R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-28-2008, 08:20 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default motor differences

im planning on trying to get a little more power out of my cars by changing motors and have a few ??? first off both cars im working on have esc's that will handle down to 18turn. right now the one has a duratrax 20 turn single in it and the other had a green machine 2 that i switched to a traxxas 20 turn.the green machine and traxxas motors seem to run about the same to me. why is that? what turn is the green machine? i understand that the lower the turn the faster the motor but whats the difference in single wind and double? if i were to go with something like a 19 turn komodo dragon would i be able to see a difference? i know thats alot of questions but im trying to learn before i do anything. thanks all BEEFY
beefytheroadrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:46 PM   #2
Tech Adept

green machine 2 may be a stock 27 turn motor. form the endbell, I see its timing has been advanced, so it can drain the same power as the 20 turn motor with less advanced timing. hope this may help.
TA05MS, F201, F103GT, RS4 Mini, TopForce (original), Mini Inferno, **Tamiya BMT 931 K4** "I am a new soul, welcome to the new world, so proud to joint the TEAM MORON. lalalala" We love Onions products, so touching. COL - cry out loud
zenithrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:56 PM   #3
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefytheroadrun View Post
im planning on trying to get a little more power out of my cars by changing motors and have a few ??? first off both cars im working on have esc's that will handle down to 18turn. right now the one has a duratrax 20 turn single in it and the other had a green machine 2 that i switched to a traxxas 20 turn.the green machine and traxxas motors seem to run about the same to me. why is that? what turn is the green machine? i understand that the lower the turn the faster the motor but whats the difference in single wind and double? if i were to go with something like a 19 turn komodo dragon would i be able to see a difference? i know thats alot of questions but im trying to learn before i do anything. thanks all BEEFY
What cars are you using? And what kind of driving do you do?

From you question I think you are using traxxas car's?
If you are using the Bandit cars. Get a good 19t motor. It will run faster and be more efficient than a stock motor. you will have to do some maint. on it to keep it in top condition.

If you don't want to do any maint. and are willing to go with a slower motor look into another traxxas stinger sealed can motor.

single double and more winds has a affect on how fast it spools up. generally used as a tuning aid on dirt to reduce wheelspin.
A single will accelerate harder than a double. but both will top out near the same.
A single is less effiecent than a double and so on. but with modern batteries it isn't as important.

Hope that helps some.
PS you can order a good tuned motor from Teambrood.com
Old 04-29-2008, 04:43 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

the car i am actually trying to get ready to race is a 95 rc10 worlds car. but im not sure if im going to go dirt or parking lot. also not sure of the classes offered in dirt. parking lot is limited to 27 turn. i guess i need to figure it out before i buy anything. at the same time though my neighbor has a b4 with a twelve turn and novak that just flies.but back to the orignal ? say i have a 20 turn single and a 20 turn double which would be faster and why??
Old 04-29-2008, 05:21 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You should just sell that old rc10 on ebay. There are collector's/restorers that would be happy to pay quite a bit of money for it...nothing crazy, but I'm sure you'd make enough to buy something newer (T4, B4, XXX, XXXT)...You'd be more competitive, more durable and would have something people actually carry parts for.

To answer your question though, the single will give you more power but a shorter run time (ie the battery will drain quicker). For racing this is the better of the two...just get some decent batteries and you'll be set.

But like I said before I'd recommend selling that rc10 before you beat it up and break parts. If you sell it, sell it as a roller (ie no electronics)...that's how it's usually done on ebay.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:41 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

thanks for the info. as far as selling it when i was a kid i always wanted a rc10 but couldnt afford it or con dad into it. well now i stumbled across this one and the guy just gave it to me to get it out of his garage. so thats why im thinking about parking lot racing. i think i will be less likely to break something. i think as far as offroad i will stick with my evader. its been good to me for three years now so im happy with it. thank you again