R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-30-2008, 03:43 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Evader ST vs. Traxxas Rustler

I know there are websites that compare the two, but I don't want a "lined-pocket" view...I want real R/C people to tell me which one of these two would be good for bashing? And maybe to run a little faster later. I am planning on buying 6 of them for a new R/C club/park I am building and I will have all levels of drivers using them. At least until we get better at driving!!

Other RTR's are welcome for discussion, but I need to stay at about $180 per truck.

Thanks!

christ4life7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:07 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

The Duratrax is based on a very good Losi (XXT) design so at one time it was a race level car.

Stay away from the EXT version, to many problem (they cheapened it!!!)

===

Rustler, the local racers moved to Duratrax's!
RC10GT2-E, SC5M, RC10T2, Spec-R S2, FX10
tmail55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:07 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The durability and performance and specs of the sub $200 vehicles are so similar that you might as well pick the one with the best local parts support, which is usually Traxxas, but not allways.

The problem with starting a RC club with RTR vehicles is that most RTR radio systems are AM 27MHz frequencies which means there are only 6 channels. So its not possible for more than 6 people to drive at one time.

Practically every sub $200 RTR 1/10 vehicle I can think of (Evader, Rustler, Firestorm, Raven etc) is equipped with lousy radios and escs and servos and motors and usually require $50-100 in repairs and/or upgrades shortly after they are bought.

You will not believe me when I say this, but you will spend less money in the long run if you spend more money up front. I think you need to re-examine your budget and seriously consider something like the Losi Speed T that is loaded with value. It has brushless esc and motor AND a Spektrum based radio system for around $330.

There are brushless versions of the Rustler and Firestorm for around the same price but you will get stuck with an AM radio.
Ed237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 11:05 AM   #4
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

Keep in mind also that the people with the speed T are also having problems with blowing diffs from what I have been reading.

For your $180 price tag, does that include battery, charger,etc?

That new Traxxas Slash looks pretty cool. Would be something to have a race of those going around the track.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:50 PM   #5
Tech Master

i have a lot of experience with both the rustler and evader st. for bashing and newer drivers i would get the rustler xl 5 kits. they have a training mode on the esc that allows you to make it half as fast for newbies, the motors are the mabuchi type and will last much longer than the evaders stock motor and the rustlers servo is much more durable than the evaders.
the rustler will also be faster out of the box. as for the evader dont get the newer ext model. they are cheaper up front but with no bearings and no inserts in the tires they will need upkeep faster than the st.
also consider your replacement parts avalibility like ed237 said.
kvrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:08 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to RC Dad

We started out with one of each, but don't run either anymore. In my opinion the Evader is a slightly better race machine, but not by much. Common Losi parts such as wheels and bearings will fit the Evader which is convenient. Waiting for the broken plastic parts to be shipped back under warranty is not.

The Rustler gear diff is much more durable and requires less maintenance. As a basher or beginner race car I'd recommend the Rustler as long as you have local parts support! If I was starting a rental business Traxxas would be my choice just for the training mode.
RC Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:26 PM   #7
Tech Addict

I have done much the same, though on a smaller scale, I built a track, Then purchased two RTR's for people to use, My choice was also between the Evader and the Rustler, I ended up with 2 Rustlers, My final decision actually came down to the fact I would rather deal with Amainhobbies then Tower, that and I consider the Evader to be pretty damn fugly. I'm pretty happy with my purchase.

No idea why anyone claims all the electrics have to be thrown away, they are perfectly suited to the intended use and capabilities of the truck.
Metla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:56 PM   #8
Tech Initiate

Well, it looks like I'm going to get the Traxxas, but as far as local support....that is non-existent. There are no hobby shops around here anywhere I would have to drive about 60 miles to get to one. What I will probably do is get as many spare parts as I can and when they break, hopefully I will have that part.

What parts break more often (remember newbie drivers!!)?

I didn't know the Traxxas had an adjustable speed for newbie drivers....very cool!

Yeah, I'm not looking to get too hot and heavy right up front....what I want to do is create the interest, then we can hold fund raisers and more to raise the money to buy better cars. Or better yet! If the interest is there they can buy their own cars.....That would be the ultimate goal here.

And no it doesn't come with batteries or charger. I am going to get 2400 Wolfpacks and the Tower Hobbies Digital Charger.

And BTW....why does everyone hate Tower?
christ4life7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:47 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Cause they aren't Horizon Hobby!!

That should get some reply's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RC10GT2-E, SC5M, RC10T2, Spec-R S2, FX10
tmail55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:20 PM   #10
Tech Master

Good luck with the Rustlers. They are very durable which is great for a spec class for beginners. Try to stock up on a few extra pairs crystals to avoid radio conflicts. You wont be able to run more than 6 at a time unless you switch to 75Mhz radio systems.

People dislike Tower because it undercuts hobby stores.
Ed237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:08 AM   #11
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by christ4life7 View Post
And BTW....why does everyone hate Tower?
I don't hate Tower, They have never wronged me in anyway (though there hypocritical actions towards resellers is piss poor), I'm just really impressed by the service,prices, and range of cars and parts at Amainhobbies.
Metla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:20 AM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to RC Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by christ4life7 View Post
What parts break more often (remember newbie drivers!!)?
Those screw-in metal pins bend and anywhere the metal pins attach to. The a-arms and pivot blocks are the only pieces we ever replaced on our older Rustlers. Not sure if the new grey plastic is the same, but the screw-pins would eventually slop out the plastic in the a-arms and fall out. Rears seemed to be the worst for this, probably because the rear pivot block is also the tranny case which I was too cheap to replace!
Also get extra spur gears and those little friction nuggets. The plastic motor plate allows the motor to slip during crashes and you'll strip a few of these.
RC Dad is offline   Reply With Quote