Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Question on lipo storage after 3 months and precautions? >

Question on lipo storage after 3 months and precautions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question on lipo storage after 3 months and precautions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 01:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)
Default Question on lipo storage after 3 months and precautions?

Ok guys I had a heck of a busy semester in college and I was unable to dedicate any time to my new hobby. My 2's and 3's lipos have been sitting in a ammo box and lipo sack at about 3/4 - full charge. One pack did get used a bit before I had a break and retired the truggy for a bit. Well now its been 3 months or so and I have not checked them at all. They are inside so temps are fine but I was wondering if I should take any precautions before my 1st recharge and balance. Any help and suggestions are appreciated.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:06 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Plug them in and charge them. They should take a charge as though you used them yesterday.

I stored my Orion packs over 5 months and ran them without charging them first. They ran like I had charged them the day before. Those two packs have never been balanced and they are still perfectly balanced. Lipos are VERY stable in storage.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have seen some people leave batteries in their cars still connected to the ESC.
This is BAD. Even though the ESC switch is set to the OFF position, it will continue to drain your battery. Since the switch is in the OFF position the LVC will not activate and it will drain the battery down to eventually 0.
Make sure you disconnect your battery leads if you choose to leave your packs in your cars.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

thanks for the input guys, yes they were unplugged and stored in the bag as stated.