Wiki Posts
Search

Backyard track advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 03:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Backyard track advice

I am starting to clear an area in my backyard to build a track since I can't get to any real tracks for now. The dirt is fairly soft with very little clay but packable. It's primarily going to be used for 1/10 EP trucks and 2WD and 4WD EP buggies. I've got something drawn up and I'm attaching the drawing. All lanes can be between 7 and 8 ft. There is a slop to the area which I will attempt to lessen but not completely. The slope directions are indicated.

Any input, advice, anything before I start? Jump height/widths advice would be appreciated in particular.

Thanks for any help.
Attached Thumbnails Backyard track advice-rc-track.jpg  

Last edited by kuzo; 05-23-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

When you have a crossover, make sure someone can turn marshall anyone who gets stuck under the crossover and can't see their vehicle.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by nutz4rcyktw
When you have a crossover, make sure someone can turn marshall anyone who gets stuck under the crossover and can't see their vehicle.
The crossover is actually going to be a jump over with enough height to clear vehicles on the bottom. I'll probably have to narrow there so the jump isn't too far to make consistently. Although there should be a enough time for speed after that banked s-curve for a decent jump.

BTW, I forgot to add this. I am intending a counterclockwise direction.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

I have seen that type of crossover work and also fail. It will be fine as long as the jumping vehicles clear the ones below. If a jumper falls into the lower lane, well you get the picture. The slope should make the track more fun by adding some off camber to the turns.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:35 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Looks like fun....

The cross over will be cool we had one just like it at our old indoor track, as long as you make it easy to clear it wont be an issue. And it looks like the lead side will be long enough.
I wish I had room to do that it would be a blast.

The berms will need to be fairly tall, I think about 3' And the jumps could be about 2' tall. It all depends on how much motor and difficulty you want it. I would say make it pretty easy so there will be less marshaling. I know you have posse of racers so I guess you could all take turns.......

Looks sweet.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I would recommend at least 8' lanes minimum with the jumps just as wide with a maximum height of 2'. Here is a general idea:http://valleyviewrcclub.googlepages.com/media

This is my track that I'm currently building.

I would also recommend at least a 35-40 degree exit angle on the crossover jumps.

Looks good!!!
Old 05-23-2008, 09:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

looks good
Old 05-24-2008, 07:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the thoughts all. Hopefully I can clear brush and break dirt this weekend but if not next weekend will work. Just added a xxx4g to the mix so I want to get a good balance for all. I made the mistake of mentioning the track idea to my oldest kid's scout leader so now they'll figure out a badge to go for once it is completed. Maybe I can get them their construction badge and get them to assist in the digging...

VVCR - thanks for linking yours. I definitely needed the jump angles and heights. Do you think I need to slow down that long straight with a jump or two? Running 6.5 brushless in the 2 fastest trucks. 30+ feet with a downhill grade....