R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Race Kit fans unite! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/223524-race-kit-fans-unite.html)

Dave H 05-24-2008 01:34 PM

Race Kit fans unite!

The Losi web site is running a survey on whether their new race cars should be offered as a kit or as a roller. This subject has generated a lot of "discussion", so hopefully all of you guys will log your Kit votes on the Losi site.

Chris__RC 05-24-2008 01:39 PM

I just seen that like 3 hours ago. I voted kit.

Cain 05-25-2008 01:21 PM

Ae has stated that more people demand rollers. I see that for RTRs, but for race level vehicles, I still find that hard to believe, but, like any company, they will do what makes the most money for them.

Edumakated 05-25-2008 02:53 PM

I like the pre-built rollers. I actually like wrenching on my car as I probably take it apart every week or so for maintenance, but I rather just buy it pre-built.

Eccentric 05-25-2008 03:11 PM

I just voted 'Kit'.

The 'Race Roller' thing sounds like a good idea at first for those folks that are either intimidated by a box of parts in poly bags (yet want to race), or just plain believe they don't have the time to build a kit.

However, these folks are only handicaping themselves in the long run. When they're at the track they will break a part and/or have a need to do maintenance (change out a spur, rebuild a dif, etc). They'll be flying blind and trying to learn how their car's put together while under a time limit (gotta get 'er back together by the next heat).

Heck, I ran into this with my AD2 that I'd bought used (and I've built many kits in the past). I had to learn the best way to pull it apart and put it back together in a hurry. If I'd built that car from a kit I'd have saved a bunch of time and frustration at the track. Somebody with less wrenching experience (such as the newb racer that "Race Rollers" are supposedly aimed at) would be in serious trouble and may get turned off from the hobby as a result (or hopefully learn from the experience and do a 'learning' tear-down/maintenance session at home).

I have a much easier time wrenching on my Revo (also bought used) since I completely tore it apart and rebuilt it from a bare chassis. If I'm ever forced to buy another RTR or 'Race Roller' type R/C car (or a used car), the first thing I'm going to do is competely tear it down and reassemble it!

When I was cutting my teeth on R/C in the early 1980's, only toy-grade R/C cars came 'pre-assembled'!!!! :D

roscoe71 05-25-2008 03:42 PM

im kinda 50-50 on this deal ive built alot of kits starting with the good ol kyosho optima 4x4 chain driven rig from the 80s to preasent. i like to sit down and build a kit but i also have a hard time finding time to do a kit. i bought a losi 8t pre built and it was awsome out of the box with no issues of build quality so then i was kinda sold on the race roller idea until i bought the rc8 i could not keep than thing together for the life of me and yes i took it to the track and raced it without going through it 1st but i never did touch the 8t and nevere had any issues with it but man that rc8 was a handfull. so after the rc8 i wished it would have been a kit. so i guess im kinda gonna lean towards a kit as eccentric said if you build it you will know the car better and in the end have more pride in youre rig and if it falls apart there is no one to blame but you. most real racers whant a kit and lazey racers whant prebuilt.

nwilcox88 05-25-2008 05:40 PM

Personally I like the kits, you learn about the vehicle as you build them, instead of rollers.

nick1023456 05-25-2008 05:56 PM

KITS

you get to learn the car so when you fix it, it will be easier

tschenck 05-25-2008 06:09 PM

I prefer the race roller. Its hard enough for me to find time to go to the track let alone enough time to set aside to build the kit.

F N CUDA 05-27-2008 10:19 PM

I didn't build my motocross bikes and they worked fine.
I never built a daily driver either. Gets me to work fine.
Manuals are for repairs.
If the roller is a quality build, should be no problem.
If the kit is the only way to get all the "Factory Team" or "CR" parts then that would be the only way to go to get the best car.
BUT, I never had a roller or even a "race roller" R/C car so only those who have them can really know how they've been workin out.
I've built my share over the years but I might buy a race roller sometime in the future in order to get a new car on the track right away.
I think an 8ight or 8ight T roller would be awesome!
I guess I'm pro choice on that matter IF and only if the best parts are available either way.

UN4RACING 05-28-2008 07:26 AM

Gas:
The down side is if you have an advanced way to build, oils diff lubes certain steps for setting it up you will have upon buying take it apart and rebuild it. And a rebuilt is never lock tightened very well.

Electric is a different story yet if your a picky builder you would have to strip it to rebuild it.

I don't know why they would do this its so much easier to just pack it and ship it rather to build it. You could get way behind on orders like that.

I'm voting kit. If I want an up graded kit thats built I'll buy from the BST.

EDIT.
Bummer it doesn't show the current vote?

Nay0k 05-28-2008 01:17 PM

As much as I enjoy building kits, I have to say race rollers all the way, in our fast paced world many people don't have the time to build a kit. The race rollers should come with a booklet for help with parts that are commonly broken or need to be maintained regularly such as diffs, control arms, etc. Not a full blown manual though.

F N CUDA 05-28-2008 01:24 PM

Actually a full blown manual wouldn't hurt.
Better to have it and not need it than to...

Creature 05-28-2008 01:25 PM

Kits, I love building. If Losi stops making kits I'll stop buying their products, its as simple as that.

Loop&Roll 05-28-2008 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by nick1023456 (Post 4477330)
KITS

you get to learn the car so when you fix it, it will be easier

ROLLER

Sell both its a personal choice!!