Wiki Posts
Search

Official: Novak's 1/8 Scale Nitro to Electric Conversion Kits

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 01:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default Big Orange

I am waiting on the conversion from Novak. I know there are others and many people are already saving the HV won't work in 1/8th. However many other issues are cropping up with other products and setups, so I am glad I have taken my time. My Hyper 7 is waiting (already stripped down) for electronics. I have run Novak for most of the 30+ years I have been in this sport, hobby, or whatever you call it.
I have had one Novak Dually (remember those) fail me. This was after I was run over by a 1/8 nitro buggy in practice. No other Novak product has ever let me down. I still have a T1 ESC in my RC stuff.....

All I can say is thank you Novak and go Orange.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:11 AM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by nutz4rcyktw
I am waiting on the conversion from Novak. I know there are others and many people are already saving the HV won't work in 1/8th. However many other issues are cropping up with other products and setups, so I am glad I have taken my time. My Hyper 7 is waiting (already stripped down) for electronics. I have run Novak for most of the 30+ years I have been in this sport, hobby, or whatever you call it.
I have had one Novak Dually (remember those) fail me. This was after I was run over by a 1/8 nitro buggy in practice. No other Novak product has ever let me down. I still have a T1 ESC in my RC stuff.....

All I can say is thank you Novak and go Orange.
+1 I have been a Novak fan/customer since the mid-80's, just ordered my conversion, can't wait to stuff it into my waiting Ofna Ravager & have some E-fun!
Old 05-23-2008, 09:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Pics of a home-made Novak HV6.5-based conversion here:

http://s92437987.onlinehome.us/ebayp.../e-storm-1.jpg
http://s92437987.onlinehome.us/ebayp.../e-storm-2.jpg
http://s92437987.onlinehome.us/ebayp.../e-storm-3.jpg
http://s92437987.onlinehome.us/ebayp.../e-storm-4.jpg
http://s92437987.onlinehome.us/ebayp.../e-storm-5.jpg
Old 05-24-2008, 08:22 AM
Company Representative

We have also started shiping our new Mod1, steel 5mm shaft pinion gears for the new HV motors.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
We have also started shiping our new Mod1, steel 5mm shaft pinion gears for the new HV motors.
Are these pinions hard enough to stand up to being used with the steel spurs on most nitro cars?
Old 05-28-2008, 11:56 AM
Tech Initiate

Smile

Originally Posted by ta_man
Are these pinions hard enough to stand up to being used with the steel spurs on most nitro cars?
+1 I have experienced problems with steel on steel with other cars/trucks and am also concerned about longevity of the pinions/spurs. Have you folks run them for a while under max load to see if they will hold up? I have several of the new 5mm pinions coming for my HV6.5. Besides wear issues I have also seen some glitching as a result of the metal to metal contact. Have you folks had any issues at all during testing? Any thoughts on this would be much appreicated. Thanks.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I haven't had a problem yet with my Hard RC-Monster pinion gears on RR 48T steel spur gear. The only thing that happens, is they just get a bit shiny where the contact is made. Sorry for all the pictures.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:37 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks Lutach, pics are worth a thousand words. Gears look good, mine came yesterday. The conversion kit shipped yesterday as well so I should have it by the weekend I hope. I'm doing the Ravager first but if it goes well I might convert my Hellfire too. Thanks again.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monsterbft
Thanks Lutach, pics are worth a thousand words. Gears look good, mine came yesterday. The conversion kit shipped yesterday as well so I should have it by the weekend I hope. I'm doing the Ravager first but if it goes well I might convert my Hellfire too. Thanks again.
The hard pinion gears are tough. You will have plenty of fun without any issues.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Here's mine on my Losi 8.

It actually looks different now as I had to lose the aluminum posts so the ESC clears the body. The Carbon Fiber ESC tray is now bolted directly to the chassis in between the battery tray and the rear chassis brace about 1 mm from the drive shaft.

As you can see through the windows, there is nothing higher than the center diff. now. It should handle pretty good.

Soon as Matrix Composites starts shipping the 8ight carbon fiber chassis, the RTR chassis will be replaced with it. Ought to look pretty sharp.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Novaktwo when will the losi kits be out ?
Old 06-02-2008, 06:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

As soon as some of you get your Novak conversions completed and have some run time, please post some results; such as run time, thermaling issues, etc. I am just now ordering mine as it just came into stock (Hyper 7).
Old 06-02-2008, 01:37 PM
Company Representative

The Losi conversion kits will begin shipping mid-June. We will also release info on offering certain components of the kits separately---battery boxes, motor plates, HS, etc.

Originally Posted by xxxtruck
Novaktwo when will the losi kits be out ?
Old 06-02-2008, 02:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

Finished product.

Some changes to hopefully avoid thermaling issues. Don't know if it will help or not.

May cut the front window between the Novak and Racing and install more of the mesh that's covering the fan there.

I'm trying some of the concepts I have learned over the years Air-cooling PCs and videocards for overclocking.

This Home Theater PC has been overclocked by a full Ghz for two years now, inside a cabinet with purely air cooling.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Murphster; 06-02-2008 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:04 PM
Tech Regular

Cool electric

just remember to put a sticker on the bottom of your chassis "put me down i'm electric powered" had a few guys confused when marshalling one of these cars when they could not hear the motor the thought it died .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.