R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   MAX TEMPS OF NEU/ MAMBA MAX? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/223135-max-temps-neu-mamba-max.html)

NineHundred 05-21-2008 08:46 PM

MAX TEMPS OF NEU/ MAMBA MAX?

can anybody tell me what the maximum tempature i should let my neu1515/1.5d motor and mamba max esc get?

glassdoctor 05-21-2008 08:54 PM

Motor: use 200*F as a rule of thumb max temp. The magnets should be ok up to around 220, at least for brief periods. Some say a little more.... but you are playing with fire beyond 200...

Mamba: I've had one that regularly can hit 220's without any problems. They have thermal protection so it's supposed to shut down if it gets too hot. (I think the thermal point is around 220?)

glassdoctor 05-21-2008 08:58 PM

btw, I don't ever like to see my motors hit 200, even though it should be fine.

I use 180's as my personal "max" temp that I'm comfortable with.

HEAT 05-22-2008 07:37 AM

If a motor runs to hot would you gear up or dowen ?

glassdoctor 05-22-2008 10:19 AM

Could be either. :D

Generally, a setup that is geared too low will have the motor heat up more/before the controller. If it's geared too high... the controller will have more heat issues.

So, generally if the motor is getting too hot, try gearing up even though it sounds backwards. And if the ESC is cooking, try gearing down.

But.... this isn't always the case of course, and depends on the the entire setup... which esc, etc. An esc that can barely handle the setup might run hot no matter what... while a Monster Max might stay cool even when the gearing is too tall for the motor. So there are no hard and fast rules...

And some motors will run hot in a particular car no matter what the gearing. For example, a Feigao L can motor in a 1/8 buggy is going to run pretty hot even with a good gearing, while a Neu 1512 can be geared all over the place without cooking.

Edumakated 05-22-2008 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by glassdoctor (Post 4469349)
Could be either. :D

Generally, a setup that is geared too low will have the motor heat up more/before the controller. If it's geared too high... the controller will have more heat issues.

So, generally if the motor is getting too hot, try gearing up even though it sounds backwards. And if the ESC is cooking, try gearing down.

But.... this isn't always the case of course, and depends on the the entire setup... which esc, etc. An esc that can barely handle the setup might run hot no matter what... while a Monster Max might stay cool even when the gearing is too tall for the motor. So there are no hard and fast rules...

And some motors will run hot in a particular car no matter what the gearing. For example, a Feigao L can motor in a 1/8 buggy is going to run pretty hot even with a good gearing, while a Neu 1512 can be geared all over the place without cooking.

Hmm... trying to get my brain around this one. So if the motor gets hot, it is because it is spinning too fast hence the need to up the gearing? However, if you up the gearing, wouldn't it get hot because it might not be strong enough for the higher gearing?

My Neu's seem to run around 150+/- degrees on a track and typically less than 110 degrees on the street.

glassdoctor 05-22-2008 04:18 PM

Overgeared motors can also run hot... and pull a lot of current. But generally the esc will suffer first.

It seems odd, but undergeared motors can also run hot. And if it's undergeared, it's more likely that the esc will be doing ok (running cool) relative to the motor.