Old 05-01-2008, 10:39 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default 1/8 converstion/motor mount

Should i go with the regular Novak kit.
http://www.teamnovak.com/password/no...kit_2000px.jpg
or this moter mount here is better.
http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail...od=RCMRC8mount

RC monter mount look more solid to me . Novak mount look fine but we can't see much. What does inclune Novak convertion kit?
mondenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:10 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

IMO the regular RC-Monster one is better. With the novak kit you have to use the novak motor. and the layout is kinda wonky with 2 packs and the motor mounted where the nitro one was. With the RCM mount you can run any system you want once you get sick of the Novak system overheating.
jhautz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:39 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Linkster Send a message via Yahoo to Linkster

I personally would go for the RC Product Design's Motor Mount/Kit.
It looks Factory built.
http://rcproductdesigns.com/EA8_index.htm
Linkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 04:14 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Get one from RC Product Design's , they look the best and everyone that has one is happy with it !
HEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:07 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Thx. It's look very nice. I like the setup of this Kit.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:06 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhautz View Post
IMO the regular RC-Monster one is better. With the novak kit you have to use the novak motor. and the layout is kinda wonky with 2 packs and the motor mounted where the nitro one was. With the RCM mount you can run any system you want once you get sick of the Novak system overheating.
Why do you say Novak kit lets you use only the Novak HV system and nothing else? Are you sure about that? How do you know, just wondering.

Also, how do the newly announced Losi 8 V3 Brushless Kits from Tekno RC compare? Or is it hard to say because they're not out yet and no one has actually tried them.
shurcooL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:01 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yes... it works only with Novak motors because the "mount" attaches via the center ring of the motor case. Poor description.. but check out the pics and you will see....
glassdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:47 AM   #8
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

Here are my thoughts on the setups:

Novak RC8 Conversion:
- Needs Novak Motor or something similar (no finned Neus)
- Chassis flex if present could be an issue

RC Monster RC8 mount:
- Can have limited gearing range depending on motor and battery choice
- Nice that its unaffected by chassis flex
- Can work with Neu motors and a variety of others
- Nice finish
- Usually in stock

RC Product Designs mount:
- More gearing range than RC Monster mount
- Backordered often I have mine on order since early april
- Not hard anodized finishing like RC Monster mount

I personally went with the RC Product Designs conversion because I wanted something that had the most gearing range as well as take the long battery packs, and also had a very factory looking battery tray that is bolt in. As I don't need it immediately when I ordered, I felt I could wait too. Dan is great, and has excellent customer service as well.

As for the Tekno RC8 Conversion, it should be about $225 from what Tekno said to me via email

I would say that if you can't wait, go with the RCM setup. You will need to do your own hand fitting of the battery tray, but other than that, its pretty good to go. Just make sure you don't go wild on the motor so you can retain some gearing range with there kit and read up on how to successfully run the plastic kyosho spur on the center diff of the RC8 if you go that route.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:29 PM   #9
Tech Regular

That's a nice comparison, Cain.

What are your thoughts on brushless setups for the Losi 8ight buggy? I don't think RC Monster has a motor mount for it, do they? So it's just Novak vs. RC Product Design vs. Tekno RC's V3 Kit at this time.

PS. As far as RC Monster vs. RCPD kits for RC8 go, the former is $50 and the latter is $120-170 if that's of any consideration...
shurcooL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:40 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shurcooL View Post

What are your thoughts on brushless setups for the Losi 8ight buggy? I don't think RC Monster has a motor mount for it, do they? So it's just Novak vs. RC Product Design vs. Tekno RC's V3 Kit at this time.

PS. As far as RC Monster vs. RCPD kits for RC8 go, the former is $50 and the latter is $120-170 if that's of any consideration...
RC-M Losi 8ight motor mount.

http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail...d=RCMLosiMount
Attached Thumbnails
1/8 converstion/motor mount-large__10_07_2007_11_06_losi%25208%2520assembled%2520web.jpg  

550 Mafia.
Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:56 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I have both the RCM and RCPD kits for my RC8. I would agree with much of Cain's assessment. The RCM fit and finish is top notch, but somewhat limited in functionality and requires more modification. The RCPD looks factory made, but the finish isn't quite as nice as RCM. I wound up using a combination of parts from both.

The RCM comes with a nice servo brace and receiver plate which I still use. However, the motor mount is limiting in that there is no where to place the ESC and your gearing options are limited with the RC8. I believe the lowest you can drop to is a 15 tooth with the finned motors. You also need to get the battery tray. This is a big deal on the RC8 depending on what motor you select. I run a high kv 1512 1.5d and having a 15 tooth on 4s makes the car too fast. You really need to run a 12 tooth or less with that motor on 4s.

The RCPD kit bolts right on and looks really nice installed. I love how there is a designated area for the ESC and the battery tray looks like it is supposed to be there. The only thing I don't like about the RCPD kit is that the battery position is limited. I recently ordered a customer RCM battery tray to see if I can play with battery placement for better balance in the car.

Either kit is great and both offer personalized customer service. Overall, the RCM kit is a little cheaper cost wise and may require a little more modification on your part while the RCPD is bolt on and go.

Sponsors: Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and my wife's bank account.
Edumakated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:07 PM   #12
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shurcooL View Post

I like how Teknos kit looks. I would have the order like this for the 8ight:

- RCPD
- RC Monster & Tekno (tie)
- Novak

The only issue I see with the tekno that I don't like is the battery tray. its not long enough for the longer cells so you need standard 1/10 scale sized packs, and for really long runtimes, you start to get heavy on that side unless you go with a 3S 8000mah setup. Also, only people I see selling 20C packs in this dimension in the 6000+ range is maxamps. But, it does have adjustable brakes. For those who need it, its a big plus.

As for Novaks, I really don't like how it looked in the 8ight. The battery was way pushed of to the side of the car. Imagine running a heavy 4S 6000mah lipo hanging off the sidee like that.

For the 8ight as far as RC Monster and RCPD goes, its a toss up. With RC Monster the conversion is about $90. RCPD is starting I think at $135 for the regular tray and $175 for the ultimate. I would say for the extra $45, you get the regular tray as a bolt in device versus having to mount up RC Monster's tray yourself. To me, I like bolt in, and would go that route. If you are at all handy though, could be negilble. I also think that RCPD tray has alittle more room for packs as well. RCM though has the better looking finish. If Dan from RCPD does start doing Anodizing of the mounts, he would have one killer looking setup.

My RC8 conversion only comes as an ultimate tray from RCPD. i'll give the Tekno a look when it comes out, but since I run long packs, its probably a no go anyway.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:18 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Here are my thoughts on the setups:

Novak RC8 Conversion:
- Needs Novak Motor or something similar (no finned Neus)
- Chassis flex if present could be an issue

RC Monster RC8 mount:
- Can have limited gearing range depending on motor and battery choice
- Nice finish
- Usually in stock

RC Product Designs mount:
- More gearing range than RC Monster mount
- Backordered often I have mine on order since early april
- Not hard anodized finishing like RC Monster mount

I personally went with the RC Product Designs conversion because I wanted something that had the most gearing range as well as take the long battery packs, and also had a very factory looking battery tray that is bolt in. As I don't need it immediately when I ordered, I felt I could wait too. Dan is great, and has excellent customer service as well.

As for the Tekno RC8 Conversion, it should be about $225 from what Tekno said to me via email

I would say that if you can't wait, go with the RCM setup. You will need to do your own hand fitting of the battery tray, but other than that, its pretty good to go. Just make sure you don't go wild on the motor so you can retain some gearing range with there kit and read up on how to successfully run the plastic kyosho spur on the center diff of the RC8 if you go that route.
very helpfull cain thx. RCPD it is. I did not know about it but i saw it somewhere before on a other Rc8 conv-mod. Thx a lot
Old 05-02-2008, 08:38 PM   #14
Key
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What are the pros and cons of the electri-clutch system tekno uses? Is it really necessary?
Old 05-11-2008, 10:20 AM   #15
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key View Post
What are the pros and cons of the electri-clutch system tekno uses? Is it really necessary?
If I recall correctly, there clutch system gives the feel of a nitro clutch setup, which if you are used to that will make driving easier. Especially if you have a heavy throttle pull finger.

I have also heard that it can cut down on initial cogging effect when using lower KV motors that you are gearing up high for sensorless setups.

I think those are the primary benefits.

if you are running what would be considered a "hotter" motor setup like a 1512 2D or faster, I dont' think you would need it as far as cogging effect goes. I run a 1512 2.5D and barely noticed a cogging effect when I went with the new software for a Mamba Max based setup.