R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-28-2008, 03:42 PM   #16
Suspended

Thumbs up AE...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB FIVE View Post

Blue is better, didn't you know....
I know the sphere is hella smooth and the novak in my opinion is just as good i own both!...........
losidriver70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:57 PM   #17
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_King View Post
Why do you have such an attitude? How old are you if I may ask, because it seems that 90% of your posts are either downing someone on what they say, own, or ask about.

You need to get off your high horse, last time I checked you didn't own this site or do enough to just go around and be a dick to people.
You know it #1 rctech Jackass
Old 04-28-2008, 05:39 PM   #18
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Its definatley true that the LRP escs and motors do have their share of problem. Even it they didn't fail outright there was the problem going around where the ESC was applying drag brake even if you set it to 0!! Alot where sent back for that issue.

Even with those issues though I still really like my Sphere 07s. I think they are one of the smoothest, easiest to program brushless around I don't plan to get rid of them any time soon.

Also, if you do have a problem with LRP stuff they take care of you. I had 3 Vector motors go bad. (2) 8.5s that lasted about 1 day each, and a 6.5 that lasted around 4 months of weekend racing. They were all replaced with brand new updated units (all have sintered rotors now) totally free. Can't ask for much more than that, except for them to not break in the first place!!!

Tamiya 419x/Associated TC7.1/Sanwa M12s/Xpert servos
d16dcoe45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:50 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

Quote:
Jusrt like hpi firestorm is better then a losi xxx-t cr....
Your right, the Losi is almost as good as the argument you are trying to make. I mean, you can judge a car that you have never seen or driven before right? The losi trucks are sitting around before they get parted out. The firestorm is ready to rock & roll.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:30 PM   #20
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Quote:
I don't use a fan on all three of my lrp BL esc's

I think you need to understand what your talking about, If something is more popular and 10/1 people have it you will see more reports of a issue. I guess my 4 race buddy's with 9 spheres between us they are all fine.

Blue is better, didn't you know....
We just had a guy this week have to send his Sphere back for the 3rd time and he only runs a 7.5 with it. For whatever reason it spends more time flying cross country than actually racing on the track.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:35 PM   #21
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
We just had a guy this week have to send his Sphere back for the 3rd time and he only runs a 7.5 with it. For whatever reason it spends more time flying cross country than actually racing on the track.
Maybe it's him.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:48 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Castle sells as many BL car escs as the orange and blue, believe it or not.

ROAR approval for the Castle motors would be nice, but it doesn't matter anyway 99% of the time for 99% of us.

None of the tracks in my area care as far as I know.... plenty of people run the green motors.

The only race I know of in the midwest that won't let you run a MM motor would be the ROAR regionals. And I'm not sure they would care to tech it even then. I imagine it would be a problem at Nats though.....
glassdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:17 PM   #23
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

There are a lot of other systems out there that do different things. EVERY electrical component will have failure do to the uncontrollables in building and using them.

That being said, there are a lot of choices out there. I've used LRP's brushed stuff for years and never had one fail. I've never used Novak but have seen them go up in smoke, I've also seen them win Worlds and National championsihps!

Sensorless motors have a place in racing, it's just not settled yet. I love the feel of them in offroad.

To each his own.

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:02 PM   #24
wyd
Tech Legend

Quote:
Maybe it's him.
Not sure what the deal is as he don't run it any harder than the rest of us run are stuff. Oh well all the brands have bad apples from time to time.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:00 AM   #25
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

RandyPike & Wyd: what exactly have you heard is going on with the sensorless thing for Mod racing in ROAR sanctioned events?

More out of curiousity for me here, no one seems to care in the mod classes anyway.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:22 AM   #26
wyd
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
RandyPike & Wyd: what exactly have you heard is going on with the sensorless thing for Mod racing in ROAR sanctioned events?

More out of curiousity for me here, no one seems to care in the mod classes anyway.
I will have to see if they have any plans on this. You right everywhere we go no one cares what you run in mod...........it is mod and at least in offroad it is easy to over power the track so no one cares. Its more about getting guys to race and at this time no shop will turn guys away with the economy like it is anyways. They want as many guys racing as they can get.

My opinion is after Castle got burned some from ROAR they are not too interested in getting ROARS approval on anything. Now it is only my opinion but maybe Castle will have a different opinion.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:53 AM   #27
Tech Elite

I've seen a few Castle systems go bad in little 7.2 volt 1/10th scale applications, so its kinda a lost point that Novak and LRP systems fail as well under the same conditions.

You can't blame racers from using the Novak and LRP systems over Castle for the past few years, the Novak and LRP sensored systems were smoother - which is more desirable in a speed control, and worth paying more for over a cheaper priced system that cogs or is not as smooth.

Maybe now, since a recent update has just made the Castle systems smoother, you will see some in the winners circle at tracks.
RCHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:25 PM   #28
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

Sensorless motors are legal. The legality I believe is in the way the motor is built. The way I understand it is that the motor must be a Y wound slotted motor which our current Redline motors are not. Our currently available motor is a Delta wound slotless motor. We prefer this wind for a lot of reasons. Our motor has a ton of torque and a great smooth linear powreband.

You guys are right. Most clubs and tracks could care less what you run in mod. Most people over power the car anyhow. I prefer the R1 in mod with our Redline motor. The feel is butter smooth with a great powerband that truly needs to be driven yourself if you haven't done so yet. I've always offered up my cars to anyone who wants some wheel time at my local track when I'm there on a practice day just so they can try it.

Our new Redline motors will be ROAR approved design. They will also be sensored and will be out along with the RS esc. Stay tuned.

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote