it. local shop holds parking lot races on weekends and ive been running a widened stampede and it actually does great. against trucks... there are alot of cars out there though. i dont want to run my TC there since the parking lot is rough... i can lower my df a little bit and put some tires on it and think it could do relatively well since it isnt too much involved in teh tracks. usually 5 turns or so at the most(small area...) what are some good on-road tires i could use on my 4wd buggy? or else what are some inexpensive tires i could shave to make slick and use as an on-road tire?

SMOKE TIRES, NOT DRUGS

46.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot and have no real value or truth.
streetracer745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:13 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/5511

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/5754
beast95451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:16 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to K_King

losi tapers will work too.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:36 PM   #4
Tech Elite

i dont exactly like dirt hawg tires... they dont seem to get great grip onroad... where can i get losi tapers?

SMOKE TIRES, NOT DRUGS

46.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot and have no real value or truth.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:18 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to K_King

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetracer745 View Post
i dont exactly like dirt hawg tires... they dont seem to get great grip onroad... where can i get losi tapers?

www.stormerhobbies.com

www.losipartshouse.com
Old 05-29-2008, 10:28 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

if you 4wd has 12mm hex drive, just use touring car wheels/tires.
jk racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:40 AM   #7
Tech Elite

yes it does. but the TC wheels and tires look funny. I was going to use some wheels and tires from a super rs4. they are taller and wider. but i cant find the tires in stock anywhere... will the losis not wear out pretty fast?

SMOKE TIRES, NOT DRUGS

Old 05-30-2008, 11:01 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I ran some old tapers for a long time...they all wear out eventually, but they work pretty well. I have a set of dirt hawgs that I use for my RB-5 and ZX-5 and they work OK...but I liked how the tapers worked. They're MUCH lighter.

The other thing to keep in mind is that off-road cars tend to transfer a lot of weight to gain traction. When you use tires that are TOO hooked up...on pavement, it's pretty easy to traction roll unless you really change the setup.
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 11:16 AM   #9
Tech Elite

well im going to lower it as much as i can without changing shocks. and ill probably put stiffer springs on it to help keep it from rolling around. i dont like dirt hawgs. i had a pair on a nitro rustler and they worked alright sure but... idk seemed like the crapo stock spikes worked better onroad sometimes. i might end up with them for my DI though if i cant find good tires... i was thinking maybe anacondas will do alright on a 4wd but they absolutely sucked on 2wd... and i also noticed that traxxas has straight slicks for the bandit... but traxxas tires usually arent that great IMO...

SMOKE TIRES, NOT DRUGS