R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-04-2002, 09:19 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to nova7.5
Default MRC 959 super brain charger

Does anyone have feedback?Is it a fast charger?Does it handle nimh batteries?I need an extra charger so any comments will be appreciated!
nova7.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 10:06 AM   #2
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

It does handle NiMH Batteries, but the charger itself gets very hot. It doesn't have an internal fan. Other than the heat factor, it works ok. I have heard a couple other stories though.

A couple people have had problems with it though. SuperBrain thread
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 12:23 PM   #3
Tech Master

My friend has one....as far as peak charging goes, I can't trust it as fasr as I can throw it. Many many times I dumped in a race because of that think. I use the duratrax intelipeak chargers now, and havn't had a single problem, I recommend getting one of those....they aren't too expensive either.
Modena AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 11:14 PM   #4
Joe
Tech Regular

Hmmm..I've had this charger for almost a month now and hasn't given me any problems. It does get very hot, but I put it next to a fan to keep it cool. As soon as the warrantee expires, I'll put in a computer fan.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 11:06 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i thought they were worth the money but guy i race with had his catch on fire while he was out practicing last week. luckily his buddy blew it out then it was smoking bad. he went to unplug and and i saw the screen still had digital readings. so when the guy got back he tryed to peak charge a battery and it would charge but the charger got very hot.he did peak one battery with it after though. he thinks it may have been because he charged many batteries that day one after another and that overworked it.im not sure if it could have been because of a short somewhere. i thought they where decent chargers they are cheap and he never mentioned his false peaking or anything like that. im not sure about them now. it still works though im just not sure how well. we race tomarrow night, ill find out
Jarrod Langlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 08:57 PM   #6
Tech Addict

I had some false peak problems on my first outing. I had a 2000 pack dump after about 1 min and a 2400 pack dump at the 4 min point in the qualifier. They are used batteries but from reputable sources. I think its the charger. I suppose I could use the override option and "nuke em till they glow," but as attention deficited as I am I would forget about them and burn them up.
Racin Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 12:37 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

I've seen 3 Super-Brain chargers die in the last month. They don't seem to be made very well (poor quality).
DirtTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 01:10 PM   #8
Tech Apprentice

I have a 959, and I couldn't ask for more in a charger. It charges my batts perfect, wether they are hydrides or cads. It is a great charger and a wonderful value!
t3ghiadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 08:58 PM   #9
Tech Adept

it's a great rx pack charger. that's all i use it for.
dkj-M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 09:09 PM   #10
Tech Regular

i'm planning of getting one the 959 looks cool, i can't wait to get my hands on it! (if there's one available here in the Phil.) but as of now nothing beats my LRP Micro!, hey,a quality charger that's fits in your pocket?, and a price that fits your pocket too! hehe.
Old 05-17-2002, 09:50 PM   #11
Tech Addict

ttt
Racin Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 06:51 PM   #12
Tech Initiate

Default Re: MRC 959 super brain charger

Quote:
Originally posted by nova7.5
Does anyone have feedback?Is it a fast charger?Does it handle nimh batteries?I need an extra charger so any comments will be appreciated!
For $40 it's an excellent peak detecting fast charger. It'll handle NiCd and NiMh. Mine has not given me any trouble and two friends that have one are also happy. It does run hot if you charge back-to-back, but I installed a cooling fan on mine and it now runs just slightly warm.
The only thing I miss is a discharging capability, but hey, for the money...

Last edited by Babblefish; 05-21-2002 at 07:32 PM.
Babblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 01:23 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to mike_Webb

I bought one and it didn't work.... DC it did but when I plugged it into a wall it didn't.... I just use it to charge my receiver pack and Transmitter Pack.

Mike Webb
mike_Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 03:55 PM   #14
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally posted by mike_Webb
I bought one and it didn't work.... DC it did but when I plugged it into a wall it didn't.... I just use it to charge my receiver pack and Transmitter Pack.

Mike Webb
So what happened to your warranty? Or take it back to the hobby shop where you bought it. If they're any good, they'd replace it if bought within 10 days or so.
Babblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2002, 06:28 PM   #15
Tech Regular

mine works well i dont have any trouble out of it i use it for my rx and tx packs and also may sons 1700's for his TL01 but it is not intended for back to back charging. the guy with the fan mounted on his looks sweet and makes a lot of sense
nova racer is offline   Reply With Quote