Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Building Dirt Track...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 02:22 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Building Dirt Track...

How high should my jumps be, max and min? For a good fun track, nothing insane but a fun track to bash on?

Its for 1/10 scale and the track is 35' X 60'

Last edited by christ4life7; 04-30-2008 at 03:56 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention scale size
Old 04-30-2008, 05:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

thats the good thing bout dirt if its not big enough you can always make it bigger and better with a couple of shovels
Old 04-30-2008, 10:26 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by christ4life7
How high should my jumps be, max and min? For a good fun track, nothing insane but a fun track to bash on?

Its for 1/10 scale and the track is 35' X 60'
theres a thread one here where a member described building a track and materials used in really great detail... if you search, u'll find it.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

The search function keeps stalling out

We run 1/8 and 1/10 on the same track so debate the jump sizes constantly. In my opinion 'bumps' should be about 8-12 inches, 'jumps' 12-24 inches for 1/10 scale. Jumps should have a groomed/scooped face for a clean launch and its helpful to make a landing slope as well. Roll a tire down the track to see if the jump angle will provide the height/distance that you need.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:42 AM
Tech Initiate

yep search is broken.....
Old 05-02-2008, 09:39 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

at the indoor track i race at, the jumps for 10th scale indoor are quite big at times. 4-6ft. high and combos available to clear 30ft + at times. big air is great if the jumps are built properly with an adequate landing.
Old 05-03-2008, 04:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Here is my track for this year. It does not have any jumps yet, but it is at least done to this point.
Attached Thumbnails Building Dirt Track...-track2008a.jpg  
Old 05-03-2008, 05:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Simple answer to your question.

At the tracks I have been to the jumps are between knee and waste high, some slightly higher, though all are dependent on the ammount of dirt that you have available, and what you looking to accomplish.

If you want big air go with a big jump, ect. As for the landing - build your jump first. Jump it a couple of times to figure out where you will be landing and thats where the double or tripple should end.

For bumps, make bumps big enough so its a little tough to go through that section. Use your RC as a test and build till you get what your looking for.

Build what your going to have the most fun driving on.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by OG RC 10T
Simple answer to your question.

At the tracks I have been to the jumps are between knee and waste high, some slightly higher, though all are dependent on the ammount of dirt that you have available, and what you looking to accomplish.

If you want big air go with a big jump, ect. As for the landing - build your jump first. Jump it a couple of times to figure out where you will be landing and thats where the double or tripple should end.

For bumps, make bumps big enough so its a little tough to go through that section. Use your RC as a test and build till you get what your looking for.

Build what your going to have the most fun driving on.

i would suggest not building a booter and launching it to flats to see where the landing should be. build the jump, then build the landing. then adjust the lip on the take off or your speed to get through it. if it is just completely miserable, move your landing. trial and error plays a big part in track design, but there is no reason to break parts to determine where the landing needs to be. that will come with experience.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BobWoodhouse
Here is my track for this year. It does not have any jumps yet, but it is at least done to this point.
Looks good , I wish i had the room for a track but i have a dog in my back yard !
Old 05-04-2008, 11:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FRANKENSTEIN
i would suggest not building a booter and launching it to flats to see where the landing should be. build the jump, then build the landing. then adjust the lip on the take off or your speed to get through it. if it is just completely miserable, move your landing. trial and error plays a big part in track design, but there is no reason to break parts to determine where the landing needs to be. that will come with experience.
Landing your buggy flat a couple of times inorder to figure out where to put a down ramp will not hurt anything.

Not every jump has a landing ramp, many overshoot the landings at the tracks and how many bashers do you know that make landings for there jumps?

It would make more sence to jump once or twice, see where the buggy lands, and build a down ramp, than it does to just pick a place and adjust your take off ramp, or dig up and move your landing ramp.

If you just build a double and over shoot it, there is no difference than just landing flat. If you have a double and land noze first into the double because it is to far away you probally will break something.

Either way trial and error, but landing flat a couple of times is far less distructive than what your typical basher or serious racer will do to there buggies in an afternoon.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

We have just changed our track after 15 years of racing on it - but unfortunately we didn't have enough dirt (don't know if it's right word) so we have one really fast part without bumps (which will be there later). Some photos from our last race
HTML Code:
http://mkkosice.sk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=46&Itemid=1
It's for 1:10 and 1:8 buggy